• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark conversion.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks @RobbieD !

I opted to get both the EVTM as well as the large format wiring diagrams, for ~$31 total. Can't beat that. My wife's in-home business has a large format copier so I'll be able to make "garage copies" of the wiring diagrams. Now, cleaning up the wiring in the engine compartment should be a snap.
Congratulations! Once you start using them, you'll see how valuable they are to have.

It's well worth what you spent; in fact, you made out like a bandit!

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
After restoring several early Mustangs, I'm well aware of how valuable a resource like that is. With the internet (which wasn't a thing when I was doing Mustangs), I figured you could find them on-line and download them. That's not quite correct as only bits & pieces are available. But, $31 is a pittance and now I'll always have them for reference.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After restoring several early Mustangs, I'm well aware of how valuable a resource like that is. With the internet (which wasn't a thing when I was doing Mustangs), I figured you could find them on-line and download them. That's not quite correct as only bits & pieces are available. But, $31 is a pittance and now I'll always have them for reference.
So you have an 85 with the A4LD auto and you're doing the duraspark?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
So you have an 85 with the A4LD auto and you're doing the duraspark?
Yes, the previous owner bought everything to do the conversion and then had health issues and couldn't complete the project. So, not only am I doing a 'resto-mod' and re-assembly, I'm doing the conversion as well. Both engine & trans are out of the truck, currently.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thanks @RobbieD !

I opted to get both the EVTM as well as the large format wiring diagrams, for ~$31 total. Can't beat that. My wife's in-home business has a large format copier so I'll be able to make "garage copies" of the wiring diagrams. Now, cleaning up the wiring in the engine compartment should be a snap.
You got a bargain, I paid $39 at Carlisle for a 93 Ranger EVTM. I gutted my truck and build my own wiring harness so I wanted one I could write in and mark up. Knowledge is valuable, knowledge on paper that you can't forget is priceless.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
knowledge on paper that you can't forget is priceless.
Especially for us older model main frames with degraded RAM.

Now where in the hell did I put my glasses?

Never mind . . .

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, the previous owner bought everything to do the conversion and then had health issues and couldn't complete the project. So, not only am I doing a 'resto-mod' and re-assembly, I'm doing the conversion as well. Both engine & trans are out of the truck, currently.
How do you plan on managing the torque converter lock up if the A4LD?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Now where in the hell did I put my glasses?
They're probably on the top of your head...

Seriously, I used to have the same problem (forgetting where I put things). Now, when I put something down, like my glasses, I stare at the object for a second or two. That seems to tdo the trick, I can recall where I left it. It's when you put something down when looking elsewhere that you won't recall, at least for me.
How do you plan on managing the torque converter lock up if the A4LD?
I was going to go with the pressure switch in the tailshaft of the tranny. I notice that you have the same powertrain is I do. How did you do it?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
You got a bargain, I paid $39 at Carlisle for a 93 Ranger EVTM.
IIRC, these things were hundreds of dollars when the trucks were new. I recall wanting a shop manual when I bought my first Ranger (from the dealer). I believe you could order one using a form that was in the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure they were north of a Franklin. I opted not to buy one.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
IIRC, these things were hundreds of dollars when the trucks were new. I recall wanting a shop manual when I bought my first Ranger (from the dealer). I believe you could order one using a form that was in the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure they were north of a Franklin. I opted not to buy one.
I don't remember ever selling one to a customer but Ford charged us plenty for manuals. A dealer didn't have to buy them, we'd have online access to the current model year anyway. But if we didn't buy the "Value package", we didn't have access to online training or past model years so Ford would refuse to pay warranty claims on anything they knew we didn't have access to. When I retired in 2017, the "value" package was north of $5000. But we "didn't have to" buy it. You don't need a parachute to jump out of an airplane, either. It only matters when you land.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're probably on the top of your head...

Seriously, I used to have the same problem (forgetting where I put things). Now, when I put something down, like my glasses, I stare at the object for a second or two. That seems to tdo the trick, I can recall where I left it. It's when you put something down when looking elsewhere that you won't recall, at least for me.

I was going to go with the pressure switch in the tailshaft of the tranny. I notice that you have the same powertrain is I do. How did you do it?
Well I started out with the pressure switch. It went horribly wrong for me. I drilled the hole, shavings got in the trans and then my valve body never shifted again. So I got the trans rebuilt locally. Had a time finding a decent rebuilt valve body, but once we did it seems to work well.

So I rode with it on a manual switch for a while (after I replaced the solenoid and got it working properly), then I bought a speed switch and paired it with a universal vacuum switch and tuned it to my liking. It is almost as good as the computer in my opinion as it has two inputs to tune to get the transmission to do what you want.

I know a lot of people used the pressure switch and it worked, but I would I only advise it if you plan on dropping the transfer case and removing the tail housing to drill and tap the hole. It's the safest way to do that. Don't be dumb like me. 😂

More info and good reading about all this in one of my threads.

I also highly recommend the Transgo Shift kit. It is definitely worth the $20 and the tech support is amazing. Helped me solve issues via email.

Last edited:

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
The p.o. seems to have done a LOT of research. I have contacted a local transmission shop that's willing to do the rebuild. They seem well aware of the A4LD's short-comings but know the trans can be made good if you address all of the issues at rebuild time. They're willing to drill & tap the pressure switch hole for me, while the trans is apart, and the truck came with the Transgo kit as well as other things for the rebuild. So, I'm hoping that things will work out OK.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It sure seems to be getting a lot harder to find the specialty repair shops (as in transmission rebuilds) that actually know this older stuff, and most don't even want to try and work on them.

It sounds like you have a lot going for you in getting this tranny rebuilt right and getting it set up for the Duraspark conversion. Good luck!

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
It sure seems to be getting a lot harder to find the specialty repair shops (as in transmission rebuilds) that actually know this older stuff, and most don't even want to try and work on them.
I contacted a few shops in my area before finding the one that offered to work on it. The other shops wanted to remove/replace the tranny as part of the job and became uninterested once I mentioned the tranny was already out of the truck (as well as the engine). They also wanted ~$1500 to do everything. Sorry, but that's crazy.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The p.o. seems to have done a LOT of research. I have contacted a local transmission shop that's willing to do the rebuild. They seem well aware of the A4LD's short-comings but know the trans can be made good if you address all of the issues at rebuild time. They're willing to drill & tap the pressure switch hole for me, while the trans is apart, and the truck came with the Transgo kit as well as other things for the rebuild. So, I'm hoping that things will work out OK.
If the pressure switch doesn't do what you want, drop me a line.

I can help walk through my setup of you're interested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals