• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E15 - Interesting

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
IMO that statement is retarded.

You realize that in one post you said that this other fuel has less energy in it, and then turn around and say you make more power with it.

Sorry, that isn't how it works, not without changes to the engine.
Ethanol makes more power than gasoline or race gas. BTU's only affect mileage, not power output. Ethanol is a highly oxygenated fuel. Do some homework, even on lower output engines the power gains from an E-85 swap are pretty darned impressive.

Do some homework on the fuel. E-85 increases power but reduces mileage. This is a FACT.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do some homework on the fuel. E-85 increases power but reduces mileage. This is a FACT.
My equipment has enough power for what I want it to do, wasting more fuel to have more excess power to do the same thing isn't worth it. Especially when I have to drain the seperated water and alcohol out of the bowl drain for it to even start. Straight gas and it won't go over twice and it is running, ethonal and it won't say a word until you drain it. Really fun when the water is froze in the carb when you want to move snow.

Factory new (which it isn't) is 4.7lbs of compression. It can pull the hay rake, move snow and push a two row cultivator faster than any of them is meant to go as it sits as long as I put good fuel to it.

My A-C's with almost half again more compression are more forgiving and will "run" on it, they still pop and fart until they get it burned out of the system though.

This is just E10, no way in *$&# I would try E85, the work it takes to make it work in pulling tractors is way too extreme for what I do and they still run hot.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
EVERY time that our "X" gets E10 or worse (E15) in it, the mileage DROPS, big time. E-10 costs 4MPG, while the GAWD AWFUL E-15 is a SOLID 6 MPG drop. This is a vehicle that gets 16 to the gallon to start with. Ethanol is POOP when it comes to being a fuel "additive". IF I am going to being running on a corn product, then, it might as well be one that Kentucky and Tennessee are known for.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As I understand physics, that is how this kind of thing usually works. To make more power you need more fuel.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Froggmann, your locale is not listed... do you live in an ARID or HUMID environs??

PS: REC90 FTW!!

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would rather have access to pure ethanol than regular gasoline for performance. For everyday driving I would choose ethanol in non winter months, and use regular gas in winter months. Ethanol burns alot cleaner, meaning less carbon buildup on pistons, valves, exhaust pipe, ect ect. Fuel system will be cleaner too. Ethanol is more like a solvent where it will break down grime and send it to the fuel filter. I have seen cutaways of two vehicles fuel pumps, and engines. One ran E85, the other regular gas. They both had around 100,000 miles when they pulled the engines. The ethanol engine was cleaner in every way. Kinda like how engine are when you run them on propane. Yeah the E85 vehicle ran more fuel through the vehicle, but in theory it would last longer due to being cleaner. Cars in the 85ish years and forward have been designed to run either 10 or 15% ethanol. All this means is they started using steel fuel lines, and set the fuel maps up to run a slightly rich fuel curve. When people started figuring this out, they made chips that lean them to run closer to the border line of perfect. Corn isn't the future of ethanol, so don't worry about your corn flakes, or high fructose corn syrup. Cellulosic ethanol is where its at. I suggest you open your minds to renewable fuels that not only please the hippies, but will allow us to continue to make combustion engines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
straight gasoline is no longer sold around me I have to buy E10

It costs more to produce ethanol than gasoline
We can grow corn for food or fuel, not both.

Last edited:

buckshotmudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.G0
Transmission
Manual
Ethanol is hygroscopic. Look it up. That is the one of reason it is called “Stupid Juice”. Politics mandated the use of the “Stupid Juice”, not the automakers.

“Stupid Juice” subsidies make the price of food go up. I'd rather have low food prices than Ethanol mandates.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got corn for 4 ears for 1.00 this summer. Frozen, and canned corn are about the same as anything else, and tortias are super cheap still. What are you talking about? Corn won't be the source of ethanol forever. If your worried about corn so much, grow some in your garden.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You got ripped, the gold standard here for excellant sweetcorn is $4/dozen. Handpicked that morning, you won't find any better (making me hungary now :annoyed:) Sweetcorn is not what ethonal is made if, it is a different variety.

White corn (what torteillas are made of, different variety yet) has been constantly more irritating for farmers to grow. They are really cracking down on any yellow kernals that didn't get vacuumed out of the combine and you get a harsh dock on your price. One guy last year really got screwed because the co-op uses its fertilizer wagons to shuttle yellow corn around in the off season, more than a couple kernels where still in the wagon when they came out to spread fertillizer on his field that spring and they grew. Lots of guys are saying "screw it" when it comes to white corn. It pays better than yellow but not enough anymore, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't start going up in price, I suppose since most of that kind of thing is just corn flour and water they are pretty cheap to make anyway.

Field corn (what most of "corn" in the world is) is selling for stupid high prices because of the govt keeping it in ethonal production. Corn will the primary source of ethonal as long as its lobbys keep it there.

15 years ago it was selling for something like $1.50/bushel and farmers were going broke left and right, now it is somewhere around $6-7 a bushel and they are happy to start finally upgrading their 30-50 year old equipment.

The high corn price drives the price of many things up, from the beef that also eats it to the hay it competes with for land (which also drives up the price of beef), dairy products, pork, poultry... everything depends on it and will react to its price. Lots of hayground and pasture has been switched in the past couple years to corn. A drought like last year doesn't help anything either, hay is really high priced because it did terrible in the dry weather, good round bales are getting over $200 at auction where $75-100 was the norm a year ago (and as a result we have the smallest national cattle herds decades)

I ain't gonna complain that my customers have more money to spend or that the 7 acres I am going to plant this year will hopefully be a profitable little side venture. :dntknw:

As far as E15 goes, I saw in one of my small engine dealer mags that a bunch of brands had tried to appeal it and got shot down. Apparently while the EPA cares about what the permiation levels of their fuel lines are they are not a big enough player to take into consideration if their stuff will actually run and/or last on it.

Last edited:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its crazy how the price of hay has gone up. The last couple years the dry summers in alot of areas has killed hay production, but in area like where I am currently, they got just enough to have great years. I was driving around last year for work, and I was sick at all the round bales of hay that I see all the time, getting rained on, and composting. There is so much money coming from the oil that the farmers have under there land, that they don't care about selling the hay. They go through the trouble of cutting, putting it into round bales, and then just let it sit and go to waste. I know cows can eat it when it gets bad like that, but they still a lot of it goes to waste. If I had a truck and trailer, I'd go around and buy it up, and sell it in areas like yours where its in high demand. Farmers grow corn up here for ethanol, but 5 to 10 years ago the seed wasn't developed for this area, and no one ever grew it. If you want to make your small engines run better with the E15, get some startron at walmart. Its a good additive for ethanol treatment. I agree rubber gas lines don't like ethanol, or do old fashion gaskets that are prone to drying out and cracking like cork. Keep in mind, that I am not trying to sway your mind on the goverment mandates, or anything trueful that some of you say. Its just better when you argue with facts, not emotion. That's what makes a being on the right side fun. If you start throwing out half truths and lies, your no better than the hippies in the whitehouse.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For units model year 2012 and newer it is big trouble if you put fuel lines on from MY 2011 and older because although they were always dry they allowed too much gas to seep through them. They are certified to run on E10 and it says in big bold lettering not to run anything richer than E10 in either unit. It is still perfectly fine to run the older style lines in the older unit, it is purely an emissions thing.

I found it odd that they can nitpick nearly nill fuel permiation from fuel lines that have previously been fine for decades but they don't care if the manufactures say their stuff can't take more ethonal than has already been forced apoun them.

Not emotion, I can include pics out of owners manuals and even on the fuel line kits if you like. I just went through all this at our update school a couple weeks ago. I wish I hadn't pitched the dealer mag though...

My 30 year old weed hacker swallows real gas just fine as long as I can get it. :icon_thumby:

Another fun fact is they don't care what additive you have in it, over 10% if you drag it in for a engine or clutch problem your warrenty is void. This newer stuff is tamper resistant so the user cannot reset things to run on more or less fuel. Kinda puts them in an awkward spot for all the units already out there if nobody can get less than 15% doesn't it?

As far as food prices, beef is staying lowerish right now because people are dumping them. Once that gets through hold on...

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Some day someone will explain to me how mxing $5/gal Ethano into $3/gal gasoline solves ANY sort of problem...

And if it weren't for government subsidies nobody would ever give the notion a moments tought before rejecting it as monumentally stupid...

Diverting food to fuel production makes food more expensive while we are paying higher taxes to run the whole moronic operation...

It's like the big government lie that nobody really understands...
"Corporate taxes" how many people realize that corporate taxes are nothing more than a way to hide taxation and make people THINK that some "evil corporation" is paying them
when reality is those taxes are paid by everyone because corporations just raise their prices tom cover those taxes...

ethanol subsidies are more of the same....

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Some day someone will explain to me how mxing $5/gal Ethano into $3/gal gasoline solves ANY sort of problem...

And if it weren't for government subsidies nobody would ever give the notion a moments tought before rejecting it as monumentally stupid...

Diverting food to fuel production makes food more expensive while we are paying higher taxes to run the whole moronic operation...
I'm pretty sure the people who matter have already figured out this is monumentally stupid. That is why there is a huge government subsidy, they know it can't stand on it's own.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Farmers actually having money is a big boost for a bunch of small town economies though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals