• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duratec year interchange

kmfw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know for sure what years will fit in a 2005? Car-part has them listed for 2004-2006 and 2007+. In my area its cheaper to get a newer engine but I can't find what changed between 06 and 07.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2002 and up Rangers had the Mazda L 23NS Duratec engines
2002 and up Mazda B2300 used the same engine

These engines showed up in Rangers in mid-2001, so you will see 2001 Duratec Rangers
But all 2002 and up had them

2001-2003 2.3l Duratec had Electric thermostat and IMRC(intake manifold runner control) these both needed computer feedback or control

2004 and up lost both the above, so 2004 2.3l and up computers are different that 2001-2003 computers

Any 2004 to 2012 23NS Duratec should/will work fine in your 2005, if you are willing to change some parts from one engine to the other.
Sensor plugs and placement change on the engines over the years, so a 2005 sensor plug might not fit on to the 2007 sensor, just swap sensor over, or sensor was moved so 2005 wire won't reach, extend the wire

The NS in 23NS stands for north south, it means the engines were mounted Rad to Firewall, and these engine were made in Dearborn, Michigan

Ford cars got the 23EW, east west, these engines were mounted wheel to wheel, transverse mounting, and made in Mexico

Ranger needs a 23NS not a 23EW

kmfw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! picked up a lower mileage '09 engine today. Only major difference I can see are the fuel injectors and wiring harness plugs. I'm limited on time, was planning on swapping the harness but I don't want to pull the intake manifold to change injectors. Tried searching but cant find the differences in injectors other than part no. and color, Yellow vs. brown. Anyone know of the specs for ford injectors?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Color indicates flow rate. Length and width indicate level of penile dissatisfaction of the guy designing the fuel rail and intake.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

kmfw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, think the injectors are mazda based so I can't find the info. Finished the swap and it runs but long term fuel trim is in the negative, -18%, so it looks like I'll be pulling the intake to change them out. Anyone else looking to do a similar swap the only other differences I've found are the wiring harness, cylinder head temp sensor and the casting for the upper coolant line doesn't have a spot for the coolant temp sensor. Only CEL was for it running rich, after clearing it hasn't come back on so the adaptive learning might be enough for the short term.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals