• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC-IV Computer

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
Got a problem with my 86 B2, 2.9.
I have had this truck for about 20 years, it hasn't run in 6+ years, sat in storage for over a year and in the backyard for the last 5, about 3 weeks ago I decided to get it running. (so far that hasn't happened).
Before I moved it to my backyard, we tried to start it and blew a fusible link, that and the battery were the first to be replaced. Upon installing the new battery I noted the old battery had been installed backwards, posts were in reverse of where they should have been, I believe sometime while in storage, the near new battery that used to be in there was swapped for one that was shot.
What I have done: replaced the fusible link for the hot wire to the fuse block, new battery, removed the fuel tank and cleaned, replaced the pump and sending unit, pulled and cleaned the injectors and cleaned the fuel lines, new fuel filter, replaced the TFI, (remote mounted and tested), new coil, removed and cleaned the distributor, new cap and rotor, scanned the codes in the ECM, this is where the problems begin.
The ECM did not register on the code reader or a friends scanner, the engine cranks, but doesn't start, no spark, fuel pumps work, fuel present in cylinders.
Replaced the ECM with a re manufactured from Schucks, ran the codes after install and before attempting to start, all was well. Attempted to start, no go.
Rechecked the ECM for codes, no joy here, neither the code reader or scanner can connect to the computer. I have another computer that the scanner and code reader can find, and doesn't show any codes, but until I can find out what is cooking the ECM it won't be installed.
I have checked the continuity of the wires in the engine compartment and pulled the dash apart to check the wiring there, but haven't found any problems.
I am to the point of not knowing what to do next, I have spent many hours reading different articles online and testing the items as described, but still haven't found any problems.
Anybody have any thoughts?
I am open to most anything at the present.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You have fuel in the cylinders. Double check that there is no spark. Check PCM power relay then check power and grounds at PCM connector.

pdr51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check

If it was sitting outside that long -
Some critter may have chewed on some wireing and shorted something out. I've seen that happen. Also I'd check connrctions for oxidation, spider nests, etc. Hope you get it going. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals