Driver's side seat belt buckle broke (Pic)

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3l and the driver's side seat belt buckle broke and appears to be unserviceable. I am assuming the spring broke on the inside of the buckle. It no longer retains the male end of the belt.

I have looked at a few local junkyards and the compatible buckles I have found were either already broken, and another one I couldn't get out because the torx bolt holding it in stripped. I need to get the assembly pictured that has the middle passenger belt and wire harness. It doesn't look like they separate easily.

Does anyone know where I could find one of these, or fix the current one? I might have to go to a dealer, but I'd like to just order one online if possible. I'm hoping to find a gray one to match.

Right now I'm using the middle passenger female buckle which will get me by until I can fix this.

Last edited:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think LMC sells seat belts...but they are available if you can't find one in the junkyard...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My driver side seat belt is different than yours but it also stuck in the open position. I used a good, light lube to free it up. That was about 6 months ago and it is still working perfectly. Yours may have a mechanical failure but trying to free it up couldn't hurt. I think it was a silicone lube that I used.