• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dually wheel adapters

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking to go dually on my ranger. I know that Jc Whitney no longer makes the wheel adapters for this conversion. Are there any other companies making adapters for a dually 5x4.5"? BTW, this is for appearance purposes. I am not looking for an argument on if a 1/4 ton truck should be a dually, just looking for the adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
interesting..

are you planning on leaving the inside rear wheels in the same position, or getting a wheel with offset to push them in towards the frame?

I can visualize where it could be easily done with dually style wheels, which have a massive offset. that would need longer axle shafts to go out into the deep offset wheels.

the big issue with using stock wheels would be the conical seats for the nuts. they all aren't exactly the same depth from the drum surface, so an adapter may not fit flush.

maybe a trip to the pick 'n pull for some Escape hubs would enable you to make a prototype adapter.

get some longer studs in the axle, mount the inner wheel as usual, there needs to be enough stud sticking thru the nuts to bolt stuff on.

set the Escape front hub on the studs backwards, bearing surface pointing out. shim and trim as needed. set another hub on that, bearing surfaces touching. run a BIG bolt/threaded rod thru the center to hold them together. shim/adjust as needed to bolt the outer wheel on.

that should be good for a couple laps around the parking lot, any more and you didn't here this from me!! :D

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DM:

I've been thinking about this for few weeks now...

My solution is:

Get an F-150 rear end for '97-04, pull the axles and have machine shop redo the studs for 5x4.5" pattern (you will want to get the rotors done at same time). Adjust spring /shock/sway bar mounts from F-150 to Ranger positions while axles are getting drilled. The '97-04 F-150 differential is more/less the same width increase over the Ranger stock axle as the F-350 dually differential is compared to the single axle.

While you are at machine shop; have them make 4 adapters* to go from 5x4.5" pattern to 8x6.5". (For your solution, they can be Al 6061-T6).

You will also want a couple 3" - 8x6.5" pattern spacers for the front (probably best to purchase on net, machine shop probably can't match price for a one off). Normally, I wouldn't recommend stacked spacers, but in this case you are going to a larger bolt pattern and you will be using a rim with huge offset (load will be back to stock location more/less).

With the above setup, you can use stock Ford/Dodge 16x6J dually rims for all 6. Just instead of the 215/85R16s on an F-350; 215/60R16s (matches the stock 235/75R15s on my '98 4x2; ). For stock dually rims, you are limited 215**, maybe 225, otherwise you don't have enough space between rims for the tires to compress/squirm without contacting each other. For 4x4 tire choices are scarce - all the choice are E rated, and ride would be a little stiff.

*You don't haveto do anything with the fronts, my solution is designed to have all 6 rims the same, so you only need one spare. You could probably get away with just a spare for the front - the odds of 3 tires on back failing at same time are remote (If 2 on one size fail; you take one off the other and install it, and start looking for a tire store fast :) )

**Again you can put a spacer between the rear rims along with longer studs to use wider tires for which there is more selection, but stacking spacers on rear is risky - when you bounce up on the curb, all weight of truck is momentarily on the outside tire. Another alternative is if you can find 15" rims with the same diameter section as the 16s, you could cut the centers out of the 15s and install the 16" centers which would allow much greater selection.

My sandwich maker would probably be happier if I did this rather than continuing my pursuit of a tandem. I think the above solution is both possible and safe (not the cheapest though).

Let me know what you think.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals