• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-fan Swap Question 1993 3.0 4x4 Splash

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want to activate the low speed relay anytime AC is on you will need another relay, no diode needed
AC relay would ground the Low speed relay(85) when AC Compressor wire has 12v, same as temp switch would do when coolant was warm enough

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Told you it would be easier with single speed.

The way it is now... A/C only turns fan on low speed. I would have it turn fan on high speed.

Also changing from pin 87a to power relay to pin 30... why not just jumper from pin 30 on the low speed relay and not high speed relay. Then just splice the 30 circuit in the harness and not actually at the connector. Cleaner and just one 30 circuit and short 87 jumper at each relay.
Hahaha yeah, you were 100% right.

Yes, unfortunately the way this fan works you have to actuate low speed first and THEN high speed, or both simultaneously. Can't just do the high speed relay.

That's a really good idea. I'm leaning towards a whole bus bar, but I think I like your idea of tying into low speed 30 better. I just may need to find better splice connectors. I'm also a bit limited with how many wires I can tie into the pins on the relay since I'm using the stock box to mount my relays. I'll try to send some pics when I get one fully wired.

Submitted my diagram to Derale tech support. They've been really helpful so far and said they would look over it to see if it should be compatible with their fans. Waiting to hear back now.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you want to activate the low speed relay anytime AC is on you will need another relay, no diode needed
AC relay would ground the Low speed relay(85) when AC Compressor wire has 12v, same as temp switch would do when coolant was warm enough
Oof. That's what I was afraid of. Adding in more relays. Lol I have three open slots in the stock under hood fuse box, so I was trying to mount them there. If I add more I'll have to start bolting them to the walls under the hood. Lol I'll try to get some decent pics today of what I've done so far. I've been waiting to have more done before I post pics as it isn't really much physical progress. Just hashing out kinks running around looking for parts all around my usual household errands, etc.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well... I learned I don't want the fan...

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
relay box.jpg

That's with one of my 8AWG wires. Was testing to see if it would fit. Nice and snug and even (kind of) clips into the stock retention clip.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well... I learned I don't want the fan...
You can run both hi and low off of a single relay. You don't need two relays if you don't want to use both speeds, but I know what you mean. I'm still hoping the pay off will be worth the headache. Haha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Oh... I read it that low speed had to be turned on first.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh... I read it that low speed had to be turned on first.
Sorry, I didn't say it very well. So either you have to turn them on together OR you have to turn on low speed and THEN high speed. Then the low speed has to stay on while high speed is active. That's what tech support says, anyway. Haha

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I can't tie in A/C to high speed unless it also activates low speed at the same time. Does that make more sense? I tend to have trouble writing these things out clearly. Haha

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suppose I could run it to the 85 of both relays... Then that would kick on both hi and low simultaneously. That could work.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well that was disappointing. Just heard back from Derale. They just resent the shitty diagram they included in the box. So I suppose I'll just take the advice I've heard here from you guys and see what happens. Lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get rid if the ON/OFF relay

You can run the two relay's, high and low, coils(86's) from a key on 12v source in engine bay, only 1/2 amp per relay
Use fused full time 12v to the two 30's

Then you can add the AC relay

You could get the Key On 12v for the two relay coil's, from a cab circuit, and thru a switch on the dash to turn it off as needed, as said its under 1.5amps so pretty much any key on circuit would be fine to use

Last edited:

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get rid if the ON/OFF relay

You can run the two relay's, high and low, coils(86's) from a key on 12v source in engine bay, only 1/2 amp per relay
Use fused full time 12v to the two 30's

Then you can add the AC relay

You could get the Key On 12v for the two relay coil's, from a cab circuit, and thru a switch on the dash to turn it off as needed, as said its under 1.5amps so pretty much any key on circuit would be fine to use
Hmmm... Roger. That makes sense. I have a 40 amp circuit breaker wired in already. I could just run both power wires from that to each of the 30 pins, then no need for a bus bar too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1993/94 AC systems the AC 12volts comes from the Dash control panel then runs THRU the Pressure switch(es) and to the WOT relay, then out to compressor

So you can get the 12v AC ON signal from either/any pressure switch wire in the engine bay if its easier than doing it at the compressor, what ever is easier, cleaner

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals