• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark conversion.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
So, is that what we're looking for, one Ohm of resistance? That doesn't seem like much.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Resistor wire is measured in ohms per foot.

@19Walt93 knows the internal resistance for a duraspark coil. Seems to me everyone i checked over the years was right around 6 ohms.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Here's a new question: can anyone give me an idea of what the fifth fastener looks like for the EGR Spacer? I'm referring to the one closest to the upper radiator hose (it's unlike the other four).

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Allen head cap bolt? Hmm, I don't think I have any of those in my pile of orphaned hardware. Metric, right?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, metric:

These are what the other four should look like.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

@19Walt93 knows the internal resistance for a duraspark coil. Seems to me everyone i checked over the years was right around 6 ohms.
6 is way too high. The Ford spec is 1.05 to 1.15 ohms.

Think of the ignition coil like a tank you are filling with electricity. When the module first grounds the coil and the coil starts filling up with energy, to the circuit and the module it looks like a dead short for a instant. The small resistance in the circuit throttles the amount of current that is able to pass through the circuit, and the module is part of this circuit. As the coil fills up, the amount of current is less and less.

That is why the module tends to fail without the resistor, there is too much current going through it. 1 ohm is not much resistance, but it is enough to drop the voltage across the coil from 12 down to 9-10v when the engine is running.

The Ford TFI and the GM HEI both have current limiting circuits built into the module, so they do not need external resistance.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
6 is way too high. The Ford spec is 1.05 to 1.15 ohms.

Think of the ignition coil like a tank you are filling with electricity. When the module first grounds the coil and the coil starts filling up with energy, to the circuit and the module it looks like a dead short for a instant. The small resistance in the circuit throttles the amount of current that is able to pass through the circuit, and the module is part of this circuit. As the coil fills up, the amount of current is less and less.

That is why the module tends to fail without the resistor, there is too much current going through it. 1 ohm is not much resistance, but it is enough to drop the voltage across the coil from 12 down to 9-10v when the engine is running.

The Ford TFI and the GM HEI both have current limiting circuits built into the module, so they do not need external resistance.
I wasn't speaking of the ballast. I was referring to the coil. The only Duraspark schematic i have is for a 2.0L in my 85 EVTM (you also posted it) and it says 1.33 ohms I believe. But the coil also has some internal resistance.ive used a ton of Bosch blue coil over the years. It was my coil of choice for VW pointed ignitions and the popular electronic ignition conversions. Those coils are internally resisted and they ohm out right about 6 ohms. They work fine in the instances I've used them. I'm 95% sure I used one in my V8 duraspark swaped Ranger... with no resistor wire or ballast.

I did look online and did see Ford Duraspark coils have 0.7 ohms internally. I swear Walt had made mention of them being higher then that.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Manuals are our friends.
So that manual says the ballast resistor can be .8 to 1.6 ohms and still be serviceable.

In a pinch people have used the resistors found on older Chrysler products with success, even though their values are a little different.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I don’t know how this could fit into a duraspark 2 harness, but the only ballast resistor listed for any 1985 light truck applications is d7az-12250-a.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

Nope, if I remember right it's 1.1 to 1.3 ohms. Lower resistance will make a little hotter spark but your module will die early and often.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Nope, if I remember right it's 1.1 to 1.3 ohms. Lower resistance will make a little hotter spark but your module will die early and often.
So, @ 1.4 Ohms am I OK with the NAPA coil or should I go with the Accel coil and in-line resistor (kinda lost now)?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Also, the EGR spacer & 2150 are mounted but this doesn't seem right:

20220813_105758.jpg

1. The kick down tube pulls the kick down lever so far back that there's no way that adjusting screw can do anything.
  2. The ball on the end of the post seems too small for the socket.
  3. The socket is too far forward to snap onto the ball.
(yes, I know the carb nuts are not tightened down)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals