• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC Relay Location

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i always had all 3 relays behind my airbox in the engine bay of the truck, never had a ranger or b2 2.9 equipped otherwise. and the tfi module is usually a pain in the dick aswell, ive bought so many replacements, whether ford original or not and sometimes they will be good for a few days, sometimes i never worry about it again lol..... rbvs are finicky trucks for finicky people lol.....almost thinkg there should be a religion

Joe321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
haha, I still can't figure this truck out, so it's going to my dads friend whose an electrical engineer at nasa, who apparently is a ford fan, so he says he can have it back up and running in less then a week, yey. I just want it to run, until I can piece together the drive-train I want, I want a EFI 5.0 with a 5 speed manul trans, and some f-150 axles front and rear so it'll be a bit wider so I can run some stock f150 rims and so the tires don't stick out so far like they do with all the spacing on the rim that's on their now.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha, I still can't figure this truck out, so it's going to my dads friend whose an electrical engineer at nasa, who apparently is a ford fan, so he says he can have it back up and running in less then a week, yey. I just want it to run, until I can piece together the drive-train I want, I want a EFI 5.0 with a 5 speed manul trans, and some f-150 axles front and rear so it'll be a bit wider so I can run some stock f150 rims and so the tires don't stick out so far like they do with all the spacing on the rim that's on their now.
lol....why would u want f-150 axles if u dont like how the tires stick out now?? im confused lol......u want box bronco axles if u wanna go that route

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
If that relay is going bad would it cause intermittent power loss? Still stumped on my 87 Ranger's random power loss on acceleration. Injectors have been replaced as well thinking I had bad injectors. Fuel pressure is good. I'm thinking either a partially clogged/damaged Catalytic converter, or possibly EEC related issues. If I give it full throttle the power loss immediately goes away....so I thought fuel issues but it has been ruled out with fuel system checks and fuel pump replacement.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oxygen sensor.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hmm, wouldn't that throw an emissions code and the emissions light on the dash?
Maybe, maybe not.

Also, not all of them had a bulb in the check engine light slot.

What I do know is that I have experienced that exact symptom set several times and it has always been either a damaged O2 sensor or the ground wire being off.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Maybe, maybe not.

Also, not all of them had a bulb in the check engine light slot.

What I do know is that I have experienced that exact symptom set several times and it has always been either a damaged O2 sensor or the ground wire being off.
On the 87's they didn't have a check engine light they had an emissions light, not sure if it has anything to do with O2 sensors but I'll get it replaced as well....the way it acts I was leaning towards a partially clogged Cat, but if that were the case I'd think it would suffer from power loss all the time, not just randomly. Does have a pretty bad egg smell when climbing the hill on the highway out of town which is why I was thinking an issue with the Cat.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On the 87's they didn't have a check engine light they had an emissions light, not sure if it has anything to do with O2 sensors but I'll get it replaced as well....the way it acts I was leaning towards a partially clogged Cat, but if that were the case I'd think it would suffer from power loss all the time, not just randomly. Does have a pretty bad egg smell when climbing the hill on the highway out of town which is why I was thinking an issue with the Cat.
The emissions light was an early form of a maintenance reminder.

The California emissions vehicles had an actual check engine light. On the non-Cali units the wiring is all there, you just have to add the bulb.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The emissions light was an early form of a maintenance reminder.

The California emissions vehicles had an actual check engine light. On the non-Cali units the wiring is all there, you just have to add the bulb.
Ahh ok. Thanks. So the light is just a reminder for emissions type maintenance and has nothing to do with error codes, got it. So that light is even more useless than I thought LOL. Ordering an O2 sensor on payday thanks...

An O2 sensor tells the computer how much air/fuel to give the engine correct?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
An O2 sensor tells the computer how much air/fuel to give the engine correct?
Exactly right, except no that's completely wrong.

The computer gives the engine no air at all. Your right foot gives the engine air.

The computer has other sensors it uses to figure out how much air is coming in and what the oxygen content of that air should be and adds fuel to that air based on a table it has. The oxygen sensor looks for unburnt Oxygen in the exhaust and is used to try and fine tune which part of the table is used. But if the sensor is sending a signal that says you are running super rich or super lean, when you aren't, because the sensor is faulted, it will cause all sorts of issues as the computer tries to adjust to a signal that isn't coming or tries to add or pull a bunch of fuel to get the sensor to switch.

Part of an oxygen sensor signal switching back and forth is to make sure it still works, not because we can't figure out the tuning.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Exactly right, except no that's completely wrong.

The computer gives the engine no air at all. Your right foot gives the engine air.

The computer has other sensors it uses to figure out how much air is coming in and what the oxygen content of that air should be and adds fuel to that air based on a table it has. The oxygen sensor looks for unburnt Oxygen in the exhaust and is used to try and fine tune which part of the table is used. But if the sensor is sending a signal that says you are running super rich or super lean, when you aren't, because the sensor is faulted, it will cause all sorts of issues as the computer tries to adjust to a signal that isn't coming or tries to add or pull a bunch of fuel to get the sensor to switch.

Part of an oxygen sensor signal switching back and forth is to make sure it still works, not because we can't figure out the tuning.
Ok, thanks ADSM08 for the clarification. Now the fun part how to get a 30+ year old O2 sensor out LOL. Just crawled under the truck to check and seems its a bit rusty, not sure if I'll even be able to get the sensor out to change it ugg.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Ok, thanks ADSM08 for the clarification. Now the fun part how to get a 30+ year old O2 sensor out LOL. Just crawled under the truck to check and seems its a bit rusty, not sure if I'll even be able to get the sensor out to change it ugg.
Warm the truck up first. Might come out easier if the exhaust pipe is hot. And use a touch of anti-seize on the threads of the new one when you put it in.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Warm the truck up first. Might come out easier if the exhaust pipe is hot. And use a touch of anti-seize on the threads of the new one when you put it in.
Thanks, I'll give it a try next weekend. Hopefully it'll come out my luck with repairing stuff never turns out well LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Oxygen sensor.
Thank you sir for your remote diagnosis skills. Got the O2 sensor installed this morning, power loss, idle problems, all gone...my 87 Ranger is back to work now. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals