• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark II Distributor Issue

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
Hello all,
I am beginning to gather parts to do the Duraspark conversion in a few weeks on my 85 Ranger. Apparently nowadays, it is impossible to find the Cardone 30-2691 single vacuum distributor. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge if I would be able to use the Cardone 30-2671 dual vacuum distributor and just block off the other vacuum port. It is used to retard the timing when decelerating. The two dizzies are identical with the exception of the extra vacuum port on the top side.
Thanks!

Here are links to the two:
Dual Vacuum:
Single Vacuum:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
IDK can you find the single vacuum pod separate and just swap it out?

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
IDK can you find the single vacuum pod separate and just swap it out?
I think I could, but it would probably end up with the same result. The problem right now is finding either dizzie

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have any old bone yards close the 2.8 was in mid to late 70s capri, mustang II and pintos...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I got my distributor to module harness from a 1983 2.3 ranger made it plug and play I only had to splice one wire to coil neg...

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
Do you have any old bone yards close the 2.8 was in mid to late 70s capri, mustang II and pintos...
I’ve been trying to call around and find something, no luck yet though

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I got mine from O Reilly's and I just checked, they still list it. They were the cheapest and wanted the least for a core, since I didn't have a core. They want $75 plus $5 core. They do have to order it though, they don't keep it in stock in the store. And I believe it took little over a week to get it. They don't keep it in their local warehouse either.

You will start finding this out anytime you order anything for the 2.8. It took a week to get a waterpump, though you can get brand new ones. We probably have the people in Britain to thank for some of this, I think they used the 2.8 way more than we did over here. Not many 2.8's still left over here.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Hello all,
I am beginning to gather parts to do the Duraspark conversion in a few weeks on my 85 Ranger. Apparently nowadays, it is impossible to find the Cardone 30-2691 single vacuum distributor. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge if I would be able to use the Cardone 30-2671 dual vacuum distributor and just block off the other vacuum port. It is used to retard the timing when decelerating. The two dizzies are identical with the exception of the extra vacuum port on the top side.
Thanks!

Here are links to the two:
Dual Vacuum:
Single Vacuum:
The dual vacuum distributor will work fine but DON'T plug the retard vacuum port, that will restrict the advance from moving.

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
I got mine from O Reilly's and I just checked, they still list it. They were the cheapest and wanted the least for a core, since I didn't have a core. They want $75 plus $5 core. They do have to order it though, they don't keep it in stock in the store. And I believe it took little over a week to get it. They don't keep it in their local warehouse either.

You will start finding this out anytime you order anything for the 2.8. It took a week to get a waterpump, though you can get brand new ones. We probably have the people in Britain to thank for some of this, I think they used the 2.8 way more than we did over here. Not many 2.8's still left over here.
I just looked on O Reilly, and it’s out of stock and can’t be ordered. I believe this is because this swap is so common that people buy the distributor but don’t have one to send back so they can’t reman them

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
The dual vacuum distributor will work fine but DON'T plug the retard vacuum port, that will restrict the advance from moving.
Good to know, thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just looked on O Reilly, and it’s out of stock and can’t be ordered. I believe this is because this swap is so common that people buy the distributor but don’t have one to send back so they can’t reman them
Did you call the store? The store's inventory software is not the same as what you see online sometimes.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a really hard time finding a distributor. I checked 10+ junkyards within 200 miles of me and NONE of them had ANY Mustang IIs. I actually didn't call O'Reilly but others have had luck ordering one in store.

I found one by posting an ad on Craigslist... I scored a distributor, carb, ignition module and most of the harness for a hundred bucks.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pinto's had the 2.8 also. But most all are crushed by now.

Here's one in Va. They say they will not ship. How far away is Floyd from you?

Distributor
Ford Pinto
CHECK WIRES CUT WILL NOT SHIP TAG # 6476
X​
LP76476
$50​
G & B Auto Parts, Inc. USA-VA(Floyd) Request_Quote 540-745-7401 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14

wadehilts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So is the dual vacuum advance dizzy basically exactly the same except for the optional feature of timing retard on overrun? If you leave it disconnected would there be any difference in performance?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals