• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dropping the drive shaft

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

I got a 91 Ranger Supercab that the Drive Shaft Center Bearing gave out on.

I got the part between the center bearing and rear off.

Can I just unscrew the nut on the drive shaft and slip the bearing off? Or do I need to drop the driveshaft between the transmission and center bearing?

If it's the latter, how do I slip it out of the transmission?

20210907_101854.jpg20210907_100610.jpg

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you @RonD. Unfortunately I dont have the money for the straight piece even though I would love to convert.

I would assume that even the single piece would still need the center bearing correct?

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Based on that article. It didnt say I had to drop the shaft from the transmission, unless it was worded in a way I could understand it.

This is a part I'm ignorant on, would i be able to loosen a bolt at that torque? Or would I need an air gun?

My concern with using an air gun is that if I leave the drive shaft in the transmission that it will spin.

But at the same time I dont know how to slip the driveshaft out of the transmission

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unbolt the carrier bearing from cross member and the short part of drive line will just slide out of the rear of the 2WD transmission, but have a pan under it as it may/will leak some ATF out, not alot, but some
You can change that rear seal in trans, its not an expensive part

But....if you don't have a vise it might be easier to loosen that nut as is with trans in Park or in 1st gear

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
@RonD

You can change that rear seal in trans, its not an expensive part
Do you mean the seal that is in the transmission that the driveshaft connects to?
If so, that thing is liked welded in, I can't get the sucker out. Is there a trick to get that seal out?

I got the bolt of the driveshaft too, but the wide piece that connects to the 2nd part isn't coming off. I've tried a hammer, twisting it and whatever else I can think of.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: replacing rear seal on transmission

Lots of videos
Yes, getting the old one out can take alot of prying, have to hold your tongue just right :)

Not sure what you are referring to on the other part
If you are trying to take the u-joint yolk off the shaft, put the nut back on so it is flush with end of shaft and hit it with a hammer

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Google: replacing rear seal on transmission

Lots of videos
Yes, getting the old one out can take alot of prying, have to hold your tongue just right :)

Not sure what you are referring to on the other part
If you are trying to take the u-joint yolk off the shaft, put the nut back on so it is flush with end of shaft and hit it with a hammer

Yea the yolk, I was watching a couple YouTube videos and one guy tooka claw around the yolk and pulled it.

Since I dont have a claw. I'll try your method

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You use the claw/seal puller to remove the seal AFTER the driveshaft is pulled out of the transmission.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My method was removing yolk from shaft, nothing to do with rear seal, just to be clear

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
When I did mine I used a 2 jaw puller to pop off the yolk and the bearing. I suppose a 3 jaw would work also.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you @RonD. Unfortunately I dont have the money for the straight piece even though I would love to convert.

I would assume that even the single piece would still need the center bearing correct?
You don't have $40 for the 1 piece driveshaft from Bama Parts there in Hazel Green?

And if you go with 1 piece shaft, you can ditch the center bearing and one u-joint.

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
You don't have $40 for the 1 piece driveshaft from Bama Parts there in Hazel Green?

And if you go with 1 piece shaft, you can ditch the center bearing and one u-joint.
Not right now, I get paid next week.. I work from home too so my truck is just for errands.
Monthly bills take my whole paycheck at the beginning of the month.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wasn't trying to be mean; just to point out they aren't arm & leg expensive, and are readily available.

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Wasn't trying to be mean; just to point out they aren't arm & leg expensive, and are readily available.
oh I understand, and thank you! I didn't take that in a harsh way. My brother loaned me the money to get it, so I'm giving them a call in a few minutes to see if they have one in stock.
Based on the research I've done with my 91 ford ranger, I don't think they've made a 1 piece for that year, I think the 1 piece started in 98? So would I need to ask for a 1 piece for 91? or 98 year?

If they do have it and I get it, would I just pop it in like the current one? or would I need to align the driveshaft a specific way? I have multiple markers on the current 2 piece driveshaft to ensure it goes in correct.
So if the 1 piece has to go in at a certain position so it turns properly, I want to make sure I do it right.

and I apologize for the questions, I'm ignorant when it comes to working on trucks but with me having ADHD, it's either me learn to fix by breaking it myself, or it breaking on it's own.
I'm trying to learn though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals