• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Easy v8 swap?

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to go for a swap that will be easier to do. What would be the engine that needs less modification to fit my 97 4.0 ranger? It's rwd and AOD. Maybe the 4.6 or 5.0? I'm looking for something that will give me the power I want but won't make the gas mileage do terrible. On average I'm getting around 18ish and it'd be more cost efficient to just do the swap instead of wasting money in the 4.0s I hear. Don't mind if I get an average of 16ish at worst, just looking for an achievable 300 hp without needing major modification to the engine. Also, would I be able to use the stock transmission or would I need a different one? Trying to just buy the engine but if I need both I'll simply buy a donor car. I appreciate any help.

Edit: I am using this ranger as my DD at the moment and I plan on keeping it that way so I'd prefer something that isn't too crazy and is still fairly reliable. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You won't be able to keep your ranger trans. A 4.6 is a very tight squeeze and takes allot of time to get it working in a ranger because of all of the wiring, not that it's impossible to do.

Here's a link to articles in our tech library about doing a 5.0 swap. The articles are at the lower left side under engine rebuilds/swaps.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I saw that he has an electric fan instead of the stock one, I'm assuming that would be required for me to fit the 5.0?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You can probably fit a mechanical fan but it's a common practice to go with an electric fan as it puts less drag on the engine and frees up a few HP but also running an explorer Front End Assessory Drive (FEAD for short) helps gain some clearance. I'm running a 3.8 Taurus fan on a 3 row explorer radiator and it keeps my 5.0 cool (don't know how cool because I haven't gotten to replacing my temp gauge). The fans move enough air to keep a big block cool. I only run mine on low and that moves about 1800cfm of air a minute, the high setting moves 2800 cfm a minute but don't run both at the same time, can burn up the motor. I also don't have my high hooked up to run but will make it so that I can turn it on via switch in my cab but the low turns on/off by itself via temp sensor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks I appreciate that. Out of curiousity, with the 5.0 trans and engine in my 97 ext cab 2wd ranger, would I use the 4.0
Driveshaft or the 5.0 driveshaft, or would I need to get a custom size one all together?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals