• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC-IV thingie problem

Rajendora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem: EEC-IV thingie told the plugged in diagnostic testing computer to go to hell. Diagnosis: Alzheimers. The poor old truck just forgets to start, or forgets it's running. Some days are better than others. I no longer call a tow truck, I just pretend to, so we don't look suspicious sitting there on the side or middle of the road, and then start it up 20 to 30 mins later. We finally got it to pull its pet trick on our long suffering mechanic, who finally dug out his 'old' diagnostic computer thing. We need a 'new' EEC-IV and I have no idea who to trust on this.. Mechanic says junk yard, but I'm thinking rain, weather, rust, and this is an Important Electrical Part.

I've gone cross eyed searching the forum. Anyone have a good honest parts place rec for this thing? And what model years are covered by this particular part, because our old 1988 Haynes and Chiltons manuals are very "this is so new!" Thank you for your time.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Any 88-92 ECM for a 2.9 will work.

You will need a manual ECM for a manual and an auto for an auto.

86/87 ECMs will look for an EGR and knock sensor that your 88 wont have.

I would just go order a remanufactured one from a parts store or online. Junkyards can be good but then youre still dealing with 30 year old electronics.

Changing the ECM is easy. Pull the passenger side kick panel, unbolt the plastic holder, unbolt the plug, reverse for installation.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It sounds like the problem is the ignition module, not the ECM. My '86 would shut down on the way home for work, and after trying to figure out what was wrong (with no success) it would just start back up about 15-20 minutes later. Installing a new ignition module fixed it. I've never heard of an ECM doing this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with Paulos, this sounds very much like the hallmark of a TFI module that is failing. They get hot, can't operate, the engine dies, and then 15-30 minutes later, when they've had a chance to cool off it starts working again.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I thought that to...but by the first line of the post i gathered that the EEC plug wasnt working...which a TFI wouldnt affect right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I thought that to...but by the first line of the post i gathered that the EEC plug wasnt working...which a TFI wouldnt affect right?
No but 100 other things, like corrosion on the pins, a broken wire, bad splice, or even the code reader itself could.

I used to have the Actron hand-held unit with the EEC-IV adapter and of the seven vehicles, including my Ranger which I know works because it talks to my Solus, that I tried to use it on it connected to none.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No but 100 other things, like corrosion on the pins, a broken wire, bad splice, or even the code reader itself could.
Once again going off information given...lol

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand what you're saying Rusty. When I got to the part when he mentioned 20-30 minutes, I immediately forgot about the code reader issue :), and didn't think about it until you mentioned it in your 2nd post. He should have got something from the code reader (at least 11,10,11), but like adsm08 said, the code reader or something else could be at fault there.

Rajendora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both mechanic and auto electrician say it needs a new 'brain'. We changed the TFI a month ago and it solved a lot of the problem, but this is from the code reader thing being plugged in and refusing to work with the EEC module. Also, putting in a new water pump thermostat really helped, but this EEC thing appears to be the end of the line.
Any 88-92 ECM for a 2.9 will work.

You will need a manual ECM for a manual and an auto for an auto.

86/87 ECMs will look for an EGR and knock sensor that your 88 wont have.

I would just go order a remanufactured one from a parts store or online. Junkyards can be good but then youre still dealing with 30 year old electronics.

Changing the ECM is easy. Pull the passenger side kick panel, unbolt the plastic holder, unbolt the plug, reverse for installation.
Thank you, I'm going with partsgeek if the mechanic doesn't mind. I was worried about the 'code' thing, because it says they need the vin number for the part? So that should be easy. Thanks for the change out info, too!

Rajendora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Paulos, this sounds very much like the hallmark of a TFI module that is failing. They get hot, can't operate, the engine dies, and then 15-30 minutes later, when they've had a chance to cool off it starts working again.
Yes, we changed the TFI and it improved a lot! Actually goes better than it has in years. When it goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals