• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duff lift hardware

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I bought a used duff lift and it didn't come with any hardware. I was just curious if anyone had a build of materials list or something for the TTB drop brackets so I know what bolt sizes to get and not just half ass guess. I tried emailing duff but no luck.

thanks

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Call them and ask for Troy. He will get you what you need.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Or, I am going there today and if I can remember I will get you a list.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
that would be awesome if you can get a list!

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry but I forgot about your bolts today. They are closed now but I will get what you need in the morning.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome ya i just so happen to need the same list =D if you get it to grunow ill just grab it from him.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Sorry but I forgot about your bolts today. They are closed now but I will get what you need in the morning.
awesome thanks!

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok here's what I got. For the right axle pivot bracket you reuse the factory bolts plus drill one hole and put in a 1/2" x 1 1/2" grade 5 bolt. Also reuse the pivot bolt. If you want to replace your factory bolts just take them with you and buy new ones. For the left side you take out the rivets and use 1/2"x 1 3/4" grade 8 bolts (4) and the factory pivot bolt.

I think when we done mine at the Duff shop we replaced all but 2 factory bolts. They were an oddball that had to be reused.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
:headbang:you are awesome:icon_thumby:

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ha! Thanx. All I done is what I suggested you do. Troy knows cuz he packs all the stuff.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome i also thank you!

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here's a copy of the install instructions:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

4WD Bronco II, 93-97 Ranger & 91-94Explorer Suspension Systems

PART#5023-5029

CONTENTS:
2- Coil springs, blue powder coated
1- Coil spring spacer shim, black painted
2- Coil seat, blue urethane
2- 1" cast blocks or Add-a-leafs w/ center bolts
2- Radius Arm Drop Brackets, blue powder coated
1- Right Axle Drop Bracket, blue powdercoated
1- Left Axle Drop Bracket, cast, blue powder coated
8- Nyloc nuts, 7/16" fine thread
4- U-bolts, zinc plated 1/2" finethread

INSTRUCTIONS: Please read all the way through beforebeginning.

1. Measure and record vehicle height from axle to frame, next torubber bump stop. Measure and record vehicle height at wheel opening,through center of wheel, from ground to fender, both sides. If vehicleis lower on one side, the round spring spacer shim should be installedwith the lift to level the low side.

2. Jack up vehicle using floor jack under I-beam, place safety standsunder frame and remove wheels & tires.

3. On vehicles with a front mounted sway bar, disconnect bottomend of sway bar lower links with 18 mm wrench and push them up out ofthe way.

4. To keep from damaging the brake lines, disconnect caliper frommounting bracket & tie caliper up out of the way.

5. Using floor jack under the I-beam, raise to remove load on shockand remove shock. Next, note how the spring is seated so you canposition the new one correctly. Lower jack to remove weight oncoil spring and disconnect the large (1 1/8") nut & washerthat hold the lower portion of the coil to the axle and remove thespring.

6. If needed, insert spring spacer shim over the lower bolt onthe low side of the vehicle (as shown in the diagram). Installthe new coil, being sure to seat it exactly as the original coil inthe top of the spring tower. Place the urethane spring seats over thetop of the lower bolt and replace the lower nut and washer, makingsure the coil is centered on the centering cup, then reattach thecaliper to the mounting bracket.

7. Repeat steps 4, 5 & 6 for other side.

8. To remove the right axle pivot bracket, located under thebattery, place floor jack under the center of the left I-beam. Raise jack until contact is made and remove the right axle pivot bolt.Lower jack carefully until the bracket & I-beam are approximately4" apart. You may have to pry to separate the I-beam and dropbracket. Unbolt the factory bracket and bolt the new drop pivotbracket into position using the original bolts. On some models, youwill have to drill a 1/2" hole through the frame rail before youcan finish bolting on the new bracket. In this case it helps to drilla 1/4" pilot hole first using the bracket as a guide. Usethe 1/2" x 1 1/2" gr 5 bolt & nut in thisposition. Re-align the I-beam with the new drop pivot bracketand reconnect with original axle pivot bolt.

9. To remove the left axle pivot bracket, located on back ofengine crossmember, reposition floor jack under the right I-beam.Unbolt left axle pivot bolt & pry the I-beam down away from thedrop bracket. Grind away the heads of the rivets holding the dropbracket to the crossmember and drive out the shanks. Bolt the new castiron drop bracket in place through the rivet holes using the black1/2" x 1 3/4" bolts. Re-align I-beam with drop bracket andreconnect it with original axle pivot bolt. A lineup pin or centerpunch may help to accomplish this.

10. Remove the radius arm bushing retaining nuts from bothsides. Loosen the bolts that tie the radius arm mounting bracketstogether at the center. Then torch or chisel off the rivets on the onthe radius arm mounting brackets, and lower them together. To install#6103 bushings, just remove the mounting brackets from the radiusarms, install front bushings, and reinstall mounting brackets. Placethe new powder coated radius arm drop brackets between the frame andthe radius arm mounting brackets. Secure in place with the 7/16"& 1/2" bolts & Nyloc nuts. Reinstall the radius armbushing retaining nuts and torque to specification.

11. Replace the shocks and reattach calipers to caliper mountingbrackets. Recheck brake lines after installation, as they may needadjusted to keep from rubbing the wheels or coils. Reconnect lowersway bar links, if necessary.

12. Reinstall wheels and tires while watching carefully theposition of the brake lines. Adjust them as necessary to clear thecoils and the wheels & tires. Remove the floor jack and checkagain. Complete the rear of the vehicle, then set toe-in.

SUSPENSION PRODUCT INFORMATION
Modifying your vehicle with JDI products to improve off roadperformance may result in the vehicle handling differently than afactory equipped vehicle. Taller tires will cause the vehicle'sspeedometer to read slow, so recalibration is required. Use ofoversize tires, suspension lifts, body lifts, and other modificationsmay raise your vehicle's center of gravity, resulting in an increasedtendency for the vehicle to pitch and roll during sudden turns orabrupt maneuvering. Failure to drive with extreme care to prevent lossof control or vehicle roll over may result in injury or death. Driveat a reduced speed to ensure your ability to maintain control of thevehicle under all driving conditions. We recommend installingfunctional roll bars and cages as well as double shocking allvehicles for more safety and stability on or off road. Always wearseat belts when in a vehicle. Consult your owners manual forrecommended tire sizes, safety instruction and warnings unique to yourvehicle. It is your responsibility to check state and local lawsrestricting vehicle height to ensure that modifications to yourvehicle are legal.

LIMITED WARRANTY
James DuffInc. warrants our products to the original purchaser to be free fromdefects in materials and workmanship. Warranty periods begin atthe date of purchase and varies by product. Shocks have alimited lifetime warranty. Headers, Radiators and SuspensionProducts have a one year warranty. Power Brake Boosters and MasterCylinders have a three year warranty. Adapters and soft goodssuch as Canvas tops, upholstery, vinyl and rubber products have a 90day warranty. All warranties are to the original purchaser withproof of purchase only. Such obligations under this warrantyshall be limited to the repair or replacement, at JDI's discretion, ofany assembly or part which upon examination by JDI proves to bedefective. Any costs of removal, installation, reinstallation orfreight charges are expressly excluded from this warranty. Thiswarranty covers only manufacturers defects, and does not cover productfinish or damage resulting from abuse, misuse, negligence, racing,alteration, accident or damage in transit.
All returns must be pre-authorized by JDEI andaccompanied with a Return Goods Authorization Number (RGA) and a datedproof of purchase. Returns must be made within 90 days ofpurchase, shipped prepaid, packaged in original cartons toprevent damage in shipment and sent to JDI, 3231 NW Park Dr.,Knoxville, TN 37921 Returns without an RGA# will be refused.
Thiswarranty is expressly in lieu of all other warranties, expressed orimplied, including the implied warranties of merchantability andfitness for use. This warranty gives you specific legal rightsincluding other rights that vary from state to state. Somestates do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts,or do not allow the exclusion of limitation of incidental orconsequential damages, so the above limitations and/or exclusions maynot apply to you.
So from what I see here it looks like you will need:

Qty 1 - 1/2" x 1 1/2" gr 5 bolt and nut
Qty 4 - 1/2" x 1 3/4" gr 8.8 bolts and nuts
Qty 8 - 7/16" x 1/2" bolts and Nyloc nuts (I think these should be grade 5 to ensure they snap in a collision according to the hanes manual)

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Also FYI - Pivot arm bolts are 9/16" x 3.5" grade 8.

I'm halfway through my duff lift install, and the instructions have you replace the pivot arm drop brackets first, then the radius arm drop brackets. But I must say I think the radius arm drop brackets should be installed before the pivot arm drop brackets. Seems like it would have made it so much easier to get the arms flexing around better while you're in there.

It would even probably make the spring installation easier to do the radius arm brackets first too because you could get those arms to flex down further and easier..... I had to remove the bolts off the back of the radius arms to get them to flex enough to get those new springs installed as I follow the instructions and leave the radius arm brackets for last....

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok and step 8 isn't going to happen, not with new pivot arm bushings at least. I had to leave the drop bracket completely unbolted and out of position while I had to really work that pivot arm into the pivot arm drop bracket. With the angles the way they are and the bulk of a new bushing, theres no way that's happening with the drop bracket bolted in place. I first hammered away to get the drop bracket onto the pivot arm and over the new bushing and slid the pivot arm bolt into place to hold it. At this point the drop bracket will be tilted about 30degrees forward. Now you can use a crow bar to help twist that drop bracket vertical and slide it up into position, and bolt it in.

Also step 8 is referring to the pivot drop bracket on the passenger side of the vehicle, not under the battery. At least on my 94 the battery is on the drivers side of the vehicle so the instructions are misleading.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Found this on explorer-forums:

Notice it has a more complete materials list on it, including details for all the hardware

Qty 4 1/2" x 1-1/2" bolts, plated, course thread
Qty 4 Nyloc nuts, 1/2" course thread
Qty 8 7/16" x 1" bolts, fine thread
Qty 8 Nyloc nuts, 1/2" fine thread
Qty 4 1/2" x 1-3/4" bolts, gr 8, course thread
Qty 1 1/2" x 1-1/2" bolt, plated, course thread
Qty 5 Nyloc nuts, 1/2" course thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals