• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dual coil pack mod

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hey 94, keep your comments to yourself. You don't like it, don't read it. But I don't need your approval for anything. There is enough correct info here for someone to make a learned decision. When someone says something that makes it obvious they are not reading the info, I'm going to say something about it. I won't preach my credentials, you can look them up. And while you are, look up how a wasted spark works so you don't have to come back here and not know what you are talking about. Then you can make an education decision based on your own knowledge. That is what I'm about knowledge. I spent 30 years in the "knowledge" profession teaching these every things. Makes me laugh when I see people want to argue rather than learn . . jeeesh

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I never said it would or wouldn't work. I said it wouldn't break anything. Pete's post has merit.

IIRC the entire dual plug system is only there to clean up tailpipe emissions and isn't even functioning half the time.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hey 94, keep your comments to yourself. You don't like it, don;'t read it. But I don't need your approval for anything. There is enough correct info here for someone to make a learned decision. When someone says something that makes it obvious they are not reading the info, I'm going to say something about it. I won't preach my credentials, you can look them up. And while you are, look up how a wasted spark works so you don't have to come back here and not know what you are talking about. Then you can make an education decision based on your own knowledge. That is what I'm about knowledge. I spent 30 years in the "knowledge" profession teaching these very things. Makes me laugh when I see people want to argue rather than learn . . jeeesh

Jim, yes dual spark plugs is to clean up emissions, but by making a more efficient burn. The 2.3 has always had a problem with flame travel, the dual spark was a band-aid meassure to help with that.

Last edited:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Guys,just do a simple search on google and read it yourselfs.People have done this in every kind of motor since the model A flat head and have seen improvements.If you are firing all 8 plugs on the correct stroke you promote better flame travel and combustion.I have a call in to Grassroots to do this dyno test again or at least reprint the article on their site.Until then,look at some of the other results of dual plug heads.I,m done

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Guys,just do a simple search on google and read it yourselfs.People have done this in every kind of motor since the model A flat head and have seen improvements.If you are firing all 8 plugs on the correct stroke you promote better flame travel and combustion.I have a call in to Grassroots to do this dyno test again or at least reprint the article on their site.Until then,look at some of the other results of dual plug heads.I,m done
I take it you either didnt read my post, or dont understand it. This system already fires BOTH plugs in each cylinder on BOTH compression AND exhaust strokes.... Its a side effect of the "wasted" spark / dual coil system.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Absolutely laughable . . . not another word for it than ignorance . How many times must you be told or taught . . all 8 plugs are firing on the same stroke. Twin plug cylinders and wasted spark are NOT related. OMG. :icon_rofl: I'm sorry . . you need to learn before you come on here so "sure" of yourself, it is a bit embarrassing.

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
I have seen this mod done before... Didnt like how it made the truck drive and sound... wouldnt recommend it...

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Take it from somebody who tried it - It doesn't do jack shit.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
4B, i really dont wish to offend you here, but you couldnt be more wrong.

Like has been stated, it changes NOTHING! all 4 cylinders have 2 plugs firing per engine rotation, 2 on compression, and the same 2 on the exhaust.

And what the hell does a model A flat head 4 cyl have to do with this conversation??? First off that engine used 1 plug per cyl, and points ignition, one coil, and a distributor. It is an entirely different animal, not to mention horribly inefficient.. thats like comparing apples to birds, absolutely no relation.

And your saying that having the fire on the right stroke, it is literally impossible to make it fire any more correctly than it does.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Clears up my confusion.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I Just hope you took away the correct information from this diluted thread :)

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
So what I think I know is that every plug fires when it's cylinder is at top dead center. If the cylinder is in exhaust, the discharge is a waste spark (low potential). If the cylinder is in compression, the discharge is a power spark (high potential). Each coil is connected between plugs for cylinders that reach top dead center at the same time, that is, between 1 & 4 and 2 & 3.

Connecting a coil between both plugs for a cylinder would require twice the potential from the coil, as both plugs would have to fire into compression at the same time. Also, both plugs would fire into the same exhaust stroke, which might damage the coil since the resistance would be low due to both being low potential. This might overheat the coil because of high current flow.

The plugs connected to each coil spark at the same time. One of the plugs has a positive discharge, ground strap to center electrode. (This is electron flow, not current flow.) The other plug has a negative discharge, center electrode to ground strap. I don't know whether the high tension wires are connected so that each cylinder has a positive spark and negative spark or whether that would make a difference.

Thanks for the education, guys. Is there anything I've missed?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Eureka . . . . we have knowledge ~!!~!! :yahoo:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
This is a great absorption of knowledge. Lol. Also the one set of coils fires at 10* different from the other, so you would make different power across two cyl than the other if you do the "swap". This can cause engine vibration under loads that aren't normal.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
That's good to know! Didn't figure on that one. Probably would have seen it when I got it on the scope but I don't know if I'd have understood it right away.

So I reckon I should have said the plugs fire NEAR top dead center, allowing for any advance or retard calculated by the computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals