• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver's side drum getting hot after brake job

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weird problem - I did a brake job on my '94 and it included new shoes, drums, hardware. The driver's side drum is getting pretty hot and the passenger side one is not - I drove it a few miles and checked it with an IR temp gun - it gets up to about 170 degrees and the passenger side one is at about 90 degrees. It got hot enough to turn the OD of the new drum sort of a straw color.

I tried a different wheel cylinder and star wheel adjuster. Neither made a difference. The shoes are not super tight, I can slip the drum off fairly easily without loosening them.

Kind of at a loss here. Do I have a bad drum maybe? The old brakes were not hanging up at all, they worked fine, I swapped axles to get a different gear ratio and figured I'd do a brake job on it while I had it apart.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Bad bearing at the end of the axle?

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Confirm both shoes are firmly seated on the anchor pin.

If not the park brake cable is too tight.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bad bearing at the end of the axle?
Man I don't THINK so... there is a very tiny amount of lateral play in the shaft but I compared it to a couple other axles in the pile and it's not really any different than those.

I put a dial indicator on the shaft and let the truck run in gear with no drum - just to rule out a bent shaft - there was maybe like 0.005" of runout. Not much.

I guess I could replace the shaft & bearing, I have plenty of spares but let's leave that for a last resort.

Confirm both shoes are firmly seated on the anchor pin.

If not the park brake cable is too tight.
Shoes are seated as far as I remember...I've had it completely apart several times and didn't notice anything weird. I will double check.

Does the parking brake pull on the driver's side first? I didn't adjust it at all, nor have I engaged it... ever... figured since the drum slipped on & off fairly easily I wouldn't need to?

I'm gonna run the drum down to the parts store and see if they can put it on their lathe and rule out a bad drum. This was a $10 Rock Auto closeout item so it's possible it's out of spec.

If that checks out I may swap drums from side to side and see if the problem follows the part.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you can wiggle the park brake strut... the cable isn't too tight. I also think the park brake pulls the passenger side first.

Perhaps a long shot... but the backing plate isn't grooved bad enough to not let the shoe return properly?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@Uncle Gump your expertise was very helpful... thank you.

I think I have it fixed - I changed 3 things:
#1, had the drum turned. The guy who turned it wasn't there when I picked it up but the other guy said they wouldn't have turned a new drum if there wasn't something wrong with it... so I'm guessing it was out of spec somehow.
#2, I did find a shallow groove in the backing plate where the shoe contacts it but only on one of the little pads. I smoothed that out with a flap wheel.
#3, I greased all of those wear pads and the anchor pin. Admittedly I have NEVER done this... never. Didn't feel it was necessary as I've never found any grease there when disassembling old brakes... but it can't hurt.

Took it out for a drive and that drum stayed much cooler. Figured I would take the other side apart & re-check/grease that and found a damn seal starting to leak!!! So now it's torn apart for new bearings & seals, which I should have done to begin with.

Normal looking:
IMG_0850.JPG

This one had a visible groove worn in it.
IMG_0851.JPG

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ya know... I was taught that way in school. It was reinforced by my mentor starting out as a mechanic. His reasoning was to prevent a squeak when braking... which would certainly be a comeback. But it's really two-fold.

If it's squeaking... metal to metal... and it's wearing that dreaded groove.

Another note...

The bigger the squeak... the further out you are on the brake adjustment. If it just a tiny squeak... brakes are probably adjusted fine... but dry and wearing grooves in your backing plates.

Your groove doesn't look that bad... but it might have been enough.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The other side had a groove that was worse but it wasn't dragging so I guess I'm at a loss as to what exactly caused it but am not complaining either.

I did notice that after greasing everything, the assembled shoes return to center by themselves if I push it off center. Prior to that they would not have returned to center at all without pushing them there... so I guess that by itself is a good thing. I will just consider myself educated & do better brake jobs from now on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals