• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Choke Setup

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to do a duraspark setup on my Bronco II. I found a NOS 1.08 2150 Motorcraft carb. The choke assembly has a place on the cover for a wire. Where does that wire come from? It also has a place on the bottom side that something is supposed to hook to it. It has a male/male connector threaded into it, so I'm curious what hooks up to that and where does the other end go? Also, any idea where I can get the line that hooks up to that part of the choke assembly?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good read here on the 2150 carb: http://grantorinosport.org/bubbaf250/carb/carb02.html

At the bottom of the page click on "external system" link for choke info

Reads like you have a "hot air with electric assist" choke

On your alternator there should be a short White wire jumper on the alternator, thats the Stator wire you need to splice into, but test it first to make sure it is 0 volts when plugged in and key is off
I would use an inline 20amp fuse on that choke wire

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It also has a place on the bottom side that something is supposed to hook to it. It has a male/male connector threaded into it, so I'm curious what hooks up to that and where does the other end go? Also, any idea where I can get the line that hooks up to that part of the choke assembly?
On the carbs I'm familiar with there will be a metal tube that is attached to the intake manifold. There is an exhaust crossover passage that allows warm exhaust gases to heat up under the carb . this tube taps into that warm air to heat up the choke spring as the engine warms up. As the spring warms the spring relaxes and the choke plate will open. That tube attaches to the port under the choke housing that you speak of with the male to male fitting.

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you both for the replies. The carb in the link you posted is like the one I have, so hot air choke with electric assist. I'll look to wire it up like you mention with an inline fuse.

Regarding the hot air choke. Any chance you could post a picture of where on the intake manifold I need to hook up the tube to?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry. Don't have pics or that motor. I never did any work on a 2.8. My info is from v-8 engines. But it should be fairly obvious if they did the same type of crossover as a v-8. There would be an oblong metal plate about 3/16" thick and maybe 1"x3" with a tube coming out of the center. That tube connection is very often corroded so bad it breaks off the plate.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Note from the link:

Both the electric assist and all-electric chokes have an electric spade terminal on the end of the choke housing cap and one or more ceramic heaters inside the cap. The spade terminal is supplied with +12V from the alternator’s stator terminal. Whenever the engine is running, the ceramic heater warms the bimetallic thermostat to open the choke.

Not every alternator has such a terminal. You can hook it up to 12V, but then it will heat the choke when the key is on but the engine isn't running - not ideal.

You could go with a manual choke conversion kit: Dorman 55101

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you don't want to bother with a hot air tube you can replace the choke cap with a full electric one for a Holley carb and just feed it 12 volts. The keyed power wire on the wiper motor is a good source. If you're going to use the hot air tube it should run to the exhaust manifold and maybe clamped against the side of the manifold to pick up some heat, then run alternator stator power to the choke cap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals