• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

duratec 2.3

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A manual vehicle usually idles between 700-800rpm an automatic between 500-600rpm...

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
yep, they are just really wierd peppy motors. Extremely loud

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, there are people on rangerpowersports.com that own duratec trucks with over 300,000 miles running perfect with full compression at each cylinder!! who knows how long they can go!!!! hows that for a little piece of mind:yahoo:

im pumped

heeler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Several times over the last few days i have read here that these engines are loud.
Can someone please be more specific and explain what they mean by "loud".
I mean are we talking valve clatter or what??:dunno:
I am seriously considering this truck and possibly ordering an 09 but i gotta know about this first.

One Sick Puppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think they mean the engine is loud when it's running at the typical RPMs, relative to other engines. I've started driving my 08' at higher RPMs (2500-3000 vs. 2000-2500) to see how power/mileage is. It might be difficult to accurately measure mileage, but while I normally go into 5th gear (manual) when I'm on the highway between 90-110 km/h, I didn't at all yesterday and though the engine was noticeably louder, it seems to run fine. I don't get the impression that above 3000rpm is ideal, though - I think some people have suggested this. However, my knowledge of engines and driving is pretty minimal.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the engine at idle makes what sounds like valve noise(i think its cause of the plastic intake manifold, doesnt insulate the intake valve noise).. and at higher rpm u just hear more of the engine than the exhaust note.. keep in mind u really only notice these things when u got the radio off and are really trying to listen to ur truck

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Several times over the last few days i have read here that these engines are loud.
Can someone please be more specific and explain what they mean by "loud".
I mean are we talking valve clatter or what??:dunno:
I am seriously considering this truck and possibly ordering an 09 but i gotta know about this first.

When I researched the vehicle last year I had no idea about the engine noise. I didnt even test drive one I needed a new vehicle fast. The one thing I did know was that it was a reliable vehicle. When I was driving it home I was surprised how loud it was idling at stop lights. I first thought something was wrong. I than found out it was normal. Its not a big deal really. I have grown accustomed to it and actually like the noisy vibration.

If I was you Heel, go to a dealer and test drive one. Keep in mind that the Ranger is NOT a luxury vehicle. It does NOT drive like a car or newer pickup trucks that are now car like and comfy. It is virtually unchanged in that respect and is what it is. I love driving mine and its just a great pickup. Excellent for small utility purposes and cheaper to maintain. Its the last of its kind and will be gone in a few years. GO to a dealer and come back and tell us what you think.:icon_cheers:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My opinion is if you're buying a truck, you are buying something for work, not something that's comfortable (although my truck is) and has every amenity in the world and heated leather seats and a device that wipes your mouth when you dribble Big Mac grease down your face... Who cares how loud it is, it's a truck, lol... Too many people are driving trucks just because they want one... Not because they need it for work... My truck is loud, especially on the highway, I just turn the radio up...

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My opinion is if you're buying a truck, you are buying something for work, not something that's comfortable (although my truck is) and has every amenity in the world and heated leather seats and a device that wipes your mouth when you dribble Big Mac grease down your face... Who cares how loud it is, it's a truck, lol... Too many people are driving trucks just because they want one... Not because they need it for work... My truck is loud, especially on the highway, I just turn the radio up...
True. But a 4 cyl. Ranger is a very light duty truck and can be a combo daily drive and light work Truck.(college kids love them) I have already done some hauling with mine and plan on more soon. This is also great truck for self employed carpenters or electricians.

I do believe if someone buys an F-150 or Chevy Silverado etc. they should have at least some heavy duty work in mind when purchasing it. I see tons of heavy duty work trucks that are just used for hauling grocerys and kids. Maybe the occasional camping trip. An suv would actually be a better option for those people. But unfortunately its all about status symbol for some.(my car salesman admited that why he used to own one) They have to have the biggest truck most powerful engine and 4x4 to boot.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'm not saying you can't DD a truck, but when your buying a truck you shouldn't expect it to ride/sound like a car... I just get a little irritated with people when they do that, lol... That's the reason you can't get a real truck without crappy IFS, haha... I have a 4-cyl Ranger, and I DD it, but I don't also make a big deal that it doesn't ride like a Caddy or something... It's the people that have to have a truck because "it's cool" that bother me... There is a 4wd Explorer at school that has those big rims on it, and it just makes me furious when I see it...

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
test grove a 2001 with a duratec with only 47000 on it, nice truck, but rode harder than my 97, is alot faster, but the motor is loud, do I want to spend 5500 bucks for more power, less eqip. this one has no options except air? what do you guys think? really want a ext. cab, this is not.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
test grove a 2001 with a duratec with only 47000 on it, nice truck, but rode harder than my 97, is alot faster, but the motor is loud, do I want to spend 5500 bucks for more power, less eqip. this one has no options except air? what do you guys think? really want a ext. cab, this is not.
the fuel mileage u will get will be welllllll worth it:icon_thumby:

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
When I start to think my truck is too loud or rides too rough, I simply drive my straight-piped N/A Diesel rabbit for a few days. The truck seems much quieter the next time I drive it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals