• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual boot, XP and Ubuntu, do I have to format my HD?

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On thing you need to remember with Dual Boot XP and Linux, and that is if you want to remove the Linux OS it is going to be difficult. It can be done but you'll have lots of steps to go through doing it.

The Newest Distribution of Ubuntu does let you install Ubuntu within Windows. In theory that should let you remove it from within windows, like any other program. I found that not to be true running the 64bit version.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On thing you need to remember with Dual Boot XP and Linux, and that is if you want to remove the Linux OS it is going to be difficult. It can be done but you'll have lots of steps to go through doing it.

The Newest Distribution of Ubuntu does let you install Ubuntu within Windows. In theory that should let you remove it from within windows, like any other program. I found that not to be true running the 64bit version.
Would installing it within Windows cause it to run slower?

I was under the impression that if a computer is slow (because of a bunch of crap installed on it over the years), Ubuntu would run fast regardless because it has nothing to do with Windows (just hindered by old hardware).

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Linux has a learning curve; many don't want to invest the time to learn it. Then they decide to uninstall the OS; they muck it up and destroy their Windows OS in the process. So, Ubuntu attempted to do a wise thing by making install and uninstall easier.

If you really want Windows to fly... try installing a new Linux OS and VMWare. Then, install a virtual copy of the Windows OS. And, if you do it right, you can have the Windows OS die, and restore it and have it up and running in a matter of minutes. VMWare and Linux OS as a backbone are awesome. It's just that pesky learning curve.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest going back to the mid '90s and installing Slackware 3.5. After you've sufficiently confused yourself, go and install the latest version of Ubuntu. Linux on the desktop has come a looooooooooong way. :icon_thumby:

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
Not to be an ass, but if you have to ask how to install Linux, then you probably shouldn't be trying to install it yourself. I'm not dissing your skills, but it's just really easy to screw up a Linux install.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Backing up pictures sucks.....

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The ol' 3 AM Ubuntu install is done, everything seems to be working fine.

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually if you install it on a separate partition I have just used the Windows XP repair console to restore the windows MBR, it erases Grub and then you can delete the partition.

Normally I just blow my windows partition away and clean install Linux, I constantly have back ups of all my data so I don't really worry about losing things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals