• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

e85

sickomode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
hi everyone! first actual post on here so bare with me... 2000 ranger 3.0, 2wd manual trans
recently learned that 99 and 2000 3.0 rangers take flex fuel, have the V in my vin too, so decided to go for it and fill up with e85 since theres a station right by my house. seems to be running a bit wonky, at first ran fine no issues but a few miles into freeway driving the rpms started dropping and now truck is wanting to stall out. i probably should have eased into it by slowly adding e85 in but i didnt get that far into the thread until after i put in a full ass load of e85 in (of course). anyone have any similar issues? should i send my ass over to a gas station and add more 87 in? read forums where people have had great results and some that didnt. anything helps! i have another car i can drive in the meantime while i trouble shoot, but this is my daily driver so i need to figure something out! already had too lean engine code beforehand caused by an o2 sensor. thanks!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If your truck actually is a flex fuel it will have a leaf emblem on it somewhere that says flex fuel. Get some gasoline in it as soon as possible. We don't have E85 around here but we sold a bunch of flex fuel vehicles because that's what Ford was building. If a flex fuel module craps out it defaults to the E85 calibration and the vehicle runs pig rich and doggy.
E85 costs more and the mpg goes down because alcohol contains fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline so the mix needs to be richer to be equal. If we could make alcohol out of sugar cane like Brazil does it would be cost effective and make sense, making it out of corn is inefficient and expends more energy than the alcohol produces. The alcohol in our gas is there only for political reasons. Not to mention, when the temps are below zero a carbureted vehicle won't start without a stick of dynamite.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What walt said... Not ALL rangers were flex fuel, the ones that were are clearly labeled with flex fuel emblems. Get that stuff out and fill with regular gas asap.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guys, he's got a "V" in the Vin. It's a flex fuel truck, regardless of having a badge or not after 20 years roaming the planet. E85 is actually cheaper per gallon than 'regular' in some places, and it makes a big difference in the way the 3.0 runs. It's not the devil it's made out to be in the right situation.

OP, as you suspect, the issue is not likely the fuel, it's the quantity. E85 cleans the hell out of a gunked up fuel system. Running too much at once can loosen a lot of varnish/sludge from the tank and lines. It's probably clogging up your fuel filter and reducing flow. If anything passes through the filter, or stuff between the filter and the engine gets worked loose, it can also clog injectors. That's why it's usually recommended to phase in e85 slowly. Too late for that now of course. If there's any significant capacity remaining in the tank, I'd fill it with gasoline to try and dilute the e85 a bit. It still may require a fuel filter change (relatively cheap and easy). After you run a full tank through, see how it's running and go from there as far as other issues that may come up.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Guys, he's got a "V" in the Vin. It's a flex fuel truck, regardless of having a badge or not after 20 years roaming the planet. E85 is actually cheaper per gallon than 'regular' in some places, and it makes a big difference in the way the 3.0 runs. It's not the devil it's made out to be in the right situation.

OP, as you suspect, the issue is not likely the fuel, it's the quantity. E85 cleans the hell out of a gunked up fuel system. Running too much at once can loosen a lot of varnish/sludge from the tank and lines. It's probably clogging up your fuel filter and reducing flow. If anything passes through the filter, or stuff between the filter and the engine gets worked loose, it can also clog injectors. That's why it's usually recommended to phase in e85 slowly. Too late for that now of course. If there's any significant capacity remaining in the tank, I'd fill it with gasoline to try and dilute the e85 a bit. It still may require a fuel filter change (relatively cheap and easy). After you run a full tank through, see how it's running and go from there as far as other issues that may come up.
That's definitely worth a try, when E10 first appeared we had a bunch of problems because the alcohol was dissolving accumulated rust in the station fuel tanks, clogging filters and injectors. It would seem that the E10 would have already "cleaned" your fuel system but a filter is cheap and easy to change. Dump the contents into a clean container and see what it looks like.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

yep. in fact the power ratings are using e85. or so says the asterisk in the owners manual.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
E85 here is 105 octane at the pump. Even my 98, I've run up to 20% with no problems. When it gets hard to start, I dose it with some, as was mentioned, it's one hell of a fuel system and injector cleaner. Figured out the math once, a gallon is 5%, two is 10%, three is 15% and four is 20%. I just add four, and from that point on start diluting it. Starting problems go away for a few months or so. When they start happening, rinse and repeat. Works way better than any of that canned crap.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could of the e85 module gone bad and it was replaced with an emulator/replicator?

If a dummy circuit was put in then the programming would go bonkers, I assume.

If the fuel filter don’t help then I would drain or really dilute the e85 with regular gas and see what that does.

Ray

sickomode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
wanted to update everyone:
after some thinking and r&d and remembered that the guys i had bought the truck from had put in a new fuel pump, and guess what it wasnt the right pump, so when i put e85 in it fried my pump, i put a new one in and it runs better than it ever has. idles smooth, revs smoother, goes way faster in 2nd and 3rd gear. haha i feel stupid that i didn’t even think of that, but yup replacing the fuel pump did it. thanks for everyones input.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Congratulations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals