• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Conversion

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
So I got everything for the conversion and started tearing into it. Never knew there was so much wiring and vacuum lines lol. The tech section is'nt really clear on the how to portion either. Found out you can't really get rid of the computer and harness because the wires you need to keep feed into it, IE the Elec choke, water temp, oil pressure, AC, and Alt. So basically you have to cut out all the other wires you don't need anymore and keep the ones you do need. No wonder some people say it's a nightmare and it takes a while. Granted it does look alot cleaner under the hood. I've done all this and have'nt even fired her up yet. So now I'm putting the computer and harness back in after I cut out the wires I don't need, Tech section should mention that. And then do I need to keep the wires going to my stock coil (the plug and the resistor) or will it still fire to the new distributor? Also the tech section says to splice into the grey wire for the distributor, if it was'nt like that before do I still need to do that or only if I switched coils? Any help would be appreciated.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I completely ditched my computer, just get an after market temp and oil pressire gauge.

1986broncoiister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats wierd i did not have to keep any wires from the computer :dunno:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I only had to cut a few wires choke, power to computer and solenoids for the vapor system. I`m still using the stock coil and guages, the module just plugs into the two wire connector dont worry about the red and white being reversed it is correct. I just used the power wire for the computer key on hot to the coil pos and the green wire from the module to coil neg the other three wires go to the dizzy. I disconnected the choke and found it really gets good gas mileage now with #43 jets I`m pushing 20mpg. The choke really sucks the fuel on mine so I disabled it I will find out when it it gets cold out but at 50 degrees she starts right up.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Well it's raining it's but off now, so I'm not playing with it lol. I did'nt think about after market gauges, that's an idea too. I'll look real close and see what can be elimanated. All the vacuum wires can go, I saw that. I was just concerned about the ones I mentioned. Luckily I'm not in a real hurry so can take my time with it. I appreciate all the info and help too, thanks.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
From the 8 wire connector by the coil strip the computer harness back to the alternator leave it connected you can trace the water temp, oil pressure and alternator wires and leave then connected the rest of the computer harness goes away. You should only have to cut one or two wires at the 8 wire connector just cut them long for future use. one is power to the computer and coil leave it connected to the coil. cut the coil neg wire long as possible to connect to the green wire from the module 4 wire connector. Yours being a 84 the wiring is yippie skippie. The two wire connector just plugs right into the module. I got a harness out of a 84 4cyl ranger for the dizzy it plugged right into the 4 wire connector and you connect the green wire to coil neg. If you have the automatic OD tranny you can just switch the OD manually or there are a couple other ways to switch it in the tech library under duraspark conversion. Yea take your time cut wires long it took me one day for the wiring and after two years of trying different things I got the carb nailed. Do me a favor and get #44 or #43 jets and put them in the feedback carb and see how it performs. Just hook the vacuum advance into the manifold vacuum tree and just plug all other vacuum fittings not used. I remember mine ran really good with the stock carb but it really sucked on mileage. Try the smaller jets the stock carb comes with #50 jets and make sure the EGR is plugged and not leaking. Fixing all the vacuum leaks is real important.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Well, the weather was good enough to work on her today lol. Got her all together and could'nt get her to fire up. Was getting a little frustrated too. Went thru it all and finally figured the coil was bad. Put new coil in and she fired right up. MSD blaster wired in. Could'nt believe how much better she ran. The wiring is a nightmare if you plan on keeping any of it, I just decided to ditch it all. Alt light is staying on now though, only putting out 11. To everyone who helped thank you. Got some little tweeking to do and I can finally go for a ride in her again.

1986broncoiister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice i just got everything done on mine but im waiting tell tomorrow to start it finally :yahoo: i like your bronco it looks clean

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Thanks, not bad looking for a 28 year old ride. I could'nt believe the amount of wire and vacuum lines that came off it. I oughta take a picture of the pile of junk and post it lol. Just wait to you fire yours up and hear the difference, it's amazing. Good luck.

1986broncoiister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know there's alot of it lol and i probably wont be able to sleep tonight haha

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/chargingsystem.htm
the charging system is real easy to troubleshoot just dont run it for any amount of time if it is not correct you will be buying all new parts. Check all your grounds are good sand metal to metal and add a ground from battery neg to the alternator body. Is your regulator internal or external located and follow the procedures for no load and load tests the battery needs to be fully charged and in good condition. If any one of the three are bad battery, regulator or alternator it can destroy the other two rather quick make sure and isolate the fault before you run it any amount of time.

Ptford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
someone post pics of alternator wiring for 84 b2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals