• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

duratec 2.3

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don"t know what you guys are all raving about I took a 2001 standard cab 5 speed for a test ride today only 47000 miles, I didnt notice much diff. than my 97 lima, in fact I think the motor was louder than mine. was maybe a tad quicker, but not much. they wanted 5900.00 for it, no power nothing, they have lost there mind, typical dealer rip off.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the duratec has over 30 more HP than your lima, its a much more peppy engine.

there are a multitude of factors that could have lead to your dis-satisfying test drive. gearing, tire size, truck weight, transmission option, etc...all will dramatically effect the way a truck drives.

but all things being equal, the lima cant hold a candle to the duratec.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Having owned and driven various light-duty 2wd trucks, I can say without a doubt my '06 b2300 is my favorite by far. It's much more powerful than an old Toyota hilux I used to own and slightly more peppy than a Nissan hardbody I had back in the day. One thing The Duratec has on both of the other trucks is the glee with which it rips through the upper rev range. The Toyota had it's tongue hanging out by 4 grand, whereas the Mazda is just getting started. It's much more pleasurable to drive and still gets reasonable fuel economy, especially considering the abuse I dish out on it on a daily basis.

One thing to remember, we're talking about light-duty four cylinder trucks here, not sports cars. For what it is, though, I'm impressed.

FX2.3

March 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I don"t know what you guys are all raving about I took a 2001 standard cab 5 speed for a test ride today only 47000 miles, I didnt notice much diff. than my 97 lima, in fact I think the motor was louder than mine. was maybe a tad quicker, but not much. they wanted 5900.00 for it, no power nothing, they have lost there mind, typical dealer rip off.
2001 still had the 2.5L

"The four-cylinder engine was bumped up to a 2.5 L SOHC I4 giving it a 6% increase in power than the old 2.3 L. It put out 120 hp (89 kW) and 149 lb·ft (202 N·m) of torque. That engine was replaced by a new DOHC 2.3 L Duratec I4 in mid-2001."

2002 was the first full year of the 2.3L Duratec.:icon_cheers:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
'01 is a split year. the duratec started after the second quarter.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
re

It was a duretec 2.3 I know the diff. I knew that post would ruffle some feathers! to be fair I never got it over 3000 rpm"s, maybe the duretec hadn"t got into its power range yet. did seem kind of loud though. I am not trying to knock the motor, probley a very good one.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It was a duretec 2.3 I know the diff. I knew that post would ruffle some feathers! to be fair I never got it over 3000 rpm"s, maybe the duretec hadn"t got into its power range yet. did seem kind of loud though. I am not trying to knock the motor, probley a very good one.

Yes it is loud. That actually is discussed quite frequently around here. Many dont mind it. I thought something was wrong at first.:icon_rofl: I have actaully grown to love the vibrating loudness of the engone.:icon_cheers:

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
pops13: The duratec doesn't peak hp until over 5 grand, and peak torque isn't until right before 4,000 rpms, so you never really gave it a chance to get into it's power band. I drove it very conservatively at fist (also due to the loudness of the engine) until I realized the puppies like to get wound up a bit. I've since come to admire the 'rougher' idle and deafening banshee howl of the motor past 5 grand very much. these little bastards are loud ,especially with a straight through exhaust!

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
re

I took another ride today in it, up to 4000rpms pretty close to my lima, after that the duretec was stronger, I don"t push mine past 4000 very often, has 155000 on it and it may not hold up to long if I beat on it. you guys talk horsepower, it"s torque that gets you going under 4000, after that horsepower takes over. anyway I offered him 5 grand and he turned me down, so i"ll keep looking. ps. do they all idle so fast? like 1200rpms.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No car should idle at 1200 rpm... I bet it has a vacuum leak...

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, right after you start it, mine idles at 1500rpm for a while too, but static idle, once it's warmed up shouldn't be 1200rpm...

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Mine idles @ 700-800 rpms when warm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals