• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Conversion

tprice1965

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am a newbie to this forum and would greatly appreciate your help.
I would like to do a duraspark conversion on my 84 Bronco II with a 2.8L V6. I followed the following link: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.shtml. I found (2) 30-2691 distributors (see photo), however, neither of them look compatible with any of the other parts that I ordered from the link above.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Both those are supposed to be 30-2691? Neither one is correct like you already figured out. The one on the right takes a bolt on TFI module and has no vacuum advance unit. So it's a computer type unit, like the one you want to get rid of. Not sure what the one on the left fits, it doesn't look right either. But you do have the right Cardone part number. You can look them up at Autozone, O'Reillys and any of the others. They have pictures of what it looks like. When I did my conversion, I think I bought mine from O' Reilly's. I believe I picked them because they has the least core charge. Of course doing the conversion, you do not have the proper distributor to turn back in, so you will be hit with the core charge.

tprice1965

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the post - these distributors are extremely hard to find - went to Oreillys and have an idea what I need, but it may take me a while to find one. Thanks Again franklin2!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I googled Cardone 30-2691 and O Reilly's came right up in the search. But I see it's not in stock for online ordering. You could call the store and see if they can get it. I seem to remember that it took about a week for them to get it, and I had to go pick it up. I see it's still $75.00 with a $5 core charge.

You can also try Napa. They list it for $116.99 with a $16.67 core charge. Looks like the supply of these is drying up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you have any old bone yards close look for a late 70s pinto, mustang II or Capri with the 2.8l for the distributor, module and harness…

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If you have any old bone yards close look for a late 70s pinto, mustang II or Capri with the 2.8l for the distributor, module and harness…
Those cars haven't been in junkyards for a long time. It's hard to find anything from the early 90's, much less late 70's.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There are three distributors available for the Duraspark swap that I am aware of - two Ford ones, one has single vacuum advance, the other has dual vacuum. There is also a Bosch distributor, which takes a different, smaller cap that has female terminals vs the male ones on the Ford caps. Maybe that's what the one on the left is? I had one years ago but I don't recall what it looked like.

These distributors (and carbs, for that matter) are very hard to find in junkyards. I went to probably 7 or 8 different places that had zero donor cars. Found a dozen Chevy Vegas though, go figure. You may have to get creative and use want ads on Craigslist... or drive out in the sticks and see if you can spot someone's private junk collection, some of my coolest junk came from just driving by and knocking on the door.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Those cars haven't been in junkyards for a long time. It's hard to find anything from the early 90's, much less late 70's.
Yea anything with a carb is the first to the crusher. The person at the desk does not know what is in the staging lot.

wadehilts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know whether this conversion can be done without destroying your chances at passing DEQ? Where I live, an 84 Ranger must be at 2.0% CO or less at idle. Can you get away with that after a duraspark conversion?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know whether this conversion can be done without destroying your chances at passing DEQ? Where I live, an 84 Ranger must be at 2.0% CO or less at idle. Can you get away with that after a duraspark conversion?
I have never had to pass smog. But my gut tells me that a fine running duraspark conversion with new carb is going to be a lot cleaner than a lousy running broken original system.
The carb is going to be the key. It may not pass if you keep the original carb but convert the ignition to duraspark. That's what I did at first, and while it ran fine that way with the computer carb not hooked to anything, it must have been running a little rich. When I finally put a regular carb on it, my on the road fuel mileage jumped 5 mpg.

I would suspect if you adjust the new carb as lean as possible at idle with the mixture screws, that it would pass the sniffer test. You could also find out if a 1979 mustang or pinto with a 2.8 has to pass the same test. That's basically what you are doing when you convert. You are setting your engine up like one of those older 2.8's.

wadehilts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have never had to pass smog. But my gut tells me that a fine running duraspark conversion with new carb is going to be a lot cleaner than a lousy running broken original system.
The carb is going to be the key. It may not pass if you keep the original carb but convert the ignition to duraspark. That's what I did at first, and while it ran fine that way with the computer carb not hooked to anything, it must have been running a little rich. When I finally put a regular carb on it, my on the road fuel mileage jumped 5 mpg.

I would suspect if you adjust the new carb as lean as possible at idle with the mixture screws, that it would pass the sniffer test. You could also find out if a 1979 mustang or pinto with a 2.8 has to pass the same test. That's basically what you are doing when you convert. You are setting your engine up like one of those older 2.8's.
Thank you for that insight! I think you're probably right. And I also just checked the emissions requirements for my state (Oregon) and they have the same 1.0% CO standard for ALL vehicles after 1975. So the duraspark system should be able to pass this. I probably couldn't get away with removing the air pump tho, but I have an AFR reader at home and I could check whether it's needed. If the air pump's operation isn't controlled by the ECU (which seems unlikely since smog pumps predate EFI by many years), then I should be in the clear to get rid of all the feedback carb crap and tune the carb to a smooth idle that will pass DEQ!!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
In my area, we do not have a sniffer test but all the inspectors look at the exhaust for a cat, and some of them will lift the hood and look for the smog pump. They don't know if it's working or not, but if it's there with a belt on it and has some obvious lines going to it, they are ok with it.

The stock aircleaner helps hide a lot. If there are chrome valve covers and a open air cleaner, that raises suspicion. If it looks mostly stock, they don't know the difference, they look at so many different cars and trucks. But the cat and the air pump are big ones were I live.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
In case it helps, I left both the cat and the AIR pump in place when I did my Duraspark conversion. If I recall from researching it, the AIR just does its thing on its own, and helps the cat do what its supposed to do. I've had no issue or downside to leaving them on, and I don't know about my truck passing smog as where I live it's too old to require testing.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
After three years I went to adjust the valve lash and pulled a plug it still had .044gap with a toasty brown insulator. AP-105 so I checked all six and they were all the same. If the plugs are getting carbon fouled go ahead and change the valve guide seals. You can do it with air pressure and a palm spring compressor. The only noise the engine makes is that fuel pump ticking noise. If your valve guide seals are dripping oil it is just a matter of time it cooks the cat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals