• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark conversion -- which OEM carb?

utvairs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am contemplating a budget duraspark conversion on my '84 Ranger with 2.8L. I have been looking on ebay and other places for a rebuildable Mastercraft 2150 carb, and am finding that there are many "bore" sizes to choose from... i.e. 1.08, 1.21, etc. Since I didn't find any listed that specifically state they are for a 2.8L, I am unsure which bore size is the correct match for my engine.

The next question I have is, am I wasting my time and $$ with an OEM carb, or will I be better off in the long run with the Holley?

Thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You want the 1.08 venturi one.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
there is always this option too, the benefits of a duraspark, with the benefits of fuel injection,

i have done this one twice now, both times was less than $100.00 total (the second time we got lucky and found the parts for $38)

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I've also used a 1.21 venturi carb on a 2.8. When I ordered it I specified a 79 Mustang with a 302 and that's what they sent me. It works pretty good but is probably a bit more carb than is needed and it sometimes bogs down a bit (I believe because the carb is too large) when you hit the throttle hard. It never fully stalls so it's livable.

I again find myself doing a duraspark conversion and this time I specified an older eight cylinder application (75 302 Mustang) and they again sent out a 1.21 venturi carb (this was my mistake though, I meant to order a 2.8 carb). I haven't wrapped this one up yet but it seems like it's going to be the same story with the carb being a bit too much for the engine, but it still runs well. From my two experiences, I think you need to specify a 2.8 carb if you want to get a 1.08 venturi. My two trials both ended up with 1.21 carbs.

As far as going Holley or 2150, I thought the same thing and after much reading I chose the 2150, which is regarded as one of the best carbs ever made, by several sources. It works well off road. I have an 85 BII with a 302 and Edelbrock Performer carb on it and the 84 with the 2.8/2150 combo. We took both of them wheeling and the Edebrock equipped vehicle was constantly stalling at nearly any angle we put it at while the 2150 just kept chugging away, and this is even after a friend of mine who is very experienced with Edelbrock carbs helped me tune it (it also has the "off-road" kit installed), he runs them exlusively on his derby cars and he runs derbies all summer long, sometimes multiple a weekend.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
1.08 or smaller I`m running #43 jets it improved lower end torque alot also gets better fuel mileage. Save yourself some headache and get carb spacer felpro #60529. Be careful buying a carb on ebay many are not serviceable I bought two one the venturi cluster was frozen in and fell apart when removed and the other had a sticky butterfly shaft. I stopped by a local auto repair shop and the guy had one on the shelf he just gave me.

aggieengnr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So as far as getting/ finding a budget carb for duraspark ignition, going to autozone/ napa/ oreilly, etc and specifying I need a carb for a 79 mustang w the 2.8 should yield the correct carb for a duraspark conversion right?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Sounds like a fairly safe bet, probably what I would do if I were to get another one. You can always ask to look at it before you purchase it and it should have 1.08 cast into the lower part of it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you specify manual or auto tranny.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea get the carb spacer felpro #60529 to put under the carb. The spacer has gaskets on both sides but you still need to put the gasket between the carb and spacer and just snug it down do not overtighten it. After a few complete warm up cycles snug it down again engine cold.

aggieengnr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I took the risk and got a cheap 2150 carb from eBay. It is 1.08 Venturi and I gambled on it fitting the ranger.

I have questions about the throttle linkage and choke

Here is the original throttle linkage as it sits stockImageUploadedByTapatalk1362841292.319363.jpg

And here is the setup on the eBay carb:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362841332.251448.jpg

Will this work?

Now as far as the choke, the eBay carb has vacuum actuated choke And I know the stock rangers have electronic.

I'm planning on duraspark conversion so do I need vacuum or electronic choke or does it matter?

Here's stock ranger choke setup:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362841501.551703.jpg

And eBay carb setup:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362841533.984730.jpg

What do y'all think?

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
The throttle linkage should work fine, if you are worried about it swap it when rebuilding.

Like I am doing, why not just install manual choke cable and be done?

Why did you buy the carb? What was wrong with your current one, wrong Venturi?

aggieengnr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My current one is the feedback carb. I'm needing a non-feedback carb for a duraspark conversion.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My current one is the feedback carb. I'm needing a non-feedback carb for a duraspark conversion.
That carb should work just fine you just need to set it up correct. The ebay carb does not have the kickdown lever for the tranny not really a big issue you can shift down manually if necessary. You can put the choke thermostat off the feedback carb and just run power from the alternator to it the stator wire produces about 8 volts when the engine is running. On the choke housing ther is the preheater tube you dont have on your engine it is the threaded part that faces down at a 45 degree angle you need to cap that off as it is a vacuum leak. Get some smaller jets I have been running #43s and am going to put #41s in today and will report on the performance. There was a noteable improvement in going with the #43 jets in both performance and fuel economy. It no longer bellows black smoke pulling a mountain pass at 60+ mph. The biggest problem you have to overcome is vacuum leaks so get the carb spacer felpro#60529 surface the base of your carb and put a new gasket between the carb and the spacer. Do not over tighten the carb down just take it down slow and even and get the nuts snug and after a few complete warm ups snug it down again cold. Set the timing at exactly 10 degrees BTDC and adjust the idle air needles for the highest possible rpm, both sides twice with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, adjust the idle speed and do it again. The motor will tell you if you have everything correct just listen. GL

aggieengnr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Which part from the feedback carb would be the thermostat piece I need to rig up for the automatic choke?

Right now I'm about to tear into the eBay carb and soak and rebuild it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The round black thing on the side of the carb with the bimetal spring inside. On the feedback carb it may have what look like rivets holding it on the are break away screws. Take a small chizzle and hammer and turn them out until you can grab them with your fingers and. Actually what I did was able to put the whole choke assy from the feedback carb on the non feedback carb and that plugged the vacuum leak. If it has the round electrical connector on the choke thermostst you have to hook it to the alternator S or stator connector it only puts out 8 volts when the engine is running. 12 volts will burn up the heater coil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals