• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Economical aluminum 8.8 rear cover,

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I have test fit the T Bird "IRS" aluminum cover , Mustang "IRS" cover and found they will work in unmodified condition. They do not interfere with factory sway bars as they are on the front side of the housing , and the spare tire is far enough away to not be an issue. I went with the latest offering from Ford which is a finned aluminum piece. Ford states it will not work with the internal ABS ring but I found I could remove the offending internal rib with a die grinder. I know i posted that elsewhere on another post. I had the opportunity to test the other two covers this weekend. I pulled both from a local wrecking yard for $20 a piece just to see. As a bonus the T Bird and Mustang have tabs on the casting that could allow hooks or lights to be bolted on plus both have drain plugs that the stamped steel cover doesn't. Maybe this information has already been "out there" , I just wanted to share.
Randy

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do the aluminum covers have the same internal contours as the steel covers? I.e, does the oil still flow correctly?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Do the aluminum covers have the same internal contours as the steel covers? I.e, does the oil still flow correctly?
Is there really a FLOW issue? I believe the oil level is high enough that the ring gear and the bottom of the bearings are all sitting in the pool of oil. Or am I really all screwed up on this?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When you start moving there is no more pool of oil. The oil is being sucked up and slung around the housing by the ring gear acting like a pump, the oil spray is then directed out to the axle tubes and to the pinion bearings by the shape of the diff cover and channels in the housing. There is very much a flow to diff oil.

Soome of those "high capacity" aluminum covers actually starve the bearings for oil because they don't direct the oil spray properly.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Aftermarket differential covers often make oil heat up faster, due to the oil not having a smooth flow path as they did with the stock cover. You're essentially working the oil harder. Banks did a study on this. It depends on the internal shape of the cover though.

Also, some of the Ford oem aluminum covers have fins on the inside, and depending on how thick your ring gear is (4.10, 4.56 etc) the covers may need some internal trimming to fit right. A forum member ran in to this issue a while back. He had to grind a fin down on the inside for his to fit.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I was one of the guys that had to grind off one internal rib, that was about 180,000 miles ago, still no issues.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have one of the new Shelby ones but I need to grind down the one fin yet for my ABS ring.

I doubt factory Ford aluminum covers have much issue with flow.

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I ended up using the "Shelby" cover that has internal fins and ground one fin as 86merc5.0 did. neither of the other two had internal ribs as they were both designed for use with the ABS ring. The internal ribs are for additional heat sink reasons and have no effect on oiling. That would be a BAD thing as the front pinion bearing relies on oil being "slung" forward off of the ring gear.
I will probably sell the Tbird and IRS covers at my local swap meet.
Randy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals