• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

e85

sickomode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
anyone here running ethanol? having issues with cold starts, and recently alternator went out, gonna replace with higher amp alt, but just wondering if anyone else on here ran into a similar issue when switching to e85 and how u went about troubleshooting. 2000 3.0 ranger, 5spd. ty

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
E85 will have longer cranking for cold starts, just comes with that fuel type if you are comparing it to gasoline cold starts

Computer does run the CHOKE but E85 still needs a bit more heat to be ignited by a spark, and each compression stroke of the piston heats up a cylinder a bit more, so you just need a few more strokes with E85

If weather gets colder, morning starts, that will also add a bit more time, it just needs a bit longer to get heat in the cylinders high enough

If it seems excessive cranking is needed then you may have a pressure leak in the fuel system
Fuel system should hold pressure for a few MONTHS, above 25psi, running pressure is 55psi
But system can bleed off pressure inside the gas tank so its not a "leak" of fuel just pressure
Try cycling the key on and off 3 times, then try to start, this runs fuel pump 3 times and adds 30psi pressure if it was at 0psi
If it starts faster then you do have a pressure leak

If there is no smell of fuel then leak will either be in the fuel pump's check valve or in the fuel pressure regulator(FPR) in the fuel pump assembly
In either case you should replace the whole assembly, pump and FPR

sickomode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
E85 will have longer cranking for cold starts, just comes with that fuel type if you are comparing it to gasoline cold starts

Computer does run the CHOKE but E85 still needs a bit more heat to be ignited by a spark, and each compression stroke of the piston heats up a cylinder a bit more, so you just need a few more strokes with E85

If weather gets colder, morning starts, that will also add a bit more time, it just needs a bit longer to get heat in the cylinders high enough

If it seems excessive cranking is needed then you may have a pressure leak in the fuel system
Fuel system should hold pressure for a few MONTHS, above 25psi, running pressure is 55psi
But system can bleed off pressure inside the gas tank so its not a "leak" of fuel just pressure
Try cycling the key on and off 3 times, then try to start, this runs fuel pump 3 times and adds 30psi pressure if it was at 0psi
If it starts faster then you do have a pressure leak

If there is no smell of fuel then leak will either be in the fuel pump's check valve or in the fuel pressure regulator(FPR) in the fuel pump assembly
In either case you should replace the whole assembly, pump and FPR
i recently got a new fuel pump, but once its up and running ill have to try that and hope for the best. thank u for the input!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In my 98, I have been running a 20% alcohol mixture using E85 and 91 octane. Yeah, the CEL is on, has been for years anyways. I gave up trying to turn it off and taped it over. Man, does it run GREAT on 20% ethanol. Been working on getting it down to running on 89 octane. But starting issues require me to run the ethanol. Funny, it's mentioned here that E85 makes it take longer to start. Mine starts quicker with some E85 in the tank than it does without it. No E85 in the tank, it takes four or five hits to get it running. 20% ethanol, it starts first turn of the key.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What is the reason for running that stuff in your truck? You can tell from that question I am not much of a fan of ethanol fuels. Your fuel mileage will get worse and worse the more ethanol you put in the mix. And I thought part of the "Flex Fuel" package was special o-rings and seals in the fuel system to withstand the corrosive higher ethanol content.

sickomode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
What is the reason for running that stuff in your truck? You can tell from that question I am not much of a fan of ethanol fuels. Your fuel mileage will get worse and worse the more ethanol you put in the mix. And I thought part of the "Flex Fuel" package was special o-rings and seals in the fuel system to withstand the corrosive higher ethanol content.
my ranger is a FFV, and it runs a lot better with ethanol, which is why i dont wanna switch back to gasoline. revs a lot smoother with ethanol and idles lower, my gas mileage hasnt changed much with it tho which was a relief. all the cranking is just what concerns me but if i can find a way to troubleshoot with that then im happy.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Alcohol is for drinking!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ethanol is a shorter term renewable fuel source which is why it is used
Fossil fuel takes a few million years to renew
Ethanol just a growing season for source material, but with people starving in other parts of the world it seems a little cold hearted to turn corn or other consumables into fuel

If your engine starts fast when its still warmed up then the longer cranking when cold is normal
If its still longer cranking when warmed up then most likely the fuel pressure is leaking out when pump is off

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals