• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual gas tank ranger?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A fuel cell might be the ticket then to mount back there

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Someone had a thread on here about installing a Bronco tank. It was a while back, so you might have to do some digging to find it. It might be in the tech section as well, maybe.

I do agree that the plastic tanks might be worth a look. A lot of dual tank second fuel tanks have rusted to a point that they pretty much all have sprung a leak.

Another option, speaking of the fuel cell idea, is to look at a recent thread that a Ranger owner installed a water tank for overlanding where the spare used to be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Someone had a thread on here about installing a Bronco tank. It was a while back, so you might have to do some digging to find it. It might be in the tech section as well, maybe.

Another option, speaking of the fuel cell idea, is to look at a recent thread that a Ranger owner installed a water tank for overlanding where the spare used to be.
Post 89

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Worked at a shop in the early 70's at the seashore. We repaired the ocassional rusty,leaking fuel tank. It can be done safely if you do things to keep an explosive atmosphere from being created inside the tank.

Necessary items for the job:
Copper sheet.
Soldering flux.
Shop vacuum and/or shop size air compressor. Vacuum must have an exhaust port for the hose.
Grinder. (Sander might work for surface prep)
Hammers. Body working hammers, but at least a ball pien.
Punch
Torch heated Soldering Iron. You do NOT want to be using a flame directly on the fuel tank. The original (vintage) method of soldering was to heat a hunk of metal (iron or copper) that would then hold enough heat to get your parts hot and melt the required solder. It's possible that there are electrically heated units capable of doing this job, but I would expect them to be commercial tools and very expensive! Anyway, you will have to hunt around to find this Iron, and will need a torch of some sort, like a plumbers torch, to heat the iron.
A roll of solder. Don't bother with the new non-lead versions, they don't work well.
Major rot may require tools to cut back to good metal. Don't leave rusty metal inside the tank, as rust particles will pass through most fuel filters and clog pumps, carb jets/passages and injectors. If your fuel system has an ongoing rust problem the only way to stop the rust from getting to the engine is a marine debris filter. This is a fuel filter that is basically a small deep tank that catches the rust by allowing it to settle out.

1) Remove the tank. Don't try this while it is mounted, as controlling the air inside it, and getting a good seal, is problematic.

2) Drain the tank, and then wash the inside and outside with a strong degreaser. You want to remove as much of the fuel from the pores of the metal as possible, and having a clean working surface on the outside makes a good seal easier.

3) BTW, it's possible that you won't find a pinhole leak using water, as gasoline will flow through smaller gaps. Using the punch, tap around the leak(s) to determine the extent of the bad metal. Using the fuel filler and pump/level sensor ports you may be able to see the area that needs work. You need to find the edges of good/bad metal to determine the size of the patch you will make.
4) Mark the area that will be covered, and clean it using solvents, and wire brushes, as needed to get solder to stick.
5) Cut a section of the copper sheet. The patch should be bigger than the damage, don't try to have the copper just meet the edge of a hole. You are making a patch, not a plug! You will be wicking the solder under the patch, not trying to "weld" the edge of the patch down. Think plumbing assembly, not welding/brazing.

6) You probably will have to form the patch to the tank shape. That's what the hammers are for. You may need to use some heat to shape the patch. Don't use a torch on it while it is near the tank. For some shaping you may have to solder part of it down, and then hammer the rest of it to fit. If you need to remove the patch for additional shaping, this can be done if only one section is soldered. If a lot of the edge is soldered, you probably won't have enough heat to flow all the solder to remove it unless you resort to peeling it up. That will entail starting from scratch, again. You can lay a second patch over part of the first one, if your patching needs to be extensive due to size or shape. Try to keep the solder thickness thin to get good flow and to avoid gaps. Remember that attaching another patch to an earlier one may flow some of the original solder, so watch for that, and make sure you don't leave a solder gap. Use the flux to prep the cleaned surfaces to ensure the solder sticks and flows.

While working on the tank, have the vacuum or air line blowing air into the tank. The sending unit must be removed so you get good airflow through the tank. DO NOT USE THE VACUUM ON SUCTION!!! It must BLOW air INTO the tank.

Try to position the tank so your patch will sit fairly level so the solder will not tend to run away from the parts. Thinner gaps helps to control this. Don't coat the repaired area with anything until you have confirmed it is leak free with the appropriate fuel.

Roadings

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
3a. Has anyone had success patching a gas tank? The tank has 2 screwdriver size holes it because they drain all tanks at the Junkyards.
Yes the tank can be welded or better yet brazed, but it must be purged to do so. Wash the tank out with soap and water, let it dry in the sun, purge with argon or nitrogen and braze a patch.

When you heat the metal it will begin to seep fuel vapors out of the metal.

Some people weld them full of water. Either way it MUST BE MADE INERT somehow or you become the early 4th of July display.

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
What do the stock duel gas tanks hold on a 1988 ranger? Just got one and they were both full when I purchased. Have not ran it enough to fuel up yet.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
What do the stock duel gas tanks hold on a 1988 ranger? Just got one and they were both full when I purchased. Have not ran it enough to fuel up yet.
I know this is a couple years old, but I just found it. I would love to see pictures of your Ranger if you still have it?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
so i saw one two years ago at an auto shop i worked at back then the guy said it was a 1988 the spare was in the bed and it had two gas tanks with a switch in the cab to switch between the two tanks but i havent see one since does anyone know about this truck?
It was a factory option for the Rangers, as well as the F-Series trucks back then. I had an 84 Ranger with dual tanks, I miss that option in today's vehicles.

rosscob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My '88 XLT Extended cab has dual tanks but it seems like the fuel gauge only works on the front tank. It that the way its supposed to work? If anybody has a parts truck I need the little knob on the end of the fuel tank lever.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My '88 XLT Extended cab has dual tanks but it seems like the fuel gauge only works on the front tank. It that the way its supposed to work? If anybody has a parts truck I need the little knob on the end of the fuel tank lever.
No, it should read both. I don't remember how it's wired tho.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
On my 88 F150, the fuel gauge switched tanks when you switched the valve, if I recall correctly. That was for the first 160,000miles. After that, the rear sender didn’t work any more.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
I had an idea to find somebody who's bed is rusted out or damaged and they're going to be replacing it, then I would ask them if I could cut out the section of the fuel door is. And then grafted into my 93 ranger. The bed floors of all Rangers still has a stamping with the relief for the rear fuel tank filler neck. I would also have to put in a fuel cell where the spare tire is but I would be able to use Universal aftermarket parts which means I won't have to worry about finding replacement parts for things like sending unit or fuel pump.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
That's what I did on my Nissan bed and put a Pathfinder filler neck on it with the truck filler neck... Sorry, photobucket likes to ruin images.

1703097815076.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals