• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Duratec 2.3 PCV Valve late '01-2011

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know enough about the PCV valve on my 2010 2.3 . Just enough that I don't want to replace it but it has to be done. Did a fair bit of searching on the replacement procedure and it's tough to find. Appears that it's a wrestling match inside the driver side fender well that involves breaking brittle plastic/rubber parts, losing clips and making up new swear words. Removing the oil separator as an assembly almost seems most practical in dealing with a motor with 157K, 11 years old that likely has never had the PCV replaced. Pulling the intake would be the last approach I would care to take without another reason to do so. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated in advance !

Btw, Had this motor in an older Mazda Tribute, super reliable to 170k, never even gave it a thought (killed by the rust monster). Have the 2.5 version now in the wife's 2017 Escape we bought new.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've done it a few times. First time is a nightmare but I can do it pretty quick now.

Remove the drivers side tire and the inner fender to get access. It will be next to impossible to get the PCV valve itself out of the separator because its held on with a clip and there's just no room to pry on it without breaking it so just remove the whole separator from the side of the block. You'll need some long extensions and a wobble (i believe the bolts are 7mm?). Wrestle the hose clamp off the valve and then you'll have the whole assembly off. When thats off you can easily pop the clip off with a pick to remove the valve.

You may end up braking the pcv hose. Its a mix of plastic elbows and rubber ends. It's a real piece of crap. But you can easily take the whole stupid thing and chuck it in the nearest river and replace it with a length 5/8" I.D. rubber hose. (This is what I did).

Replace the valve, o-ring, and separator gasket, and re-install. If you ditched the factory hose then just snake the new rubber line down and attach it to the valve and the back of the intake.

P.S. get a motorcraft PCV valve, aftermarket ones are not weighted right. I had to change mine twice the first time I did it because of this. Also, they are suppose to be done every 15,000 miles not every 150,000... :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Sounds like the most painless method. Any thoughts about re-plumbing the PCV circuit to a more accessible spot ? Also, any issues with leaks/sealing the oil separator ?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The oil separator has a rubber o-ring style gasket you will need to replace. As long as its not cracked and you clean the block side good you shouldn't have any leaks. And besides just using rubber line to replace the plastic nonsense, there's really nothing you can do to make the setup any easier. It sucks but it works and once you do it it won't be that much of a pain the next time.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've done it a few times. First time is a nightmare but I can do it pretty quick now.

Remove the drivers side tire and the inner fender to get access. It will be next to impossible to get the PCV valve itself out of the separator because its held on with a clip and there's just no room to pry on it without breaking it so just remove the whole separator from the side of the block. You'll need some long extensions and a wobble (i believe the bolts are 7mm?). Wrestle the hose clamp off the valve and then you'll have the whole assembly off. When thats off you can easily pop the clip off with a pick to remove the valve.

You may end up braking the pcv hose. Its a mix of plastic elbows and rubber ends. It's a real piece of crap. But you can easily take the whole stupid thing and chuck it in the nearest river and replace it with a length 5/8" I.D. rubber hose. (This is what I did).

Replace the valve, o-ring, and separator gasket, and re-install. If you ditched the factory hose then just snake the new rubber line down and attach it to the valve and the back of the intake.

P.S. get a motorcraft PCV valve, aftermarket ones are not weighted right. I had to change mine twice the first time I did it because of this. Also, they are suppose to be done every 15,000 miles not every 150,000... :icon_rofl:
What time frame would you estimate this job to be? I get the deal about replacing the hose and only using a Motorcraft PCV. Removing the tire and wheel well cover and jacking the car seems like it would be a majority of the job.

BrunoTrk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L, 4-cylinger
Transmission
Manual
The oil separator has a rubber o-ring style gasket you will need to replace. As long as its not cracked and you clean the block side good you shouldn't have any leaks. And besides just using rubber line to replace the plastic nonsense, there's really nothing you can do to make the setup any easier. It sucks but it works and once you do it it won't be that much of a pain the next time.
Dirtman,
You indicate that you have changed out your PCV valve more than once.
What condition was the valve that you removed - was it clogged up and not functioning? :icon_confused:

BrunoTrk
2WD, '06 Ranger XLT, 2.3L, 5-spd

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unfortunately dirtman got banned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals