• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-fan Swap Question 1993 3.0 4x4 Splash

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ya know... I've been laid up for months now. That didn't stop me from buying up parts though. My gauges and adaptor are sitting on the bench and I hope to get after my Bronco II in the next week or so. I just looked up and found the ID specs for the lower hose and ordered the 1 1/2 adaptor. I made the mistake of not getting the ground lug... but it was past the return window when I realized my mistake. I'm just gonna drill and tap my own ground.

I have also heard people having issues with then in the upper hose... but it has its benefits for putting it there.
Oof. That's rough man. Hope you start feeling better soon.

I bought most of my parts probably over a month ago. Haven't had time to do anything since they've trickled in and it looks like I've got a bit longer to wait now. I was concerned when I changed my hoses out that I'd have a bit of an air pocket in the lines since they're routed the way they are, but they have seemed to work themselves out. I'll see if I can't install the insert somewhere that isn't at the peak of the crossover... We'll see. I appreciate the advice, would be pretty upset if I got it all together and air in the system cooked the motor. Lol

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmmm... I wonder if the insert would fit before the 90* in the vertical section above the manifold.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
I'm sure there's a sweet spot for the thermo switch, im watching your thread to learn. Im doing the same thing on a Gen1

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I built my own simple e-fan set up. I bought a flex a lite black magic fan years ago & used it on another car that i sold, but kept the fan. I used a thermostat control switch from ebay, comes with everything needed. Relays, wiring & dial type thermostat. Install was simple too. Mounted it on the rad support right next to the rad & battery. I took the temp sensor probe & stuck it between the fins/tubes on the rad, next to the upper hose area. I turned the dial all the way up, started the truck & let it get to halfway on the gauge & turned the dial down until the fan came on. It works perfectly this way & i can turn it up or down if needed. Its been on the truck for about a year now. I also upgraded my rad to a 3 core aluminum unit & added a separate trans cooler. I put almost a 1000 miles on the truck in one week last summer & it was fine the whole time.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Got any pics of the finished Flex-A-Lite black magic fan mounted. ?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure there's a sweet spot for the thermo switch, im watching your thread to learn. Im doing the same thing on a Gen1
I considered buying a brass t fitting to connect the thermoswitch and the gauge sender to the original gauge sender location, but it's a bit cramped between the block and the belt, so I'm going to go with the in hose setup, I think. Not sure where exactly yet... I will be sure to post pics as it comes along. Still waiting on parts for now. Hopefully they'll be in today or tomorrow.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I built my own simple e-fan set up. I bought a flex a lite black magic fan years ago & used it on another car that i sold, but kept the fan. I used a thermostat control switch from ebay, comes with everything needed. Relays, wiring & dial type thermostat. Install was simple too. Mounted it on the rad support right next to the rad & battery. I took the temp sensor probe & stuck it between the fins/tubes on the rad, next to the upper hose area. I turned the dial all the way up, started the truck & let it get to halfway on the gauge & turned the dial down until the fan came on. It works perfectly this way & i can turn it up or down if needed. Its been on the truck for about a year now. I also upgraded my rad to a 3 core aluminum unit & added a separate trans cooler. I put almost a 1000 miles on the truck in one week last summer & it was fine the whole time.
Nice! I looked at the black magic setup, which looks pretty solid, and as many other fans as I could find but ended up going with a dual speed Derale fan I picked up from Summit or Jegs... (I think it was Summit) along with three Derale relays for control. I'm using the BMW temp sender that I will probably mount in the upper hose for temp control. The in rad temp control was tempting, but ultimately I preferred the coolant probe. I also intend to wire in a high water cut off switch. I've been waiting so long for all the parts to come in that I'm gonna have to reread the forum posts I've found to make sure I'm not missing anything. Lol

Just a heads up for future swappers that want to use the BMW control, they don't make the 90* wire plug cap anymore. ANYWHERE. Unless you wanna pay $50+ from Ebay for a used one. Lol

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

I tried the aftermarket fan and controller first, they don't last. The Volvo fan and controls, or the Volvo controls with the Taurus 2 speed fan are by far better choices than any of the aftermarket ones I have found.
I had trouble sourcing these parts as they're all getting on in age now. Especially regarding how they would mount to my radiator. But this is the write up that I'm basing my project on. Using my stock fan shroud and mounting the e-fan inside of it, similar to how they're mounted in newer rangers with e fans.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I'm upgrading to a 130A alternator and doing the Big 3 in conjunction with the fan swap.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! I looked at the black magic setup, which looks pretty solid, and as many other fans as I could find but ended up going with a dual speed Derale fan I picked up from Summit or Jegs... (I think it was Summit) along with three Derale relays for control. I'm using the BMW temp sender that I will probably mount in the upper hose for temp control. The in rad temp control was tempting, but ultimately I preferred the coolant probe. I also intend to wire in a high water cut off switch. I've been waiting so long for all the parts to come in that I'm gonna have to reread the forum posts I've found to make sure I'm not missing anything. Lol

Just a heads up for future swappers that want to use the BMW control, they don't make the 90* wire plug cap anymore. ANYWHERE. Unless you wanna pay $50+ from Ebay for a used one. Lol
I can tell you that flex a lite makes a quality fan. They aren't cheap but they last. Ive had this one for at least 20 yrs. I ran it on my 86 mustang for about 10 - 12 yrs, an 89 caprice for about 5 yrs & now its on the ranger.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can tell you that flex a lite makes a quality fan. They aren't cheap but they last. Ive had this one for at least 20 yrs. I ran it on my 86 mustang for about 10 - 12 yrs, an 89 caprice for about 5 yrs & now its on the ranger.
I like the setup! Where did you source the radiator if you don't mind me asking? I was looking to pick up an aftermarket a while back, but ended up going with just a regular stock replacement for now.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's how I intend to mount my fan. Measurements worked out almost perfect. Fits with just enough room for some angle brackets. Gonna bolt through the side of the stock shroud and hope some nice fat washers distribute the pressure well enough to keep it from cracking.

Got the old fan and fan clutch out yesterday. The fan was in much worse shape than I thought. Quite a few significant cracks around the main ring and the clutch was... a bit less than "free spinning". Lol

Attachments

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
About three quarters of the way through my Big 3 upgrade. New 130 amp alternator as well. Had to put it on hold yesterday as my heat shrink didn't fit the wires so I had to go to the store and grab some more this morning. Cleaning up lots of connectors and contacts in the process. Will probably clean up some grounds before I'm done. The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the circuit breaker. Lol Ended up bolting it under the fuse panel.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals