• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual gas tanks in a Ranger ????

bigfattruckerll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
sorry it has two 15 gal tanks

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
I have them in my 84 4x4v6, their great, gives almost 525 mile range on the hiway. lots of fun when 1 runs dry at 65 mph, if you dont switch them fast enough you end up on the side of the road grinding on it till the gas gets there!

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
That rgw Ranger Aux tank can be adapted to any Ranger, but before you even think about doing it you first need to understand several things.

An unrusted Ranger Aux tank is the closest thing to a "living fossil"
as you can get when discussing RBV parts.

Finding a useable pickup-sender unit is like finding a large sack of kugerrands
in the trunk of a rusted ford Maverick

And even if you have a good sender unit the sender won't work
with the later instrument panel guage AND the early tank unit
uses only a LOW PRESSURE pump.

It should be noted that you cannot buy either of these parts new.

Lastly not many people wand to decrease the fuel capacity of their truck.

OR use a smaller tank than will fit.

AD
It took a couple of months but I was able to find one just by posting a wanted ad here. Remember you even sold me the crossmember lol. The tank I got is perfect inside too.

As for the fuel door, I took the opportunity to go a little custom on mine rather than just using the old square door..

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '86 was dual tank from the factory. The front tank can't be used anymore because there is suspension there.
I searched endlessly for a rustfree tank to no avail. I did look on Car part as well. I patched my tank with JB weld and it has been holding for two years now. I'm debating a rear bob which would leave me no room for the rear tank. I'll use a fuel cell in the box instead. I can't use the box due to cage anyway.

Jfcriggs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I didnt see any other place to post this so I'm posting it here.

In looking thru the body parts section at LMC Trucks I noticed up to 88 you can buy a bedside panel that has Dual fuel openings in it. I was very suprised by this as I have never seen a dual tank option on a Ranger, Any Ranger.

Has anybody ever seen dual tanks on a Ranger. What years were they avaible and could one be retro-fitted on a 89. Wonder were you would even find parts for that. So whats the story of dual fuel tanks on a Ranger as I would sure like to know. Thanks...

LV
I have a 1988 xlt ford ranger with a long bed and I was stoked to see it also had dual gas tanks.

Jfcriggs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have just purchased a 1988 ford ranger long bed with dual gas tanks. The owner said he’s never used the rear. To find out if it works is it safe to just throw some gas in and see if she cruises?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have just purchased a 1988 ford ranger long bed with dual gas tanks. The owner said he’s never used the rear. To find out if it works is it safe to just throw some gas in and see if she cruises?
ummm.... no.

you are asking for a breakdown, heartache and creeping underwear if you do...

how long has the PO owned the truck? if it has been more than a few months, chances are there are some nasty's that probably need to be cleaned out. best case scenario, you will clog your fuel filter, worst case, you will gum up your injectors and it will leave you stranded. clean out the tank, make sure it does not leak... there is likely a reason it has not been used... unhook the gas line from it and run the fuel out of it via its own pump and make sure it flows freely and is clean. probably would not hurt to replace the fuel line to that tank. make sure that the filler neck is good. hook it back up again, and disconnect just before the fuel filter and run some more gas out of it...if it is good hook it back up.

Hopefully it won't leak and the fuel pump is good. I don't think it is easy to get parts for the rear tank on these trucks...

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
welcome to TRS :)

AJ

Jfcriggs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ummm.... no.

you are asking for a breakdown, heartache and creeping underwear if you do...

how long has the PO owned the truck? if it has been more than a few months, chances are there are some nasty's that probably need to be cleaned out. best case scenario, you will clog your fuel filter, worst case, you will gum up your injectors and it will leave you stranded. clean out the tank, make sure it does not leak... there is likely a reason it has not been used... unhook the gas line from it and run the fuel out of it via its own pump and make sure it flows freely and is clean. probably would not hurt to replace the fuel line to that tank. make sure that the filler neck is good. hook it back up again, and disconnect just before the fuel filter and run some more gas out of it...if it is good hook it back up.

Hopefully it won't leak and the fuel pump is good. I don't think it is easy to get parts for the rear tank on these trucks...

AJ
Heard that!!!
Thanks for the quick input AJ
good info!

Mustang Collector

Firefighter
Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4 XLT
Transmission
Manual
I didnt see any other place to post this so I'm posting it here.

In looking thru the body parts section at LMC Trucks I noticed up to 88 you can buy a bedside panel that has Dual fuel openings in it. I was very suprised by this as I have never seen a dual tank option on a Ranger, Any Ranger.

Has anybody ever seen dual tanks on a Ranger. What years were they avaible and could one be retro-fitted on a 89. Wonder were you would even find parts for that. So whats the story of dual fuel tanks on a Ranger as I would sure like to know. Thanks...

LV
I have that setup in my Truck. You need the tank , the cross member, the fuel lines, the tank selection cross over valve system and the switch in the dash. The only way I see it, is to find one in the wrecking yard and get all of those parts.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I bet a few of those parts could probably be sourced from an f150.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A tank without gas in it rusts from the condensation in the tank. It is best to remove the tank, clean it, coat it on the inside with something, and then use it. Plan on replacing all the fuel lines and the vent tube rubber while you have it. Make sure the ground wire for the gauge is good. If you do not have a one way vent on your tank vent and go off road a lot, a one way valve from SpiderTrax would not hurt. Be careful removing the filler hose and do not try to just yank it off.

If it was me, I would disconnect at the filter, and run the pump directly into a glass container to flush the tank and lines before I hooked it to the engine.

If you take a white crew sock, cut the foot part off, and put it inside a funnel, and wrap the edges around the outside of the funnel, you can filter your fresh gas without throwing it away and can run it through the tank/pump again, that is what I do. I just empty the filtered gas into a 2 or 5 gallon jug and pour it into the gas tank with a (plastic) funnel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals