• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dropping the Valence and Trimming the bumper.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys,

I was scanning through that large bumper thread and searching through the rest of this forum but, I couldn't seem to find anything anywhere on this one. I'm looking to just drop off my valence and keep the upper, paint matched, part of my bumper. I want to just cut it such as so in this photo ( the blue guy with the red dotted line across the bumper).

I'm just looking for examples of what this might look like, so far through my searches I've only managed to find a couple other example that I'm going to post. I'm just trying to really get a good look at this one before I go and totally ruin the look of my truck.

Also, plan as far as those fog lights go, I was thinking of just getting a small LED bar and sticking it in the bottom of the front grill there, using the wiring from my fogs to give it power.

Aaaaand if you're wondering why I'm looking to do this... this truck is going off road and that valence is almost certainly going to get demo'd. I'm just looking to ball out on a budget.

Edit: Just want to add, there also is a factory skid plate on this vehicle, so it should cover the radiator. I've seen some example with the radiator just flat out exposed and that's defintely a no-go for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The second picture is a 4th Gen... I believe they had an actual steel chrome bumper and a valance. The third picture is a 5th Gen bumper like your truck that has the bumper cover over the bumper and it's totally removed.

I'm not sure if the 4th Gen bumper will swap to a 5th Gen...

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The second picture is a 4th Gen... I believe they had an actual steel chrome bumper and a valance. The third picture is a 5th Gen bumper like your truck that has the bumper cover over the bumper and it's totally removed.

I'm not sure if the 4th Gen bumper will swap to a 5th Gen...
Oh I did not realize that my paint matched part of the bumper was only a cover. I guess I'll end up with those holes like what this fella above has. Was hoping to try to avoid that.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Nope... it is what it is.

I'd be curious to see this skid plate you have... My sport didn't have one.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nope... it is what it is.

I'd be curious to see this skid plate you have... My sport didn't have one.
I'll snap a photo for you later on. It's nothing amazing, but it's something. I know it's missing a bolt too somewhere.. my truck has it's hiccups but I love it anywhoo.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Actually... I think the third picture is a 4th Gen too... but it has all the plastic taken off.

I know the 5th Gen like mine and yours is all bumper cover... over a much uglier steel bumper.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually... I think the third picture is a 4th Gen too... but it has all the plastic taken off.

I know the 5th Gen like mine and yours is all bumper cover... over a much uglier steel bumper.
I think you're right. It's probably pretty ugly. I had a small peak behind it, only by looking on the underside of my truck and through my valence.

Here's the skid plate. One big problem with it though, doesn't fully come up all the way to protect my radiator, so if I do choose to remove the valence, it'll be open on the top side. I'd like to keep it hidden.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thanks for sharing that... my 06 didn't have that. Kinda looks like more of a deflector (plastic) then a skid plate too. Anything is better then nothing though.

Even the AOR bumper left the bottom of the radiator exposed... and that was really the only shortfall I seen with their bumper. I had planned on making a skid plate after I installed my AOR bumper. Then someone on here... said they now offered a skid plate... it was a no brainer and I just bought their skid plate too.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for sharing that... my 06 didn't have that. Kinda looks like more of a deflector (plastic) then a skid plate too. Anything is better then nothing though.

Even the AOR bumper left the bottom of the radiator exposed... and that was really the only shortfall I seen with their bumper. I had planned on making a skid plate after I installed my AOR bumper. Then someone on here... said they now offered a skid plate... it was a no brainer and I just bought their skid plate too.

View attachment 55446
I love that truck you have. I'm not a huge fan of canopies but that one is great and that bumper you have is tough without being overly bulky.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals