• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EcoBoost in a Ranger? How long before its done?

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking alot about the new Ecoboost v6 that they are using in the new F150s. Im still been researching the engine and I personally am not ready for doing such a swap but I just wanted to see what some of you have thought about.

I meen if you can put a 302 or a 351 in a ranger how hard could it be to swap in one of those new Ecoboost into a ranger?

Maybe in a few years down the road if I feel more capable of doing such a swap I would LOVE to do one into my ranger.

Any of you have any thoughts of doing this maybe in a few years once they are more available from junk yards?

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i think its at least a year out.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to see it. I think it should be a factory combo. Could be what saves the Ranger and bumps it to a class all its own, with a few updates in the modeling of course.

But with that said, I think it'll be a while before anyone does it. The engine is still an infant, so not many wreckers to be had. But even if there were, its a complicated swap. The technology in the new ecoboost is insane. The electronics are ages beyond your average diy home builder. Beyond many mechanics. Hell, if you don't work directly for Ford's team of engine builders, it would be a formidable swap to take on.

Unless you could take every last component required from one vehicle, map all connections, and reassemble it and hope to God it fits as is. Which I'm sure some lucky soul will be blessed with that incredible coincidence.

I would love this swap, even if its not the sweet 3.5 ecoboost, the what is it 1.5? Would probably still be awesome. At least compared to the power to mileage radio of the 2.3.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure? http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/ has it as one of the optional Engines listed on the 2011 F150, I could be wrong. Either way im sure it will be a couple years atleast before you can find any wrecked f150s to donor for a Ecoboost swap. I was just wondering if any one else had been thinking about this and maybe already had some plans for one.

I think it could be a an ideal swap, I meen 365 HP at 5000 rpms and 420 lbs of torque at only 2500 rpms. Would be great for offroad or street use I think.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to see it. I think it should be a factory combo. Could be what saves the Ranger and bumps it to a class all its own, with a few updates in the modeling of course.

But with that said, I think it'll be a while before anyone does it. The engine is still an infant, so not many wreckers to be had. But even if there were, its a complicated swap. The technology in the new ecoboost is insane. The electronics are ages beyond your average diy home builder. Beyond many mechanics. Hell, if you don't work directly for Ford's team of engine builders, it would be a formidable swap to take on.

Unless you could take every last component required from one vehicle, map all connections, and reassemble it and hope to God it fits as is. Which I'm sure some lucky soul will be blessed with that incredible coincidence.

I would love this swap, even if its not the sweet 3.5 ecoboost, the what is it 1.5? Would probably still be awesome. At least compared to the power to mileage radio of the 2.3.
See thats what I was wondering about too, because from what I have read it sounds like a swap that could be a PIA, but I think it would be so worth it to swap over a 3.5 ecoboost.

Also I think if Ford was smart they would take the ranger and make the correct changes for it to handle that kind of power properly and make a 3.5L Ecoboost ranger, I know I woud buy one! Just imagine that power, and potential gas milage in a Ranger.....just gives me goose bumps thinking about it haha, and all that from a V6.

I meen with that kind of HP that would make a wicked Pre runner or street truck, but with that kind of torque it would work just as good for a mud running, rock crawling offroad truck too.

Last edited:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what you gotta do is get it running standalone then its figuring out how to get the tranny with it.

the F150s i drove had the select shift tranny and that was pretty computerized im sure.

i think it would take the whole drivetrain plus the computers and everything in the dash that goes with that.

now will that fit? i think it would need a fully custom modified dash.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The amount of electrical BS that would come along with such a swap is ridiculous. I'd much sooner swap in a 5.0 and turbo it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See thats what I was wondering about too, because from what I have read it sounds like a swap that could be a PIA, but I think it would be so worth it to swap over a 3.5 ecoboost.

Also I think if Ford was smart they would take the ranger and make the correct changes for it to handle that kind of power properly and make a 3.5L Ecoboost ranger, I know I woud buy one! Just imagine that power, and potential gas milage in a Ranger.....just gives me goose bumps thinking about it haha, and all that from a V6.

I meen with that kind of HP that would make a wicked Pre runner or street truck, but with that kind of torque it would work just as good for a mud running, rock crawling offroad truck too.
Forget the Ecoboost 3.5 with bigblock kind of power, the 3.7 is what the Ranger needs.

the F150s i drove had the select shift tranny and that was pretty computerized im sure.
The transmission in my '02 F-150 is all computer controlled too.

The amount of electrical BS that would come along with such a swap is ridiculous. I'd much sooner swap in a 5.0 and turbo it.
If I was going to get nuts with it, I would rather have the new 5.0 with the standalone wiring kit. Both availbable NIB from Ford Racing. 411hp out of the box, blowers are available if more is needed... and it is good enough for some fairly decent boost.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
something im wondering? how much of the stuff could be trimmed off to get it as close to barebones as you can?

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, Something to remember, Im sure at some point some one said "Hey I wonder if we can fit a V8 in a Ranger" and you know there had to been alot that said "No cant be done" . Ya it might not be worth it, but I think its a bit early to say its not worth it. It might not be, but it doesnt hurt to think about it haha. I know its something I will problubly wont be able to do but Im sure some one else might do it.

It was just a thought I was kicking around and figured I would see what you all thought.

Eventually I want to do a v8 swap, most likely a 302 or a 351 maybe but that will be a few years. Which When I do I plan on finding a donor truck (F150 most likely) for the Engine, tranny and the front and rear axle (Im sure you can see where I want to go with this) and stuff, any way thats a different topic.

I just was talking to some one earlier about the ecoboost and thought it would be pretty cool and thought I would see what some you thought and your imput was on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, Something to remember, Im sure at some point some one said "Hey I wonder if we can fit a V8 in a Ranger" and you know there had to been alot that said "No cant be done" . Ya it might not be worth it, but I think its a bit early to say its not worth it. It might not be, but it doesnt hurt to think about it haha. I know its something I will problubly wont be able to do but Im sure some one else might do it.

It was just a thought I was kicking around and figured I would see what you all thought.

Eventually I want to do a v8 swap, most likely a 302 or a 351 maybe but that will be a few years. Which When I do I plan on finding a donor truck (F150 most likely) for the Engine, tranny and the front and rear axle (Im sure you can see where I want to go with this) and stuff, any way thats a different topic.

I just was talking to some one earlier about the ecoboost and thought it would be pretty cool and thought I would see what some you thought and your imput was on it.
People were poking V8's in things long before the Ranger was even thought of. They had the same basic operating proceedures that the displaced engine had. Not much similar between an '11 Ranger and an '11 F-150EB.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People were poking V8's in things long before the Ranger was even thought of. They had the same basic operating proceedures that the displaced engine had. Not much similar between an '11 Ranger and an '11 F-150EB.
Im well aware of that......I think you kinda missed my point. My point was, at some point where some people say "cant be done" some one else does it.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I think it would be worth the work for sure. But as new as this engine is, the availability is microscopic, so the work alone may be worth the results, but take the price into consideration, and that will change quite a few minds.

I'm not calling anyone poor, just saying that probably 90% of Ranger owners are working class, which means no 5-7 thousand extra minimum to drop into their truck, and no extra car to drive to work while doing the long complicated swap. Plus, if you had that extra money and time, wouldn't the new BOSS 302 be too tempting to pass up with over 400 ponies? And that hair raising sound that every guy dreams about. Just think about it...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
with the money that it'd take, i'd find something else and just leave my 4.0 alone lol

now it would be freaking awesome, but not in a dang ole ranger...in something better

b2 baby!!! 3.5 ecoboost in a b2! oh wow, that.... would be awesome!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im well aware of that......I think you kinda missed my point. My point was, at some point where some people say "cant be done" some one else does it.
Anything can be done, there is a pic floating around of an Allison V12 in a 60's Mustang.

The question is the outcome is worth the time and money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals