• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

eb44 vs fw44 or other??? with leafs

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about D44 outers? I priced the swap months ago and it came out to $500ish which included the reamer tool plus wheel adapters.

RCV's cost more than a D60 no matter what way you cut it.

I would recommend the D60 swap as well but I understand it isn't for everyone.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Soo much EB hate....it makes me sad.lol. I lucked out and found an EB geared how I wanted (4.09) for under $400, and it came with a trashed FW axle for a disc brake donor. Even with buying new calipers rotors, pads, joints,bearings, joints, shafts, balljoints, and lockouts I was still under $650 total. If I was to buy all that for a 60 I'd be another 500 in the hole not including the axle itself.

That said...If I didn't get deal on my axle I would have gone straight to narrowed 60 no doubt.

I have a spool, Spicer 760 joints, and a its held up to my doubler,mild 4.0, and 35's so far. Im going to go out on limb and say Bobby and I have different driving styles.lol

-PlumCrazy

hey....you lucked out for sure....

then again....it all depends on your definition of luck...

you payed more for your 44 swap then i did initially for a 60 swap...but i lucked out and more or less ended up with a free swap in the end...

kryptonitecb, generally where i shop a ttb knuckle swap is around 150-200 with careful shopping but usually less then that and often with fresher brakes etc as well.. but i dont disagree that 500 bux seems easy to approach or cross depending on time table and what things go for in your area....

careful selective shopping is key.

but its a time money thing. might take quite a bit of work as well.

if you pick through a few trucks you can get choice parts....if you have a place to stash your choice parts temporarily and put your select assembledge together it gets you the best bang for buck when your list is complete and its check out time.

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
let me just start by saying plum... youre truck is THE SICKEST THING EVER!! hahaha ive read your build thread like 12 times hahahaha but yeah i dont get how everyone on this thread is talking shit about eb's when the majority of people on this site have them??? thats why i asked how truly good they were. but i totally get everyone saying that a d60 is better but they're not for everyone... and actually i can get my hands on one really cheap right now with 4.09's out of a 97ish f350 too... about $600 - $700, (actually my friend just bought a d60 with for his f250 for $1200 thinking he got one hell of a deal, and i laughed my ass off at him hahahaha before i told him about my cheap one) but i think im included in that "not for everyone" category. so im mainly looking at d44 options.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the eb axle shit talking is based on general comparisons verse value and perceived values based on perceived superiority.

if you get a bling upgraded disk brake eb axle for 700 bux then by all means have at er.

but to spend 800 on a stock drum brakerust ass eb axle that your gonna make nice arms for when 100-150 dollar dana 30's are laying around in large numbers, then do cost benefit comparisons directly to a ttb35 that already under your rig its hard to get past certain assumptions when being truly objective.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kryptonitecb, generally where i shop a ttb knuckle swap is around 150-200 with careful shopping but usually less then that and often with fresher brakes etc as well.. but i dont disagree that 500 bux seems easy to approach or cross depending on time table and what things go for in your area....
The $500 was the high end of my estimate in case I needed new calipers, brake shoes, etc. Plus I couldn't find the reamer tool for less than $150 which was the bulk of the price. And wheel adapters to continue running my current wheels. I like to estimate on the high end just in case.

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
so i just started looking around on CL and d44's and im finding quite a few HP 44's for around 200 most out of jeeps some from early f150's... any difference on the diff placement?? and im thinking maybe a 44 for the rear as well??? but whats the width difference? are 44 rears full width or eb width? and btw most im finding are disks already. so other than matching gears, shafts, and u joints, what else would be a big deal for a little weekend worrior?

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a fw 8.8 for the rear, or cough up for a 9in

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I dont understand why everyone wants a damn 9". 8.8s are just as strong and dime a dozen for 31 spline, disc swap is cake and gears are cheap. If you really want no c clip then buy the kit and still have less in it than what everyone thinks their 9" is worth.

9" is nice for swapping gears and all, but in our application you normally only have to do it once.

-PlumCrazy

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont understand why everyone wants a damn 9". 8.8s are just as strong and dime a dozen for 31 spline, disc swap is cake and gears are cheap. If you really want no c clip then buy the kit and still have less in it than what everyone thinks their 9" is worth.

9" is nice for swapping gears and all, but in our application you normally only have to do it once.

-PlumCrazy
I'm glad I'm not the only one. .2 inch more ring gear isn't going to make that much difference. From what I gather 8.8's are very strong too.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
What c clip eliminator are you talking about plum?

Also I think a lot of guys go with the 9 because of a huge aftermarket for them.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Probably the Superior Gear setup shown here:
http://www.superioraxlegear.com/AXLE KITS-c-13.html

I've only seen a couple rare instances of broken 8.8" shafts. If you got disc brakes, it's not going to let it walk out of the housing anyway, so I think the c-clip thing is mostly a moot point.

The 9" for sure keeps it's popularity because of the huge aftermarket. I see it a bit like the D44 from earlier though... I would say skip it for a 10.25" if for some reason the 31-spl 8.8" just isn't enough. Again there is some weight difference, but unless you're speeding through the desert or something, it doesn't seem like it would matter much to me. If anything, the weight is down low and may actually improve your CoG.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Probably the Superior Gear setup shown here:
http://www.superioraxlegear.com/AXLE KITS-c-13.html

I've only seen a couple rare instances of broken 8.8" shafts. If you got disc brakes, it's not going to let it walk out of the housing anyway, so I think the c-clip thing is mostly a moot point.
Thats the kit. But like you said, the disc brakes will keep the a broken shaft in the housing long enough to limp out of the woods.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

-PlumCrazy
Damn, you are on a roll!

I agree with you. My 8.8 is just fine and plenty strong for what I do. Actually my SAS was unnecessary. I bought a 9" for $30 and sold it the next day for $150:icon_thumby:

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah see ive heard the opposite... ive heard that 8.8 had a crazy bad habit of striping out shafts and the housings cracking... im taking it thats not true??? and its already got and 8.8 just not the full width... id rather just get an 8.8 fw and a 44fw but exactly what donors would have a fw 8.8??? and the same for a fw44??

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
yeah see ive heard the opposite... ive heard that 8.8 had a crazy bad habit of striping out shafts and the housings cracking... im taking it thats not true??? and its already got and 8.8 just not the full width... id rather just get an 8.8 fw and a 44fw but exactly what donors would have a fw 8.8??? and the same for a fw44??
I dont think I have ever seen a cracked 8.8 housing. FW8.8 came in late 80's thru mid 90s F150s and E150 Vans. FW 8.8 and Explorer 8.8s are 31 spline vs the 28 spline Ranger 8.8.

-PlumCrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals