• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Dropped Head Alignment Pin in Oil Return. Help?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I almost posted something similar to what Walt said about it clogging the drain hole... but if there's three others and it stays where it's at... probably not the worst thing in the world. Would bother me a lot more knowing that it's in the pan. If you can somehow ever find out of it's actually in the pan, you might be able to use a super strong magnet to move it sideways from the outside towards the drain hole and retrieve it.

Timing being a tooth off is very easy to do like Tom said. I did that on mine after replacing the front main seal. Ran pretty good but had a severe lack of power... figured it was normal since 2.3's are naturally just that way, discovered that I did that while fixing something else many miles later and was pleasantly surprised to find out how well it should have been running.

Manual_Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 2 Door 2.3
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Drive it forever if you can.
They are actually good running vehicles. I have owned this one since new. Until this recent issue the truck has not left me stranded ever in 27 years. If the part does end up in the pan, based on the pan shape the thing should roll to the bottom half and near if not out of the hole with a change.

Either way due to the engine being opened I will only run the new oil a couple days when on the road. I figure that best to rinse out any wash off from the new head. At change I will snake camera in the pan and try to see if in there if it don't wash out with the used oil.

Manual_Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 2 Door 2.3
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well everything is fine. Few hundred miles Highway and City. Sounds nice runs nice, no smoke, no water drips. Time to get the ac evacuation and recharge.

Thanks for all the input.

Manual_Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 2 Door 2.3
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well all I am back.
I promised to report back after driving.
First the alignment pin was never found. Either the hole goes ex nowhere or is part of the evap system venting back to the pvc system.

The rough no idle was more than just the timing. The situation was resolved after putting a smoke machine on the vehicle. Had two vacuum leaks. One at an egr bolt but the main leak was the darn PVC valve. Because the valve pushes up into the hose, the new valve would shake loose from the hose. A small clamp and quarter turn on the egr bolt and it runs smooth.

Going down the road a couple little hiccups at specific RPMs nothing big. As posted in another thread. Replaced both coil packs.

The darn thing runs like new. Actually better than new. With a blueprinted head and new coil packs and more including all vac lines I am more than happy.

More acceleration than when bought new and now I guess due to blueprinted head I get an additional 7 to 10 MPH top end than when new.

4k miles into running finished job and not a drop of lost oil. Could not be happier. Maybe some day I will find the alignment pin. But I could not have replaced the vehicle with one nearly as nice for the money spent to make this better than new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals