• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found! Early-Design Front Sway Bar (1st Gen Ranger)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are those jack points?

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are those jack points?
The sticker in the truck is vague about where the jack point is. The top of the factory bottle jack is shaped so it might work OK on these, but the jack isn't tall enough to really do much if you use that as the jack point...I think I remember trying to use them as jack points and finding it just didn't work, and it was on dinky little 14s at the time.

Someone had told me once they were used for checking and setting alignment during factory assembly, but I'm not exactly sure how that would have worked. If you told me they were handles that assembly robots used to hold the parts during install, I'd believe that though.

Either way, those pegs are the reason you can't just easily bolt the front-side sway bar onto an early truck.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi folks, just a minor update for future people who land here from Google or wherever.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I did buy the NOS sway bar, part number E3TZ-5482-A.
Immediately after that, border restrictions were reinstated which prevented me picking it up from my friend's place...I have since been able to pick it up.

It definitely seems to be the right bar for the vehicle, and the tag on it suggests it is the original Ford part. That said, I will note it is a 1", solid bar. Replies above, and other references online say this style of bar is usually 1-1/8". Maybe the "B" version is 1-1/8".

As far as hardware goes:
The bar included the rear bushings to the crossmember, and they are usable.
I'll need the retainers to hold them to the crossmember, but I think these can be "fabricobbled" without too much difficulty.
The front bushings to the radius arms are a non-issue, looks like they're commercially available (especially if I'm not concerned about going poly).
The U-bolts are a big concern. The originals aren't anywhere in Ford's parts network, Green Sales doesn't have them, and there doesn't seem to be any commercially produced equivalent, so I'm going to explore having something fabricated locally, but if I can get my hands on the correct parts I'd rather go that way.

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
kishy,

I have upgraded the behind the axle sway bar on my 87 Ranger to the 1⅛" bar when I installed a junkyard Ford Hi-Rider 2" lift. It made a noticeable improvement in control; the Hi-Rider system included the 1⅛" behind the axle bar.

I have also added a forward of axle sway bar to my 87BII. All the mounting holes were in place from the factory. I swapped to the forward of axle bar because I installed a junkyard 4" suspension lift and extended radius arms, which did not work with the behind the axle bar.

The forward bar also comes in 2 thicknesses from Ford; the doner vehicle had the larger bar so that worked out nice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals