• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual exhaust questions for the 97 4.0

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I currently have the stock exhaust on my 1997 ranger 4.0 supercab. I have several questions if others don't mind answering them. If I get aftermarket cats, would I need 2 or would 1 be able to work and still pass inspection? If I want dual exhaust would i be able to run it off both sides or just 1? Just asking because the gas tank is on the driver side and I wasn't sure if I could with it there. Lastly, for sound and efficiency purposes, would it be better to split the exhaust pre or post muffler? Obviously pre would have 2 mufflers vs. 1. Just curious. I plan on getting flowmaster super 10 series. With a high flow cat of some sort. Also know I will be using new and better headers for this setup. Wasn't sure if it made a difference.

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Curb? What curb, I felt a speedbump
All I know so far is that headers do make a difference especially if you are using a high flow muffler like the super ten, send me a sound clip when you get it all installed cause I wanna hear how it sounds, I have a 2003 4.0l super cab as well

posted using smoke signals

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I def will. I'm probably going to get performance headers and just go all the way back. I want to go dual but idk if I can do it the way I want to. I have a link for a video with another ranger with them on. It is the reason I'm getting them lol. Here's the link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eMRwxkVUGw

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone out there with a dual exhaust setup that could give me an idea at what I can do?

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't done it myself, but one possible scenario I envisioned would be one aftermarket cat per cylinder bank, two separate pipes out of the cats, then connect both to one muffler with dual inlet/dual outlets, and of course two tailpipes out the back/side from there.

Might be easier to package under a ranger than try to cram two mufflers under the truck.

Just a thought balloon really, I've never attempted it.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reaper:

I used the Explorer 5.0 exhaust in my Ranger V-8 conversions: Dual Cats, twin pipes to a Single muffler.

Seemed to be upgrade over the "Y" pipe, single cat, single pipe/muffler from the stock 3.0.

You might want to look at something similar.

Passing inspection: Does it need to look like stock? Or just meet emissions?

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, and no it doesn't need to look stock, and emissions shouldn't be too hard for my obdII truck:p I think I've decided I'm going to go single pipe and then have a 1inlet dual outlet muffler and go from there. Where I will end up putting the tips is still a toss up though

cody.conner12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dual pipes after the muffler,like you said, it would be hard to run true dual with the gas tank being on the drivers side, mine crosses over right after the rear diff. And as far as tips go, I'd go with the traditional pipes coming out under the bumper

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals