• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC-IV tuning options?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Over the past few weeks a friend and I have adapted a GM Eaton M62 supercharger to a 4.0 OHV. I know that the M90 has more potential but I wanted to be able to use the charger without modifying it to a great degree and the commonly available GM variants are too long to do that.

I am running this on a 93 explorer 4.0 that has been installed into an 86 ranger and it uses a 94 Ranger EEC (I know its federal emissions but unsure of the code as the truck isn't currently at my house). The engine currently has the stock 19lb injectors and is running the stock pulley which gives me about 3psi, it runs fine like this but a smaller pulley is on its way and the math tells me I'll be at about 7 psi which is where I want to be. I also believe I'll need to move up to a 24lb injector to support this boost level.

I've been researching tuning for this and have come up with a couple different options. I've noticed tuned mass airflow sensors are a thing but it seems like a bandaid. I've also seen that I could put a piggyback chip in the EEC which seems like a better option. Are there people that can make me a custom tune on a chip without dyno time or would that be a bad idea?

I will be using this truck pretty regularly and will be using it as a truck still so I would rather be safe and leave a few hp on the table than go all out and risk damaging things. I have a wideband and gauge I'll be installing before I drive it too much so I'll be able to keep an eye on things just in case.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Time for you to divorce yourself from the EECIV. I am not up on all the aftermarket fuel injection setups, but they are becoming more and more common place and while they are still pretty expensive, they are coming down in price a little bit. You will be well rewarded if you get a computer system on it that you can work with.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you could have someone load a tune on a chip for you and send it out, ive known a few friends to do that, but the bestway especially when running boost is to do it on a dyno so you can watch you air/fuel levels throughout the rpm range. theres absolutely no difference between tuning your computer and a obd2 once youre on a dyno, hell, you could even do a street tune if you wanted.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running a MegaSquirt Plug and Play ECU on my 5.0 and it's great. The learning curve is steep--for any of the tuning but I'm a 70 year old digital immigrant and I figured it out. I don't know what they might have for the 4.0 but it's worth checking. DIYAutoTune.com

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've decided to go the route of using a Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. I'll be having someone tune it remotely. The up side is once I get a tune I'm satisfied with I can get a piggyback chip burned and pull the Moates to use on my next project (Turbo SHO powered Ranger anyone?) So it makes it a little more cost effective for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals