• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver Side Airbag Recall - Whats been your experience?

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am told by my local dealer that it takes multiple days to replace driver side airbag for the latest recall.

Something about how pictures need to be taken, and then based on photos some specific parts will be sent by Ford after inspection of the photos.

I dont know, something doesn't add up. The airbag module can be replaced within 10 minutes.

What's been your experience for the latest 2021 recall for Driver Side Airbag?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Passenger side inflator replacement took less than a half hour so I don't know why the driver's side would be any different, it's probably even easier to do the driver's side inflator. I really doubt Ford is gonna pay out for "multiple days" of work to replace such a simple part, the backup at dealers would be insane not to mention them shelling out for rental vehicles is just not gonna happen.

I got my recall notice over a month ago but still waiting on parts to become available. When this happened with the passengers side recall, it was about 6 months between receiving the recall notice and then being notified parts were actually available...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm still waiting on the part(s) to come in for the recall on mine. Like Dirtman, the passenger side only took about 30-45 minutes to do. The driver's side should be about the same. What will be interesting is if and when they do a recall on the curtain air bags in the seats. I believe the 2011 was the only year to get them. But after this recall is complete, those would be the only ones not taken care of and I expect they will eventually have a recall.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm still waiting on the part(s) to come in for the recall on mine. Like Dirtman, the passenger side only took about 30-45 minutes to do. The driver's side should be about the same. What will be interesting is if and when they do a recall on the curtain air bags in the seats. I believe the 2011 was the only year to get them. But after this recall is complete, those would be the only ones not taken care of and I expect they will eventually have a recall.

I think 2010 and 2011 both had airbags in the seats.

I don't think they will ever get a recall for them though even if the inflators suffer the same defect as the front airbags. The danger of the front airbags is from bits of metal flying into your face when they go off. This isn't an issue with the side airbags on a ranger as the metal would just fly at the doors and be of no real harm to anyone. Even if the the inflators are "bad" the airbags otherwise still function normally if you ignore the flying metal part... :icon_rofl:

The reason most of the driver's side airbags weren't recalled at the same time as the passengers side is because Ford had put little drying packs in some of the driver's side bags to prevent moisture build up. The moisture is what causes the problem so Ford insisted the drying packs were enough. They fought it for years and they finally lost and the government made them recall even the ones with the drying packs because they found they still could potentially spit chunks of metal in your face. Again, no threat of this on the side airbags so highly unlikely the government will put up such a huge fight to get those fixed.

Who knows though... By the time they do decided the side airbags need to be recalled airbags will probably be ancient technology and we will all have 'Demolition Man' style securefoam...

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" New Torsion Keys, Added Rear Leaf Springs (Suspension Only)
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Also got the letter about waiting for parts, agreed it should be pretty quick once scheduled. . . Good point on the side bags (have a '11) - - will ask about them when the execute the driver side recall, but don't expect the tech or service department to be able to provide much info. Likely ignored, as you guys noted.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got mine done Tuesday.

Dropped the truck off around 8am, scheduled for 9am, said I would be back around noon. Guy told me it might take all day because they "need to take a bunch of stuff apart" :rolleyes:, well call you when its done.

They called me at 11a telling me it was good to pick up.

I also had them change the oil while they had it, $60, oil change did come with a little hand job to ease the pain (They told me how cool my supercharger was 😊 ). So 2 hours to replace the inflator and change the oil.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Also got the letter about waiting for parts, agreed it should be pretty quick once scheduled. . . Good point on the side bags (have a '11) - - will ask about them when the execute the driver side recall, but don't expect the tech or service department to be able to provide much info. Likely ignored, as you guys noted.
The the Service Desk people didn’t even know the 2011 (and apparently the 2010) even had side curtain air bags. A tech confirmed it but I basically got a blank look when I asked before that.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals