• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

drivetrain experts apply here

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sooo.... 1998 4.0 5 speed 4x4 ranger, manual 1350 swap, explorer spindle and cv axle swap to eliminate ford's worst 4x4 system ever, now im supposed to need a 95-96 explorer driveshaft to make my t case do its thang on my front diff... well i got one... and the ****er doesn't fit.. im overjoyed :icon_rofl: now can anyone tell me which driveshaft i actually need? cause i don't want to get one custom made.. or could i have the one i got shortened? i want to play in the snow this winter please help :headbang:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is a very important question that needs to be answered correctly beyond any doubt:

Is it a 1350 or a 1354 transfer case? They look very similar, the front output, where the drive shaft attaches are very different.

Also, if it was originally a 4x4, why did the original shaft not work, or was it the 4x4 system that was swapped in?

Last edited:

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1350 manual swapped in had an electric 1354 idk if ya ever saw a 1354e versus a 1350m but you'd know why the original shaft wouldn't work lol

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh, I've seen plenty of them. I work on vehicles every day that have the 1354E, I have a 1354M in my Ranger, it's original 1350M is in my B2, and it's original 1350E is on a shelf in the garage because nobody wants it.

No Explorer drive shaft will ever work for the swap you did because it will have the wrong output.

At this point you have 3 options.

1) Find an 88-90 front shaft.

2) 86 to 90 AUTO front shaft.

3) STX front output kit for the 1350 and reuse the original shaft.

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what vehicles are the first two options from?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
what vehicles are the first two options from?
Well, this is a Ranger/BroncoII/Explorer forum. We are dealing with Ranger/BroncoII/Explorer parts. Only two of those vehicles were in production during the years that I listed, and I told you outright that no Explorer front drive shaft will work for you.

Take that, mull it over a few more minutes, and see if you can guess. Don't think of this as me being a dick, think of it as me encouraging your critical thinking skills.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, adsm08 is correct on the application. And just like he said, he's not being a Dick at all. Anything that he types up and clicks submit will be worth its weight in gold. He encourages learning! And I swear to God, it seems like every time I've had an issue with my rigs that needed fixed fast, and needed an answer he has answered fast, and each time I've tried his answer, it works. He knows his stuff.

Don't take anything personal here. Some members make real big goof ups and the gang might ride em hard about it, but never in a way that isn't constructive. Just like family.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Indeed, he's the magi. I just send my membership dues directly to adsm08... if he wants to pass the $$ along to J. Oaks, up to him. ;^)

NOW... who's got that low-mileage 1354M clogging up their shop, wit' all da FX4 Lvl-II linkages hangin' off it, just gittin' in da way all de time... :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals