• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) EGR and PCV valve- replace or delete?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Probably designed that way intentionally. It's also filled with some kind of mesh material. It has a ball cock on the bottom. In 1000 miles, it will half fill a rattle can lid.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I need to get one of the chinese catch cans for my '90, the PCV system can't keep up. But apparently my main oil leak is a galley plug on the back of the block or head apparently now... turns out before my main leak was the camshaft bolt, now it's all in the bellhousing...

Normally they're filled with a brass or stainless steel scrubber deal, kinda like steel wool but more coarse, just to have a BUNCH of surface area for the oil to stick to before it exits the top...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Well I got my exhaust fixed and now I can hear the engine. I can hear the EGR valve opening and exhaust flowing into my poor engine. It’ll turn off and on and I can feel a power difference. It’s probably worse now that there’s a bit more pressure in the exhaust system. And I have a constant CEL too. USPS needs to hurry.

Edit: turns out the noise is the AC compressor… but I figure the rest is still true

Last edited:

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I replaced the Egr valve and DPFE sensor. Turns out that noise really was the egr. It acts much nicer now and the only code I have is rich at part throttle. Hopefully a maf cleaning or replacement fixes that.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Here’s my catch can. I got some stainless steel wool to stuff in there because that little holey plate doesn’t seem like it would do much. The only filtery thing that came with it is a sintered bronze cap on the output side. The left piece is the top with the input and output and is upside down. Will see what happens.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I need to do something like that, maybe I'll find a small fire extinguisher or something... I looked on amazon and stuff and all of the catch cans are just catch cans that you have to drain, it's a whole lot simpler if they just self drain, the 2.3L is well suited for that since there's like 8" from the PCV to the throttle body... maybe I'll try to just make something to use a SBC valve cover PCV bushing on top with the 90 fitting on the PCV and put a 3/4" hose barb fitting on the bottom...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Yeah, I need to do something like that, maybe I'll find a small fire extinguisher or something... I looked on amazon and stuff and all of the catch cans are just catch cans that you have to drain, it's a whole lot simpler if they just self drain, the 2.3L is well suited for that since there's like 8" from the PCV to the throttle body... maybe I'll try to just make something to use a SBC valve cover PCV bushing on top with the 90 fitting on the PCV and put a 3/4" hose barb fitting on the bottom...
I’ve read other folks not happy with draining the catch can. What’s the other option? I haven’t found any self draining catch cans anywhere.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Basically you would just have the bottom as the inlet from the PCV area then plug everything but one fitting on the top going to the intake manifold, the stainless mesh separating the oil, after it shuts down the oil will drain back down to the oil pan, simple and self regulating...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Ahhh ok. So that’s basically an oil air separator. What about the water vapor, gas, sludgy stuff that is removed from the catch can every so often? I’ve understood that that’s the point of the thing. Or is that more of a worry for high performance engines and you would just rely on oil changes to get rid of all that?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That stuff will likely just stick to the metal mesh stuff and could plug up over time, that's part of why you want a large volume and surface area of substrate... yes, just an oil separator, Lima's have those but they're tiny and don't get it all...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I like the idea of the self draining back into the oil pan.

What is used to seal the system while the engine? A spring loaded ball valve?

I assume a hole would need to be drilled into the oil pan for the drain the feed into with a compression fitting to seal everything off.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you do it right you don't have to do jack... If there's enough vertical distance for what you're doing have it oriented downward and it'll drain back on it's own. On a 2.3L if you have something vertical from the stock PCV location with a 3/4" barb fitting on the bottom then a 3/4" barb at the top, a short piece of 3/4" hose then a PCV valve then a piece of 3/8" hose from the PCV to the intake should do it. If you're doing it on the breather side as long as the apparatus is above the valve cover and the valve cover side is on the bottom and it exits on the top to fresh air it will be self draining... just remember gravity is how it works and you want the oil to go back to the crankcase side of things...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals