• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Educate me on the V8 Explorer

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So, I sold by BII a while back and I want to get another RBV. I am looking at the 96-2001 V8 Explorer. I do not need it for a daily driver (work from home) and I am not looking to make a serious off road monster (No SAS or wild lifts).
What I want is something that can explore (Ha!) forest service roads, fire roads, do the Back Country discovery routes, etc. I want to take my wife to some old Ghost towns and use it as a camping rig.
I guess what I need to know is if the full time 4wd will work for this? Would a rear locker (Lunch box style) work to keep it going? I don't think the full time had any low range, right?
I know that I can swap out the t-case later for one from a truck( BW 1348 or something), but at first I just want to use it.
I guess I should explain why I want a late 90's V8 Explorer. I found that it is the only SUV that I can lay down in the back of. All other SUVs are too short, or are full sized (Suburban, Expedition, etc. ) I want the smaller truck, but be able to lay down in the back.
I also want the V8, it has more power and has a better transmission. Overall in my opinion a more reliable truck than the V6 version, so why not start with it.
So, other than the question of will it work for mild off roading and exploring, what years should I look for. I know that the V8 engine changed and got the better GT40 heads, but what year? I also do not what the 2002+.
Anything I should avoid? Looking at 1996-2001, no 95's due to the lift kit issue.
The plan will be minor lift, aggressive tires, winch and other recovery gear.
Looking for suggestion and advise from the inmates here.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm sure there are some Explorer fanatics here, even more over at Explorerforum.com

those guys are just as crazy as we are, which is a good thing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as said AWD(all wheel drive) is different from 4WD.

AWD usually has a 30/70 power split, 30% power to front axle 70% power to rear axle
AWD uses a viscous coupling instead of direct drive

4WD uses 50/50 power split and direct drive to both axles

For mild off-roading AWD is fine and better than rear 2WD or FWD, AWD would also be better in snow or other slippery situations

There were no changes in the Explorer V8 from 1996-2001, 1997 and up all had GT-40 heads, mid and late 1996 also had them usually

The 4 speed automatic trans was the 4R70W, seemed to last well if serviced, used from 1993 to 2004 in many Ford models

As said Explorer forums would have more detailed info as to what are the best years

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I have not been on the Explorer forum in a while and for gt about them. So I posted of there too now.
The reality is, when I get one it will be parked 80% of the time. It will see a trail if I am lucky maybe 2 times a year and serve as a back-up vehicle the rest of the time.
My wife has a 2wd Escape, great for normal DD duties, good MPG and comfortable. However when it snows, and that is not often here, it does not go up the driveway. So, the Explorer would get use then.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought all Ford Escapes were FWD, very odd it has that issue unless you have a very steep driveway, lol.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
An AWD 96-01 V8 Explorer can be turned into a 4wd pretty easily with a 4406 transfer case. The procedure is well documented at Explorer Forum.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4406 I'd sell

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4406 I'd sell

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. However I don't own an Explorer yet and it may very well be a few months down the road. I need to sell my 1965 Chevy C10 first.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've been DDing a V8 explorer for a year and a half, 238k on the clock, it was BEAT when I got it, trans was fried, rear spider gears were wasted...

Anyway, gets 16-18 mpg depending on what I'm doing (10 or less if in the woods going slow). I put in a 4406 T case, not hard, just takes taking the front gas tank bracket off and tweaking it some, dropping the rear strap most of the way so the tank can go down a few inches, getting a 4406 from a '97-03 F150, a front driveshaft from a 4.6L expedition and a rear driveshaft from a 5.8L expedition and a 1310 to 1330 conversion U joint for the front diff, cut a hole in the floor and just slit the carpet once front to back and you don't need much of a boot (I have a sock shoved in the carpet, took up the small gap). I didn't go crazy on the hole for the shifter and did it while the trans was out so it was easier...

Anyway, I like it, the power is nice, it definitely gets out of it's own way. If you get an open rear axle (unlikely, most V8 explorers were fairly loaded with options so come with limited slips) you can get an Aussie locker which are awesome, have one in my Ranger. But I shimmed up the LS in my Explorer and it works pretty good for normal use.

I cranked my torsion bars a little and am running 31" mud terrains with very little rubbing on the torsion bars, would be better with wheels with more offset, apparently Jeep wheels are inset a bit...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. However I don't own an Explorer yet and it may very well be a few months down the road. I need to sell my 1965 Chevy C10 first.
Too bad you are on the wrong side of the country. I know a guy who seems to buy old C10s just because they are for sale. Heck, he even named his business C10.

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Too bad you are on the wrong side of the country. I know a guy who seems to buy old C10s just because they are for sale. Heck, he even named his business C10.
You should send me his contact info, it is in good shape and mostly rust free, so he might want it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just another note, a twin size air matress fits perfectly in the back of one of these...

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, as said AWD(all wheel drive) is different from 4WD.

AWD usually has a 30/70 power split, 30% power to front axle 70% power to rear axle
AWD uses a viscous coupling instead of direct drive

4WD uses 50/50 power split and direct drive to both axles

For mild off-roading AWD is fine and better than rear 2WD or FWD, AWD would also be better in snow or other slippery situations

There were no changes in the Explorer V8 from 1996-2001, 1997 and up all had GT-40 heads, mid and late 1996 also had them usually

The 4 speed automatic trans was the 4R70W, seemed to last well if serviced, used from 1993 to 2004 in many Ford models

As said Explorer forums would have more detailed info as to what are the best years
I think the 1997 and newer 302 had the gt-40p heads. The spark plugs were at a different angle and can cause header issues.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually on my SECOND 2nd gen 5.0 "Explorer", my current vehicle is 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0/auto/AWD,
my previous 5.0 was a 1996 Explorer.

On the GT40 HEADS ALL 5.0 Explorers have either the early GT40 or GT40P heads, but starting in mid-1997 Ford switched to the later slightly different GT40P heads, I am unsure of the actual exact difference, but one thing I can tell you, LOOK at the exhaust manifolds, if you see a cast manifold you are looking at a GT40P headed engine, because the earlier GT40 engines were fabricated from tubing and plate (I.E. "Shorty Headers") Which I AM TOLD do not fit the "P" heads.

On another issue to install a "lock Right" or other lunch box locker may well require replacing the diff carrier anway because ever 5.0 model I've ever seen has been factory equipped with a Limited slip (and 3.73 gears)

On another note on the AWD 44-04 Transfer case: it isn't simply an Viscous coupling in the Power path to the front axle, It is a planetary differential gear-set REGULATED by a Viscous-Coupling. So don't do anything stupid like trying to drive around with a driveshaft removed!
Because of you do you will cause the viscous coupling inside the transfer case to come apart rather spectacularly...

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
For what you want to do, honestly I wouldn't worry about changing the transfer case. Just put a limited-slip in the rear if it doesn't have one (most do) and if you lift it at all with bigger tires then add 4.56 gears. Maybe a limited-slip or air locker or E locker in the front.
96-01 is liftable and has a stouter driveline than 02-up.
A stock Explorer with a limited-slip rear and good tires is surprisingly capable off-road. You might not need to do anything to it other than good shocks and tires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals