• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ebay Dana 35 questions

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
I purchased a used Dana 35 with 4.10 gears from ebay. The seller's description was:
"You are viewing a third member for a 1991-1994 Ford Ranger or Explorer. This is a reverse rotation member(like factory) with 4.10 gears, professionally installed. It is set up for 27 spline axle shafts, and has a open carrier case. The unit is in excellent working conditions and is ready to be installed. I am parting out my Bronco II and have no need for it anymore. Please contact me with any question."

I emailed the seller and asked him how many miles were on the unit. He replied about 5,000.

I received the diff today via UPS and did my inital inspection. I can slide the pinion gear about 1/8" back and forth. No telling how long it has been like this. The gears appear to be OK, but I know the diff won't run long in the condition it is in.

What advice can I get from you guys as to how to proceed? Do I call BS on his description that it is in excellent working condition and get my money back? Or do I just have it rebuilt and take my lumps?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Are you saying the pinion gear has movement in the bearings back and forth, or are you saying that you can rotate it 1/8 a turn before it contacts the ring gear?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i think he means that the pinion will move in and out on the ring gear 1/8th inch... like the pinion nut and bearings are not tight down on the pinion

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You are right 4.0B2. I can grab the pinion and push and pull it a good 1/8" in and out. The gears don't look bad, but I think it will take a rebuild to make it worthwhile. The seller said he would refund my money or pay some towards rebuilding. I am dropping it at a local shop to see what they think.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
You are right 4.0B2. I can grab the pinion and push and pull it a good 1/8" in and out. The gears don't look bad, but I think it will take a rebuild to make it worthwhile. The seller said he would refund my money or pay some towards rebuilding. I am dropping it at a local shop to see what they think.
I'd take the quote, scan it in, then send it to the seller and tell him he needs to either give you that amount, or take the whole thing back, refund your money, and pay shipping for wasting your time and getting your hopes up.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a big huge ordeal and will workout semi-nicely. Always a bummer when sales go south....

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is always a gamble. Earlier this year I ordered an explorer rear axle with 4.10's and a dana 35 with matching gears from the same seller. They called to clarify that I really wanted a 98 explorer rear axle and a carrier for a 94 Ranger. I said YES, I am doing the explorer axle swap and need the TTB carrier. They got confused and sent a diff for a 99 Ranger. They knew they screwed up and refunded my money. They told me to keep the front diff. I need to get it on craigslist or ebay at some point. I also have the old Ranger L/S 8.8 with 3.73 gears to peddle too. I got delayed a bit when I crashed the scooter and broke my neck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals