• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Durasparked - no power to fuel pump

85ranger2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Get dirty & enjoy it while you're here!!
I have completed my Duraspark on the 85' 2.8, and I have gone over everything a few dozen times. The trouble is that after removing all the junk as directed in the instructions, I now have no power to the fuel pump. The only thing I have doubts about , is when the instructions said to leave the oil pressure sensor and wiring in place. I left the sensor but had to cut the wire because it connected into the computer which was being removed. I have also been trying to find a wiring diagram for the fuel system wiring to find out if I removed the fuel pump relay. I found one post that said this relay was located on the R/S fender by all of the vacuum stuff. The directions said to remove it all, so I did with the exception of starter relay solenoid. My question and dilemma, is how to power the fuel pump again. Can I just direct wire it somehow and if so, do I add the inertia switch and what type of fuse should I use technology? I hope someone on here can help me soon. School begins in a week and I really need to have this runnining and to the paint shop asap, (it was supposed to go in for paint today,). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1985 Ranger 2.8l should have mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine, just follow the carbs fuel line down to it.

Remove fuel line from carb and place a bottle around it to catch fuel, crank engine a couple of times, if no fuel comes out make SURE there is gas in the tank, never assume there is, lol.

If there is fuel in the tank then loosen the IN from gas tank hose on the fuel pump
Get a short hose and a towel, put hose in the tank and wrap towel around it to seal tank opening as best you can, blow into the hose, you can generate about 2psi pressure which should cause gas to come out at the fuel pump fitting, DO NOT use air compressor for this, you WILL blow off fittings.
Retighten fuel pump fitting and crank engine again, fuel should now becoming out into the bottle.
If not then fuel pump is bad

If no fuel came out when you blew into the gas tank then screen in tank is clogged

Last edited:

85ranger2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
My credo
2 fuel pumps

I disconnected fuel line from carb last night, cranked it over several times until my battery started getting low and got nothing. I put 6 gallons in the tank from my lawn mower cans before trying this last night even though I was sure it had fuel just to be certain I am now getting ready to test the mechanical pump following your directions to see what happens.

I am kinda wondering about the pump in the tank because when I turn the key on, I do not hear any noise from the pump in the tank. I am also going to test the plug at the tank to see if there is any power getting back there. I will be posting the results in about an hour. I really could use some advice, I really need to get this running quick to have it painted before my son goes back to school next week. After saving for 6 months to buy all the Duraspark stuff, I just can't afford to send it to a shop.

Thanks,
Kevin

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't think there was an electric pump in the tank, certainly no need for both electric and mechanical fuel pump.

If there is a pump in the tank and you don't hear it then that will block fuel flow to mechanical pump.

No need to crank engine that long, fuel pumps do gallons per hour, so just a few cranks will show if it is working

Last edited:

85ranger2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fuel pump results

I finished the testing and the pump in the tank is not working. The plug going to the pump has pulsating current which makes sense. I have been wondering tonight if the mechanical pump is working properly or not as well. It was replaced last November but You never know. I wonder if I could put some fuel in a bottle directly under the mechanical pump to feed it and get a practical result without pressure in that line? Any thoughts?

The bad news is that the pump in the tank has been discontinued and I haven't had any luck finding one anywhere online. Does anyone know if the the old pump could be rebuilt? It seems pretty simplistic really if I could find something to pump at 5-7 ponds. The tank holds 17 gallons and I have a single tank (btw, I siphoned out 15 gallons before dropping the tank to check for power and to make sure the screen wasn't clogged. I was amazed at how clean that the screen and fuel tank were. If anyone knows of a secret stash of fuel pumps somewhere, please let me know, lol.

The pump has one plug with 2 prongs and does NOT have a return line. I will send a pic of the lifeless fuel pump.

I truly am grateful for everyone's help!

Kevin

Thanks for the input, I truly do appreciate it

85ranger2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The in-tank fuel pump picture

image.jpg

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
That does not look like a fuel pump, it is just the fuel level sender with the pickup tube.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Agreed, not a fuel pump.

Get a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge and test the mechanical pump. You should get at least 4 psi.

I have drilled a small hole in a plastic gas can cap and inserted about six feet of clear plastic hose. Make sure the hole is smaller than the hose so it is self sealing.

Attach the hose to the carb inlet.

Place gas can on roof.

Use hose to a can from the fuel pump line that you disconnected from the carb in case it starts working again.

When ready to fire up the truck, tilt the can on the roof onto it's front so that fuel can run down to the carb. Wait a minute for the fuel bowl in the carb to fill up, check for leaks.

Fire up the truck.

At least you will know that the carb is working if the truck fires. Then you can concentrate on fuel pump and lines to the pump.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, for sure not a fuel pump, just the sending unit for gas gauge.
There is a "sock" in the tank like a pre-filter, it should be checked

Fuel gauge uses pulsed 5volt power from power supply behind dash board, the pulsing voltage you saw.
A fuel pump uses 12volts on or off, no pulsing

Last edited:

85ranger2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks for all of the great advice. I did the suggested tests and it turned out that my 8 month old mechanical fuel pump was bad. We are getting good fuel, now I just have to get the timing dialed in to see if the duraspark is going give us some positive results! Thanks again to all!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals