• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

eb suspension question??

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so im looking to do an eb (70's) dana 44 and 9" swap on my 92 ranger reg cab im just wondering if its as easy as what people say. what kinda fabing is involved in doing this swap. im told that you can preetty much cut the ranger suspension off and the eb parts bolts right up with little to no fabbing. does the trac bar just bolt into place or fabing. If anyone can help me on this :icon_confused: :dunno:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The trackbar will need a mount made or maybe bought and either bolted or welded to the frame. Your wheel bolt pattern will change too. There is more to it yhen meets the eye but nothing non to difficult. I would try to get an axle with front disk brakes on it already.

What do you plan on using your truck for after the swap?

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If you go with with James Duffs extended radius arms, and track bar mount, EB/RBV coil buckets, its a pretty much bolt on affair. But thats all big money....

Otherwise you will need to buy either a premade trac-bar mount and fab it to work for you, or fab your own trac bar bracket.

Also, you will need to fab a tranny mount and possibly either mod the current buckets to take EB coils, or buy some generic ones (but will still require a minimum of fab possibly).

Its not hard if you know how to use a torch, grinder and of course you know how to weld good. If you don't, it'd be a pretty duanting, time consuming SOB.

Course, if you have buddies that will do the above for some :beer::beer::beer: then you are all set to go once to gather the majority of the parts.

Also, this is not a over the weekend project (for some it is, but for most it is nto). If you know what you are doing count on 1-4 weekends or 2 weeks solid(ish, all persons take a different amount of time). The most time consuming part, is the research involved to figure what to buy, and what to do with what you buy.... If you have never done this thing before, get another DD, and park the project rig for an extended period of time. Crap always creeps up, and the proccess will always taking longer than expected...

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_welder::icon_welder:

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
James Duff had been working on a kit that would allow swapping of a solid axle into RBVs, though last I heard they were caught up on the trackbar bracket and I haven't heard any further on it in awhile, so like mentioned, you may have to do some fabbing on it.

Also keep in mind the EB D44 front axle (aside from the front brakes) is not an upgrade from what you currently have under your '92 unless you swap aftermarket shafts into it that have the bigger u-joints. Same goes for the 9" rear if you have an 8.8" now, it's right about the same thing with it's 28 spline shafts.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It is a more involved swap than just cutting stuff off and bolting stuff up. First you need to decide what size tires you want to run and what you want to use the truck for. Set a budget and then double it.

You can call JD and talk to them about the swap. Lots of good info and they will help point you in the right direction. If you got about $1200 you can bolt it right up with their parts. I have the first kit they made on my explorer and my friend Trevor (Foxracin) has the second. Check his build thread in the under construction section. He has put way more miles and beatings on his setup than I have. Not to mention his is also a daily driver.

Make sure to have disc brakes on the front axle. Either stock or by one of the many swaps available. The trac bar bracket is a part not to take lightly. Overkill is the way to go as this is the part that locates the axle under the truck. Stay away from the steering box area as it already sees enough stress. You can mod your stock x-member or build a custom unit.

Just call JD and talk to them. They have been doing a lot of work on this since first doing it on my explorer. They have also done the SAS on a full-size bronco and are getting ready to do it on an IFS Sport Trac for the newer gens.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your not wanting to go full width on your truck, then I would narrow a high pinion full width D44 axle and then go from there. The EB axle is a low pinion.

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im looking to buy all suspension parts from broncograveyard and mount to the ranger would like to run 35" for now than move up to 38" or bigger.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know how well a D44 would hold up to 38's let alone an EB one doing it. If you plan on going with 38's later, put a D60 under your truck now.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im looking to buy all suspension parts from broncograveyard and mount to the ranger would like to run 35" for now than move up to 38" or bigger.

Well if you are going to buy all EB suspension pieces and try to mount that to your ranger then you will have some serious fabbing involved.
If you're going to spend the money to buy parts, why not buy parts that bolt on to your ranger??? If you have to fab them to fit anyway, use junkyard parts.

Agreed, 38s are seriously pushing the limits of a 44. By the time you upgrade axles and such, you could have put a 60 in.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It is a more involved swap than just cutting stuff off and bolting stuff up. First you need to decide what size tires you want to run and what you want to use the truck for. Set a budget and then double it.

You can call JD and talk to them about the swap. Lots of good info and they will help point you in the right direction. If you got about $1200 you can bolt it right up with their parts. I have the first kit they made on my explorer and my friend Trevor (Foxracin) has the second. Check his build thread in the under construction section. He has put way more miles and beatings on his setup than I have. Not to mention his is also a daily driver.

Make sure to have disc brakes on the front axle. Either stock or by one of the many swaps available. The trac bar bracket is a part not to take lightly. Overkill is the way to go as this is the part that locates the axle under the truck. Stay away from the steering box area as it already sees enough stress. You can mod your stock x-member or build a custom unit.

Just call JD and talk to them. They have been doing a lot of work on this since first doing it on my explorer. They have also done the SAS on a full-size bronco and are getting ready to do it on an IFS Sport Trac for the newer gens.
So what's the deal? Did they finally get the trackbar bracket issue figured out?

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the first kit they made on my explorer and my friend Trevor (Foxracin) has the second. Check his build thread in the under construction section. He has put way more miles and beatings on his setup than I have. Not to mention his is also a daily driver.
I dont beat on my shit. Its a mall rated daily driver.:icon_confused:

By the way I just noticed this:

Used For: bending shock mounts and picking up mountain whores

Thats some funny shit right there.:icon_rofl:

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what's the deal? Did they finally get the trackbar bracket issue figured out?
You mean this:

Couple people have them already. Call and talk to them and you may be able to get one.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Wasn't actually looking for one, just was wondering in case anyone asks in the future (last I heard they were still working some bugs out or something).

Good to know that it's finally out, thanks for the info

What I'd REALLY like to see is pics of the Sport Trac they're working on. A SLA-IFS > SA kit IMO is something sorely-needed here in the RBV world. :rockon:

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
AFAIK the Sport Trac is supposed to roll in within the next month or so.
Trevor and I saw it when we met up at Duff's before our Windrock trip. I think it is an '01 model? Trevor, you remember what he said?
After looking it over I believe the ifs trucks will be easier than the TTB ones. The frame is boxed all the way back to the doors. Hardest part will be cutting out that damn X-member that the rack bolts to. Use a Toyota or Nissan xterra box and be done with it. Trac bar bracket will be much easier. Use a standard bracket for a boxed frame. Duff already has the coil buckets they use for the 4 link kits to set the ride height wherever the customer wants. I'll see if I can get more info at a later date.

BTW, for the FaceTubers out there. They are hosting an open house July 30th. Trevor you should come over and show off your ride. They sent me an invite today on the Facebook.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trackbar mounting seems to be the biggest issue when it comes to doing a SAS but alot rides on it.

I will say that there would be a huge market for a bolt in SAS kit for RBV's. Them making a kit would take the "is there a bolt in kit" out of the question.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals