• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Efi spark timing way off

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Some wiring diagrams here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/turbo_swap_wiring.shtml

You can't get higher that battery voltage, engine off, so not sure why you would get those higher voltage readings

VREF(reference voltage) should be 5volts
SIG RTN(signal return) should read as Ground
But these can be reverse on some years

Those are 2 of the 4 wires on VAF unit
One of the other wires is for VAT(air temp)
And one for VAF(air flow)
These 2 should read less than 5volts, thats the sensor voltage the computer uses to determine air temp and air flow respectively
found some broken connection to the vane on the harness, rewired the entire signal return ground to make sure it didn’t have hidden shorts. I have 5v in all the right places, continuity between ecm and all connections to all sensors, yet I still get error codes for every single sensor connected to the signal return 46 pins (ect, act, vaf etc) and although I get 5v and continuity to ECM at the vane, the voltages at VAF and VAT are off (4.70v and like, 19v?), so there must be a bad ground.

I notice the following:

key off: the ecm grounds and signal return pin 46 all beep for continuity to battery ground and ground in general.
Key on: none of those beep for continuity. Does that mean the ecm isn’t properly grounded?

happy Halloween! Guess I went as a diy mechanic this year..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals