• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft?

Stev114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I need to remove the drive shaft on my 2002 RWD Ranger to get at a leaking seal. I talked to one of my friends about doing this and he siad that i would need a special tool to do so. Is this true?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If he considers a 12 point 12 mm socket a "special tool" then yes. I find them to be quite a common item though. Just mark it so you can put it back in in the same orientation to the rear flange or you will get a bad vibration.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
If he considers a 12 point 12 mm socket a "special tool" then yes. I find them to be quite a common item though. Just mark it so you can put it back in in the same orientation to the rear flange or you will get a bad vibration.
I don't get this mark it. I have never marked it and never had any vibration even at 80 mph. Check my specs too, 80 mph is scary shit.
I never even marked it when I had to separate the slip joint on my 2 piece. Just made sure the u joints were in sync.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Like adsm08 said, 12 point wrench is what is necessary. You might also add a little heat, such as a small propane torch to the list. Sometimes those four bolts are stubborn because of the loctite that the factory puts on and the years of rust, the heat helps to break it loose.

I've also always marked the driveshaft so I put it on in the same orientation as when I removed it. Although, the last time I removed it, to do a clutch job, I forgot to line up the marks and just slapped it on there. No additional vibration has been noticed but I may have just been lucky and put it on in the same as it was removed...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't get this mark it. I have never marked it and never had any vibration even at 80 mph. Check my specs too, 80 mph is scary shit.
I never even marked it when I had to separate the slip joint on my 2 piece. Just made sure the u joints were in sync.
You've gotten lucky. The drive shaft is a balanced assembly yes, but the companion flange and pinion are not. If you get them out of phase it vibrates. I threw my one piece rear shaft in and got lucky. I threw my new front shaft in and got it out of phase. If I get over 45 with the front hubs locked, it vibes so bad the steering wheel looks like it is going to fall off.

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
the same thing for me, I had not mark on . I remove my driveline at least 3 times without making a mark,(juste my drive shaft is a good balance ) even though, I sand and paint a bright color

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals