• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver side door rattles excessively 1992 XLT

sauceman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey Guys. The driver side door on my 1992 ford ranger has started to rattle quite a bit. It's as if it is not latched tightly anymore. What do you recommend I do to fix this?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Open the door and stick something in the latch to push it into the closed position so you can see if the latch is worn. My 162,000 mile 93 does the same thing and I'm going to check it as soon as I get everyone else's car fixed.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Loosen the torx bolts on the body side of the latch and tap it towards the passenger side slightly. re-tighten bolts and test to see if it pulls the door in tighter. The weather stripping is probably compressed and allowing the door to rattle. Adjusting the striker/lock plate fixed that on mine.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If none of those fix anything, look at the window guid in the door. I had one that was broken loose in the door of my previous Ranger.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I found the plastic bushing on the latch stud missing on mine. The latch had actually cut far enough into the stud that I was expecting it to break off when i tried to remove it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 87 does this and it cause the head is broke off the bottom mirror stud, allowing thr mirror to rattle around, Only applicable if you have the low mount swingaways

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I found the plastic bushing on the latch stud missing on mine. The latch had actually cut far enough into the stud that I was expecting it to break off when i tried to remove it.
This happened to me on my 92 Explorer. I picked up a new bolt from the "HELP" section at your local auto part store and it cured my issue.

Could it be that something is rattling internally in the door, or is the entire door rattling as if it is not latching tight. If it is the entire door, then the striker bolt bushing is probably your issue.

Cory's2000XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Loosen the torx bolts on the body side of the latch and tap it towards the passenger side slightly. re-tighten bolts and test to see if it pulls the door in tighter. The weather stripping is probably compressed and allowing the door to rattle. Adjusting the striker/lock plate fixed that on mine.
I have rattling in both doors. I've used an impact torque tool. The type you put a socket on the end. Put in / on the bolt/screw and hit with a hammer. Bent the teeth on the T40 TORX socket. It was a snap on socket. They didn't budge. I'm scared to drill out and tap the threads. Because if something goes wrong, I may not be able to repair it. Any suggestions??

sauceman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Did you try loosening it with a vice gr
I have rattling in both doors. I've used an impact torque tool. The type you put a socket on the end. Put in / on the bolt/screw and hit with a hammer. Bent the teeth on the T40 TORX socket. It was a snap on socket. They didn't budge. I'm scared to drill out and tap the threads. Because if something goes wrong, I may not be able to repair it. Any suggestions??

I know this may sound silly, but have you tried loosening it with a vice grip? The only other thing I could think of is maybe a higher quality TORX socket. Once you are able to get the bolt out, you will have to replace the "striker bushing", which is the little plastic piece that goes around the metal door latch. In my photos I have attached, mine are cracked, which is why my door was rattling so much. Replacing them fixed the problem immediately. Make sure when you take the metal latch off, that you properly align it when you put it back, typically there will be a ring from the dust that has accumulated underneath. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used clear tubing for the "bushing" and it works fine.If you can't remove the torx you can just slit the tubing and force it over the post.

Cory's2000XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Did you try loosening it with a vice gr

I know this may sound silly, but have you tried loosening it with a vice grip? The only other thing I could think of is maybe a higher quality TORX socket. Once you are able to get the bolt out, you will have to replace the "striker bushing", which is the little plastic piece that goes around the metal door latch. In my photos I have attached, mine are cracked, which is why my door was rattling so much. Replacing them fixed the problem immediately. Make sure when you take the metal latch off, that you properly align it when you put it back, typically there will be a ring from the dust that has accumulated underneath. I hope this helps.
Mine is not the bolt style striker. Mine is about a 1/4" thick round piece in the shape of a 90° bend

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Mine is not the bolt style striker. Mine is about a 1/4" thick round piece in the shape of a 90° bend
Post a pic of your striker and latch if you've removed the door panels and checked the internals.

look for movement marks on both the striker and latch. Had the same problem on my `04. Striker lost position and just needed to be moved inboard a little, not too much or you'll wear the latch and lose future adjustments. Happened to me right after my daughter slammed the door shut. Latch stayed but striker forced inboard. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 94 is like your's Cory. I noticed that sometimes it closes well and sometimes it doesn't. I think its the upper door hinge that is worn. If you pick up on the rear of the door you can feel some slop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals