• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dunlop Mud Rover

Deerslayer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put a set of these on my 2002 Ranger, 31x10.50 - 15. I have about 1500 miles on them now, with a bit of dirt roading and a day spent in the sand and a little mud down at Ocala Forest. No complaints about the on road performance aside from the noise, which was about what I expected it to be. Seemed ok on the trails, though I am pretty conservative and never pushed their limits. We'll see how long they last.

One interesting thing about this -- going to these tires from the stock 235/75R15 did NOT reduce the gas mileage. Yes, the speedometer is off now, and if I went by the in-dash odometer to calculate gas mileage I would think that the mileage went down because with the larger diameter tires (31" vs about 29") the truck actually travels farther than a mile each time the odometer registers a mile.

I have a scanguage II. This is a device that communicates directly with the vehicle's computer through the OBDII port, and picks up various parameters including the each revolution of the wheel (through the ABS sensors). It's easy to calibrate a scanguage using a GPS as a reference. It also measures fuel flow and so you can get a pretty accurate MPG reading.

With the old stock size tires I calibrated the scanguage and discovered that on my commute to work, mostly highway miles, I was getting a pretty consistent 20-21 mpg. This is with a 4.0 SOHC, 5 speed, and 4.10 gears, running exactly the speed limit using cruise control whenever possible. Temperature, traffic conditions, air conditioner and such might vary it a little, but not much -- the truck is very consistent.

With the new tires, and the scanguage recalibrated so that it is reading exactly consistent with the GPS, over the same commute, the result is . . . 20-21 mpg. :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't slack off on rotating them. They (just like any other mud tire) are very dependant on that.

I got mine used, they were kinda noisy then but I don't really care. I didn't really bother rotating them, I figured since I didn't drive it a whole lot it wouldn' matter. I finally get a engine in it worth a crap, rotate the tires and I get it wound up on the highway... it seems somebody on the back of the truck is out of round.

Otherwise, I love the tires too. Kinda noisy... but it adds charactor. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals