• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

drop fuel tank or remove bed?

cnord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1996 Ranger 4x4 4L manual, short box. I need to gain access to the fuel tank wiring harness to test the sender (my fuel gauge is stuck on full). Once, I have access I suspect I'll replace the sender and fuel pump. My question is: Is it easier to slide back the bed or jackstand the truck and drop the fuel tank?

Best wishes,

Chris

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think it's a thousand times easier to drop the tank.

It also depends on how much rust your truck has, if you live in the rust belt, expect to break off most or all of the bolts that hold the bed on. Then removing it completely to cut off the nut clips and broken bolts. No fun. Some will disagree but I think it's way easier to remove a skid plate and two straps.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I hate dropping fuel tanks. 8 bed bolts, the filler neck and tail light wires. Slide the bed back 1 to 2 feet and its right there (mine is a short bed also). When I build my flatbed for mine, I will make a door just for the purpose of getting to the fuel pump.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I vote for lifting the bed. But mine was relatively easy. I have a "southern all it's life" truck. The bed bolts were rusty, but by pushing the breaker bar with my foot, I could get them free. I also hosed them down with penetrating oil from the top and whatever I could get to underneath. Make sure you have a good quality socket. Mine is a '93 splash with only 6 bed bolts.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I vote for lifting the bed, you don't have to crawl under the truck. Also it usually takes less time to pull the bed then to alone get the tank back in( this is from my point of view)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just dropped the tank on mine a month or two ago because it was leaking.

One nut and one bolt hold the fuel tank on. The nut came right off. The bolt wanted to twist the tank strap and wouldn't go... he got hacksawed off which was easy because I have a bodylift.

Getting the bed bolts broke loose 10 years ago for said bodylift wasn't much fun though...

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
pull the bed and let gravity work for you during reassembly..

also use antiseize when putting bed back on

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
On mine I'd drop the tank, as I have a topper which would have to come off... and then the bedliner would need to come out (which is entrapped by the topper). Normally I'd agree to pull the bed but if you have a plastic bedliner and a topper, then it may be too much trouble.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Another vote for pulling the bed. did this with my 97 4.5 years ago to replace the filler neck and spring hangers/ shackles. it took me longer to get the bedliner out of the truck than it did to actually pull the bed. just need 2 people to do it. the bed is held on by 6 bolts, three 7mm screws around the filler neck, and unhook the tailight harness. less than 20 minutes work, and you are not on your back trying to support a 20 gallon fuel tank in which even if it had a gallon of gas in it would make it awkward to handle while unbolting or rebolting the straps to hold it in place. Plus on my truck, i have the 4x4 skid plates under the tank that would have to be removed...

AJ

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Another vote for pulling the bed here....

Even it I had to pull a bedliner and topper.

There is also the point where working on a full fuel tank from below is all but impossible.

Additionally if you have a 4x4 you also usually have to remove a skid plate as well...

If you have not needed to remove your bed YET, for some other reason, eventually you will... Antiseeze is your friend when reassembling use it as though the stuff spoils!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have done it both ways and removing the bed is the easiest in my opinion. I also have a topper and bed liner. The bed liner is the spray on type and the bolts are still accessible. I also had access to a fork lift and was able to lift the bed with the topper attached. Yes, that made it easier but I would still vote for removing the bed with no topper or fork lift.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, me too...out of the two ways (there is a third and fourth way but I won't go there) I found lifting the bed was easier and gives you an opportunity to do other work that probably needs to be done if you plan on keeping the truck...

Largely depends on where you are...and, of course, how old/young you are. I didn't mind crawling around like a wounded snake under my truck (wounded after banging my head on the frame and nearly burning my face on a hot exhaust system)...but as I aged gracefully (or not) I found it was better to be on top of things...

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If the tank and straps don't need to be fixed, why not cut an opening in the bed and make a hatch type door? I don't know if a bed cross member or other stuff is in the way?

This posted knowing I can basic fab and weld. :icon_welder:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If the tank and straps don't need to be fixed, why not cut an opening in the bed and make a hatch type door? I don't know if a bed cross member or other stuff is in the way?

This posted knowing I can basic fab and weld. :icon_welder:
That was one of the other two methods I was thinking of...nothing in the way since the rib on the box is aligned with the cross member for the frame runs...at least it was on my extended cab 6' box.

And that is another reason why I liked the box off...when I was doing my spring bushings and shackles I found one of the tank strap supports had rotted out...it would have required removing the bed and the cab to do properly but so much for that effort...I replaced the rear straps so it won't fall down for a long time.

cnord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
the votes are tallied....drop tank or lift bed

Thank you to all that replied.

I tipped up the bed to get access to the fuel tank. I removed the hold down bolts (hassle -- 3 came off using the impact wrench, 3 with a 3 foot cheater) but no damage. I reinstalled the rear two bolts and left about 1/2 of play. This allowed me to tip up the bed, but keeping it attached to the frame. Plenty of room to replace the fuel pump/sender unit.

No need to muck with any of the electrical, just be careful no to lift too high or you might damage the tailgate. I recommend using anti-seize when reinstalling the bed bolts.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals