• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E15 - Interesting

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand the fear of Ethanol. E-15 isn't going to hurt anything in older cars. There are people on E-85performance.net that are running E-85 in 60's car with stock fuel tank, lines, etc with zero problems.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the E85 works in the 60's vehicles that dont run on emissions stuff and everything isnt electrical for the fuel system but put it in the 80's, 90's, and so on vehicles that do run off electronics and see what it does. Same goes for the E15, they simply werent designed to run ethenal in the fuel. Sure they run off the 10% mix but anymore then that, your asking for problems and fast. Vehicles arent human and there "system" adapts to changes over time by slow changes. But they will act the same as in you put something in it that wasnt meant to be there, you will pay the price, same as a human.

We are putting corn in our tanks and off our tables and less land every year to be able to provide corn for our every second growing needs.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the E85 works in the 60's vehicles that dont run on emissions stuff and everything isnt electrical for the fuel system but put it in the 80's, 90's, and so on vehicles that do run off electronics and see what it does. Same goes for the E15, they simply werent designed to run ethenal in the fuel. Sure they run off the 10% mix but anymore then that, your asking for problems and fast. Vehicles arent human and there "system" adapts to changes over time by slow changes. But they will act the same as in you put something in it that wasnt meant to be there, you will pay the price, same as a human.

We are putting corn in our tanks and off our tables and less land every year to be able to provide corn for our every second growing needs.
this.

plus NEVER let any E-fuels sit in lawnmowers or atv's or anything...

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't understand the fear of Ethanol. E-15 isn't going to hurt anything in older cars. There are people on E-85performance.net that are running E-85 in 60's car with stock fuel tank, lines, etc with zero problems.
SO.....WHY?? :icon_confused: Why would you even want to do it. Worse mileage. Risks associated with the damage that ethnol causes. Maybe not for a couple years to several thousand miles but it will happen if you do not upgrade the fuel systems. Again I ask WHY? Nothing to gain but a lot to lose.

Now if you are looking for perfomance, with some massive mods, Ethanol can produce massive power but only after extensive (and expensive) mods.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this.

+1, I run it in NOTHING.

SO.....WHY?? :icon_confused: Why would you even want to do it. Worse mileage. Risks associated with the damage that ethnol causes. Maybe not for a couple years to several thousand miles but it will happen if you do not upgrade the fuel systems. Again I ask WHY? Nothing to gain but a lot to lose.

Now if you are looking for perfomance, with some massive mods, Ethanol can produce massive power but only after extensive (and expensive) mods.
People run it in their antique pulling tractors from the 40's-60's for more power, of course it requires extensive mods to the carburators to flow the quantities of fuel required to actually make more power. 300' at a time economy is minimal enough to just make it a joking matter.

I hate the crap because it sucks water out of air more than regular gas. I quit going to plow days with my tractors because whoever you plow for always gets the cheap stuff which is E10 ethonal, if they run at all a couple days later there is a ton of popping and farting until the tractor gets the water and straight seperated alchohol sucked out of the bottom of the tank. I have one tractor that will flat out refuse to run on the crap until you drain it out of the carb.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard of people running a couple tanks of it to help clean the fuel system but I wouldn't ever run it full time. I'm not sure if newer vehicles have as much of a problem with ethanol (would like some more thoughts though) but I known my truck gets worse milage with E10 since it was never intended to use it.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
this.

I run E-85 in my ATV, let it sit for months at a time w/o any sort of fuel treatment. Never draws water, carb never gums up, fuel lines don't melt--all stock fuel components in place. All I did for the swap was jet up significantly. Quad runs cooler and picked up a noticeable amount of power from the fuel swap alone. Been running corn in the quad for 4 years now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run E-85 in my ATV, let it sit for months at a time w/o any sort of fuel treatment. Never draws water, carb never gums up, fuel lines don't melt--all stock fuel components in place. All I did for the swap was jet up significantly. Quad runs cooler and picked up a noticeable amount of power from the fuel swap alone. Been running corn in the quad for 4 years now.
What kind of quad?

All of my toys are old enough they have an open tank vent... so they can have at all the humidity they want to the fuel. Combined with low compression by design and you have a no-start situation frustratingly often.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like gasoline in my tank. The more pure the better.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
What kind of quad?

All of my toys are old enough they have an open tank vent... so they can have at all the humidity they want to the fuel. Combined with low compression by design and you have a no-start situation frustratingly often.
2000 Honda 400ex poked and stroked to a 440 w/11.3:1 compression and a 2005 Honda 450R carburetor on it. Getting bumped up a skosh in displacement and compression soon--going to be a 13.5:1 450.

The quad has an open tank vent, I leave fuel in the carb when I store it and I leave about 1/2 of fuel in the tank. I try to store it as poorly as I can to see if I can create any of the fabled issues w/ethanol. No success to date.

I want to convert my lawnmower to run on E-85 one of these days.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
I like gasoline in my tank. The more pure the better.
Todays gasoline is garbage, it's basically a bunch of solvents and crap mixed with very little actual gasoline.

If you want pure fuel, try Ethanol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ethanol still has a lower BTU rating that straight gas.

Sorry, I would take pure gas over anything with ethanol in it any day.

I had a car that would not run on the stuff. It spit, sputtered, missed, and vibrated so bad that I threw an ignition module, cap, rotor, and motor mounts in it before I realized that the fuel was the problem.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
The BTU is the only bummer, the lower fuel economy. IMO the power gain the fuel offers offsets the lower mileage.

In my Ranger the mileage difference in minimal. 20mpg hwy on E-85, 22-23mpg on gasoline.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The BTU is the only bummer, the lower fuel economy. IMO the power gain the fuel offers offsets the lower mileage.
IMO that statement is retarded.

You realize that in one post you said that this other fuel has less energy in it, and then turn around and say you make more power with it.

Sorry, that isn't how it works, not without changes to the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals